News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Allemans PA April 18th-19th 2009 Celebration Shoot info

Started by B9, October 02, 2008, 01:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4037.msg38809;topicseen#msg38809

Ok people lets start working on getting shooters to the line for this. All the standard and non standard tactics apply. Email, other internet forums postings, calling, writing, swift kick in the pants, word of mouth etc etc. We also are in need of Instructors for this shoot and all others in general. If you have shot Rifleman score, are close to shooting Rifleman score, know someone who is, don't know someone who is, get them and/or yourself in gear and sign up for a Instructor Boot Camp.
Ask your mother, ask your grandfather, ask the counter person at Kmart to attend. I don't care if you have to bride them with visons of candy canes dancing in their heads, we will straighten them up on the line.
April 2009 is a long time from now? BS. It will be here lickity split. Start now.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

burf151

Ed,
I plan on attending this one (my first).  I live only about an hour from the range, so let me know what I can do to help.  I will get busy recruiting other shooters TODAY.  Thanks!   

B9

Quote from: burf151 on October 02, 2008, 03:37:27 PM
Ed,
I plan on attending this one (my first).  I live only about an hour from the range, so let me know what I can do to help.  I will get busy recruiting other shooters TODAY.  Thanks!   

Great! I saw you have been busy learning the Appleseed basics. Looks like you figured out the rule number one.. Step up and help out! Glad to have you here. You can be sure PA will call on you. PM me your mailing address and I can set you up with some things to help get recruits.

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

B9

Medea Benjamin

BrotherDave

Just signed up for the Saturday event, unfortunately not able to attend on Sunday.  If this is as much fun I as am hearing about, I will be attending the fall Appleseed too.

B9

It's fun.
The fall shoot date is not set yet, but hopefully will be soon.
Medea Benjamin

katooutdoors

Count me in, I'll contact you one month in advance.

O0

Truculent turtle

It  is  great  to  see  the  interest!!  Thanks B964, and  all  the  others  for  your efforts.  It  appears  that  I  will  be  one  of  the  instructors  there, so  if there are  questions or  issues  I can  help  solve  this  far  out  just  PM  me.  A  little  closer  to  18 April  I  will  initiate a dialogue  with  the  folks  on  the  ground  there to  get  some  specifics  worked  out.  Just as a  heads  up  one  of  the  first  questions will  be  in regards  to  EMT  support.  I  know  from  experience  that  the  range  is  a  long  way  from  a  doc and  that  cell  phones  do  not  work  there, so....  Wouldn't  it be  great to  have a  doc or a nurse or an  EMT  in  attendence!!!    For  general  info  I  plan  on  being at  the  range  about  noon  on  Friday  with  one  other  instructor  and  hopefully a  couple students, pending  specific  coordination  with  the  range  keeper.  If  it  is  not  raining  sheets  I  would  like  to get  the target  backers  up  on  Friday just  to  save an  hour  on  Saturday.  I  also plan  on  staying at  the  Days Inn  in  Altoona--it  is  ok,  not  too  expensive and  is  close  to a  Red  Lobster.  That  is important  in  that  I  need  to  host  an  instructor  dinner  Saturday night  but  everyone  is  invited to attend.  Looking  forward  to  this!!   Bill

mooney

OK, I guess it's time to chime in now that I am the PA State Coordinator. If anyone has questions or needs info feel free to PM me or email me directly. I have included my number below and my number is also on the Allemans Flyer now. Looking forward to that event.

Now get out there and find us some more shooters!

Who wants to get off the couch and give me a hand in PA?????? Looking for Volunteers one and all!!!!!

We have 2 shoots scheduled now in PA and may have 2-3 more scheduled by April 19th or soon after. I need some help with all the interest I've gathered recently so please STEP-UP!!!

Mooney
PA State Coordinator
pa@appleseedinfo.org
717-580-6151
Mooney

Truculent turtle

Hi  all,  this  is  Bill.  I  posted as a seperate  topic  under  Pa a Welcome to Allemans  letter.  Might be  useful  to  some  if you have time to check  it out.

Truculent turtle

How  to  get  Ready??     I  have  already  fielded  a  couple  questions  on  how to  prepare for an  Appleseed and  those  responses are   in  a  large info  thread  a  little  further  down.  Most  it  says: you  have  already  done  it  by  being  there.  It  goes  on  to say  bringing a  teachable attitude  is a  key, and  practice the  positions  or  at  least  do some  stretching  for a week before.  It  occurs  to  me  though  that  I  could  have  suggested  some  other  valuable  things  to  bring  but didn't.  First  be  on  time, registration  at  0800.  If  you  don't  know  where  the range  is,  give  yourself  some extra time.  If  you  have  not  prepaid and  bring  exact cash  for  registration it  would be greatly  appreciated.  Also  cash for  extras:  I  have  a few  GI  slings,  some  USMC  shooting  jackets, and  some  oval  RWVA  patches.  Second,  be  familiar  with  your  rifle: know  how  it  works, I  mean  really  know (like  doing  it  with  your  eyes  shut, especially  GET  THE  MAGAZINE  OUT  AND  IN  WITHOUT  LOOKING AT  THE RELEASE  OR  MAGIZINE  WELL),  know  how  to  clean  it (bring  the stuff) and  then  the  biggie,  KNOW  HOW  TO  ADJUST  YOUR  SIGHTS.   You  will  learn  more  on  Saturday  morning  if  you  are already  close  to a  25  meter  zero.   Remember  instructors are  not  gunsmiths.  Some  know  something about  specific  rifles, and  some  do  not, so...  it  is  your  rifle after all.

In  an  admin area, remember  everyone  on  the range  will  need  to  sign a  libility release, even  if  you  do  not  shoot.  Another  thing, I  hope  you are  told at  least  twice  but in  the  event  your  are  not:   NO  RIFLES  TO  THE  LINE  UNTIL AFTER  THE SAFETY  BRIEF.

Other  questions??

Truculent turtle

Looks  like  a  full  house, as  I  suspected--AIN'T  IT GREAT!!!  This  might  be  the  last  opportunity  to  relay  final  thoughts  before I  leave  early  Friday  morning  so  here  goes:

There  is  little  to  no  cell signal  there.

If  you are  camping, bring  all  your  food,  water, some  firewood (a  little  is availale)--it  is  too  far  to  run  out  to  the  store  after  you are  there.  The  primary  camping  site  is  down  the  access  road  to  the  right  of  the  range  until about  the  5oo yd  line, and  then across  the range  to  the  left  wood  line, you  will  see  the  road.

If  you are  camping, remember no  spirits  to  help  relive  the days  events.  A  single  incident, however  small,  would  be  a  killer.   Be  especially  aware  of  firearm  safety if  you are  cleaning  them  Friday  or  Saturday  night, remember  very  little  cell  signal.  Again, a  single  incident  would be a  killer  to  the  program.  Please  be careful  of  your camp  fires,  remember  the  only  water  is  what  you  brought  to  drink.

There  will  be  a  instructor  dinner  in  Altoona  on  Saturday  night  that  everyone  is  welcome  to attend,  probably Red Lobster.  It  is  about  45  minutes  away.   I  will  be  staying  in  the  Super  8 at  Altoona.

There  will  be  an  opportunity  for a  short devotional  on  Sunday  morning,  probably  no  more  than  5-6  minutes.  Everyone  is  welcome but  your  attendence  is  entirely  your  choice.

Please  bring  your  own  stapler and  supply  of staples.  Waiting  on  staplers  ALWAYS  slows things  down.

The  ground  is very  rocky,  bring a  good  shooting  pad, and  something  to  cover  it  with in  the  event  of a rain  shower.  Also  a  fold  up  chair,  there  will  be  several  opportunities to  use  it, and  you  will  want to  not  miss out.

Bring  your  own  cleaning gear,  you  will  need  it  Saturday  night.

If  you are  not  use  to  the  sitting  position, at  least  do  some  simple stretching  the  last  couple  days, and  bring  your favorite brand  of  aspiran.

Hearing  protection  is required,  eye  protection  is  optional  but recomended.  A  cap,  sunglasses and  something  to  protect  the back  of  your neck  if  the  sun  is  out  is HIGHLY  recommended.  Bring  some  sunscreen.

Be  there  to  complete  the registration  process  no  later  than  0800  on  Saturday  morning, we  need  to  start  at  0830, SHARP!!!  The  schedule  is  very  full  so  please  be prepared  to  pay attention and  move  fast  for  the  two  days.

If  you  still  need  to  pay,  or  want  to  purchase a  sling, a  USMC  shooting jacket,  an  extra  T  shirt,  or an  oval  RWVA patch,  please  bring  cash.

I  tried,  really did,  to get  a catered  lunch for  the  two  days,  no  such  luck, so  if  you  intend  to eat  lunch,  bring  it.  Lunch,  however light  is  highly  recommended,  you  will  need  to  work at  keeping  your  energy  up  and staying  hydrated.

Be  as  familiar  with  your  rifle  as  possible. Know  how  to  adjust  the  sights,  how  to  clean  it and how  to get  a  magazine in/out without  fumbling.

We  will get  underway  at  0830  on  Saturday,  end about 1830  or  so.  Start  on  Sunday at  0800  and  clear  out  for  the  week  end  about 1700.  It  is  a  full  week end--you  will  be  tired!!  I  will  need  to be  the  last  one  out so please.....

My  cell is  703  801  4741.  I  plan  on  being at  the  range  about  1300  on  Friday  to set  up  target  backers  and  allow  my  instructors  an  opportunity  to  shoot.  If  you  drive  in and see  a  couple  pickups,  mine  is a  big  white  Ford,  please check  in  with  us.

Remember  on  both  days  no  rifles  out  of  your vehicle  until after  a safety  brief.

Any  questions  come  too  mind, just  call.

THIS  WILL BE  GREAT!!!    Bill

Truculent turtle

Ok,  a  new (good)  development.  There  has  been  someone  step  up  to cater  lunch  both  Saturday and  Sunday.  Don't  know  specifically  what  but a  sandwich,  a drink and a bag  of  chips,  or  something  like  that.  This  is  a  good  thing, so  lets  please  try  to  support  the  effort.   thanks,   Bill