News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Illinois October Challenge

Started by Garand69, October 03, 2008, 09:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garand69

Ok Illinois, our scheduled Appleseed season is over........

OVER.....DID I SAY OVER???....WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR? HELL NO!! NOW WHO'S WITH ME???

While we do not have an Appleseed on the books you have a ton of things that you can be doing to follow through on that 7th step!

First, for you younger Appleseeders who are still in school, WEAR THAT T-SHIRT!!!! It will surely be a topic starter and may even inspire a teacher or two to ask what it is about. Even in my anti-gun area, the teacher response with my Son was neutral to slightly positive. If you are cruelly forced to write one of those "What I did last summer" essays, DON"T FORGET ABOUT THAT APPLESEED SHOOT!!!

Second, for you Appleseed Parents out there, DON'T SLACK OFF THIS WINTER!!! If you can put together a backyard or basement range (I've tried the living room, but the Mean Ole' Wife gets a tad crabby), do it. While a full size 25M rimfire range would be sweet, a 10M Air Rifle or 15ft BB gun range is fine, just make the targets small enough to be a challenge. Also, don't forget Dry Fire Drills!!!! That goes for you and the yoot(s), dry firing by the numbers works very well.

Third, What are you doing with your time? We need Appleseeders to help get the word out at Gunshows, talk up the program at work, we need all the PR we can get. Take a good look at the folks you know. There is a good chance that there is a freind of a freind that has some connections that could help out the Program. Maybe they have some extra land where a DAR could be built, maybe they have a tie to some form of media outlet, maybe they have deep pockets and would like to contribute to the cause with cash, YOU WILL NEVER NOW IF YOU DON'T ASK AROUND AND TALK UP APPLESEED!!!

Fourth, While the Illinois AS schedule is cleared, Wisconsin and Indiana have several upcoming shoots, talk a friend (or 4) into going and go!!! Check midwestern schedules and find the time. Folks have driven to Green Bay for a Bears game, St.Louis & Milwaukee for concerts, and Indy for Indy. And what did they bring back from those events other than a $30.00 T-Shirt??? With Appleseed, you not only get a free T-Shirt, you come home with something extra between your ears and some new and improved skills, HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG!!

Fifth, INSTRUCTORS, INSTRUCTORS, INSTUCTORS, WE NEED INSTRUCTORS!!!! We are planning some Instructor training events in the Mid-West, stay tuned for scheduling. Be active with that Seventh Step and pass on your knowledge!! We will need as many IIT's and Instructors that we can get on April 19th 09, help us out by making the commitment!

Sixth, THIS IS NOT A DRILL, THE CUBS AND SOX ARE OUT OF THE PLAY OFFS AND THE BEARS SUCK, SO GET OF THE COUCH AND GET TO WORK  ;D

>Disclaimer, yes I know it was the Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor, you just don't know your movie classics<
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

johniim

They must use different history books on that side of the lake I alwawys thought it was the Japanese at Pearl Harbor. If it weren't for those Canadians atacking the Alamo there might have been a president Crocket.

Garand69

Quote from: johniim on October 04, 2008, 12:50:42 AM
They must use different history books on that side of the lake I alwawys thought it was the Japanese at Pearl Harbor. If it weren't for those Canadians atacking the Alamo there might have been a president Crocket.

;D I knew putting the disclaimer in fine print would get somebody  ;D Those pesky Cannucks sure can be trouble, I may steal that one!
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

wcmartin1

Quote from: Garand69 on October 05, 2008, 10:31:00 AM
Quote from: johniim on October 04, 2008, 12:50:42 AM

;D I knew putting the disclaimer in fine print would get somebody  ;D Those pesky Cannucks sure can be trouble, I may steal that one!

Sir, Crockett is spelled with two t's.  :P
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Garand69

Ok folks here it is.....

What Illinois needs is this, DEDICATION & COMMITMENT!!!!!

We are currently planning Instuctor training courses in IL, If you are Interested PM me

We are currently working on the 2009 Illinois Schedule. Right now we have 3 Ranges to shoot AS at, Ottawa, Bloomington, and Chillicothe. For 2009 to be a success we need more places to shoot. Are you a member of a private club that could handle us? PM me. Do you know of a public range that could handle an AS? PM me. You know of private property that could handle an AS? PM me!!!!

Are you willing to help with Gunshows? PM me.

If we don't start building Instructor Teams and planning 2009 shoots now, 2009 will be a tremendous flop in Illinois, and that is not one of the above options!!!!

Thank you in advance
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

TreadCarefully

Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

Pappy

Hello Group; I got a call from the father of a Boy Scout, the father was interested in his son getting his rifle merit badge. I told the Father that the Scout would have to read the merit badge book and call me to set up the time.  I set it up for the week end of 18 -19 October. Is there any one else interested in a Mini or a instructors training clinic. I think that we could have a small bit of program and work the Scout through the skills needed to get his badge, The Father is a Guard at the NUKE plant nearby and a x marine, and do`nt give me any of that once a marine always garbage. WHOS IN that all I want to know. I have made a commitment to the Scout and I am sticking by it The invite goes out to all, AS always all are welcome here. PM me if you would like to join in. we can build Illini one shooter at a time Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

TheEditor

Guys,

Sorry I haven't been more help recently.  I've been tied up with a sick young 'un, and if it looks like I fell off the face of the earth, it seems like it to me as well. 

I do have a line on a possible new site for an AS in June 09, near Danville.  I'll keep developing that one. 

TheEditor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

The Guy

We need to get an IBC for this late fall/early winter.

Possible locations are for now in Ottawa, but maybe I can knock oneloose more centeraly located.

Not much shooting is needed, jus a place to gather.  And shout line comands....

Anytime after the second weekend in Nov works fine for me.  15th-16th, 22nd-23rd.  Lets get this cordinated.

Garand69

Come On Folks! I have 2 PM's from Illinoisians interested in following through, where is the rest of you!!!

If you think I'm going to ask The Guy to fit us into his tight Appleseed Schedule to train 1 or 2 fellas how to instruct, your nutty.

Please show some committment so that we can make this worthwhile for all involved!!!

Send me and The Guy a PM with your intentions so we can get the ball rolling.
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Old Glory!

Gosh Garand, I hear you yelling all the way up here in Wisconsin. :o    You can count me in.  Yes, you read that right; it's getting under my skin, and I'm ready to cross the state line; like I haven't done THAT before.    I think we gotta stick together.    For me, IL is only a couple of hours drive.  Either Nov 15-16 or 22-23 would work for me.  HOW ABOUT THE REST OF YOU?!?  Wes? NFMHannah? M.E.? Smorechick?

At Winona (AS #3) Azel wrote IIT on my nametag and I laughed and crossed it off.  Then we went to Manchester, TN  (AS #4) and something happened.  My shooting was better, still plenty of room for improvement though.   I wanted to help out some of the kids and ladies.  Found myself quietly examining everyone else's targets, trying to figure out what they were doing.  So it took me 4 AS's. 

Now, I hear other new Riflemen saying the same thing I said 2 AS's ago, "I just need to shoot some more before I can even think about being an IIT".   

Garand, I see your challenge, and with your permission, raise another.  If you are being asked to become an IIT and have not yet stepped up because you just don't think you have enough experience shooting, GET TO ANOTHER AS. DO WHATEVER IT TAKES, GET TO ANOTHER AS.  This is no time for slacking!   Persevere.  Are you a Rifleman, or not?!?  ;D   The Guy, Garand, Pappy, Sheepdog want us to step up, and SHOUT!  Yes, I hear you get to SHOUT at an IBC.  How much fun is that!

BTW, tomorrow is the Lodi, WI AS and we have 28 pre-regs.  C'mon over!  We will try our best to do honor to the men and women of 1775, and our fellow Riflemen of today.   

Ooops, better get myself on the IIT list so I can help Colycat out tomorrow.  ;)   and get some sleep.   

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Fred

OG, it begins to look like cheeseheads from WI will have to caravan down to IL, and show those slackers how to do it, and how it's done...

Garand, how can you stand it?

Illinoisians, how can you stand it?

What I want to hear is "Fred, we can't stand it - and we aren't going to stand it! Heck, it's bad enough that California - the California we all look down our noses at~ - is coming on so strong we have to keep glancing across the Mississippi to see if they have arrived, yet..."

Isn't there anyone from IL willing to say that? And mean it? And make it happen?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Garand69

Quote from: Fred on October 11, 2008, 10:04:09 AM

OG, it begins to look like cheeseheads from WI will have to caravan down to IL, and show those slackers how to do it, and how it's done...

Garand, how can you stand it?

Illinoisians, how can you stand it?

What I want to hear is "Fred, we can't stand it - and we aren't going to stand it! Heck, it's bad enough that California - the California we all look down our noses at~ - is coming on so strong we have to keep glancing across the Mississippi to see if they have arrived, yet..."

Isn't there anyone from IL willing to say that? And mean it? And make it happen?

Exactly Fred! What is wrong with this State!!

Just because 1/7th of the entire Master Instructor Pool, 1/27th of the entire Active Instructor Pool, 1/30th of the entire Active Basic Instructor Pool, and 2/15ths of the entire Active IIT Pool, Illinoisians think we are good to go!

Just because The Guy Travels Nationwide to spread the Appleseed Gospel, Illinoisians think we are good to go!

Just because TreadCarefully and SheepDog have traveled to Michigan to Instruct Michigan's first Appleseed Ever, Illinoisians think were good to go!

Just because TheEditor put together a great Appleseed Newspaper, Illinoisians think we are good to go!!

ILLINOIS, WE ARE NOT GOOD TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE CANNOT RELY ON THE HARD WORK AND DEDICATION OF A FEW ILLINOISIANS TO BAIL OUT THIS STATE!!! They have enough buckets to themselves, take one and help!

99% of Illinois Appleseed's have had Out of State Assistance in Instruction. A huge THANKYOU to that out of State Help, But what else would you like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Kentucky do for you Illinois? wipe your.............nose!!!!!

Illinois has a handfull of dedicated individuals helping make it happen in the Mid-West and beyond, a HANDFUL. Where are those 31 Illinois Rifleman? Where are those 1.2 million FOID Card holders????

Old Glory has thrown down the glove! She has raised the Challenge!!!

QuoteGarand, I see your challenge, and with your permission, raise another.  If you are being asked to become an IIT and have not yet stepped up because you just don't think you have enough experience shooting, GET TO ANOTHER AS. DO WHATEVER IT TAKES, GET TO ANOTHER AS.  This is no time for slacking!   Persevere.  Are you a Rifleman, or not?!?     The Guy, Garand, Pappy, Sheepdog want us to step up, and SHOUT!  Yes, I hear you get to SHOUT at an IBC.  How much fun is that!

While I have you beat Old Glory, I already am proudly wearing my Orange hat ;D I'll take the challenge of turning it red! How about the rest of you Illinois Slackers!!

We need an IBC, seems 11/15-16 or 11/22-23 is good for Wisconsin, how about Iowa or Indiana?? HOW ABOUT YOU ILLINOIS!!!!!

Don't Forget Ditch Water II!!!

Tell eveyone to have their Rifle lubed and zero'd and get their butts down to the Red Brush Range, in Evansville Indiana on November 8-9, 2008 so that we can kick some Hoosier Butt!

Let's Make It Happen Illinois!!!
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Old Glory!

Fred, Wouldn't you expect that ALL 31 Illinois Riflemen and women, and at least half of the FOID card holders should be attending the IBC in November in Illinois. ;D  Then they could turn me away because the event is full. 8)  It would give me more time to work within the "cheddar prison", setting up a regional/national IBC  :o :o :o 

Then in January you will all be invited to the GREAT LAKES REGIONAL/NATIONAL IBC in Wisconsin.   Our Lodi Winnequah Gun Club/AS liaison this past weekend thinks AS will probably be able to use their brand new Education Center and indoor range for an IBC in January. (see photo below)  We still need to clear it with their board, solidify dates, but it sounds very much like they want their Education building utilized and the RWVA IBC would be a most appropriate use.  Plus, they have shooting out to 1200 yards outdoors. :o  I heard you don't have to do much shooting at an IBC, mostly shouting, but who wouldn't want a chance to shoot at full distance+?!  3 Minnesotan IIT's so far have agreed to attend the IBC in January in Wisconsin, plus some Wisconsin Slackers. 

Ooops, sorry, this is an Illinois challenge post, not a regional challenge post ???   Let's work to get these IBC's on the schedule; both Illinois and Wisconsin.  LET'S GET "GOOD TO GO".  Will start a new thread about the January regional/national IBC. 

ooogeeez cheddarcheez

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Fred

Sounds mighty good, there, OG.

And since it is in Jan, it will give you time to recoup from going down to IL and cleaning their clock.

31 Riflemen (and women) in IL? You can't be a respectable rifleman and fall asleep at the switch - the important one.

Hope you've figured it out by now - anyone can be a rifleman (hey, isn't that what we tell you, at every Appleseed?) - the real task - and challenge - is to become an Instructor -not just any instructor, but an RWVA instructor, the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet.

But you don't do it for "the ego thing" - you do it because willing volunteer Americans are showing up at places all over this country, to be taught history and heritage - and they're counting on YOU to be there, to tell them how to do it, and what it's about.

So, yes, we should expect 31 enrollees in the IL IBC - plus, as the requirements state, allowing for those "near riflemen" to attend - otherwise, they'd get off a hook that they should want to be on.

To pass on the tradition. To be a part of keeping it alive. To ensure it survives for another generation.

Maybe, even, to save a sinking ship.

There are many reasons to become an instructor. I won't even tell you it's fun - I'll leave that to OG. 8)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...