News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dublin, Georgia April 5-6

Started by DrJohn, April 07, 2014, 01:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

There were so many bright and positive things to relate about the Dublin, Georgia event the weekend of April 5-6 that it is hard to know where to begin. Thanks in part to the tireless promotion efforts of Melanie H., we had a most respectable number of students. And what a gallant bunch they were, totally undeterred by the threat of heavy rain, they came out prepared to learn marksmanship and the story of our country's birth. Mr. William, your shooting skills and your resilience are most impressive. Wayne, I saw marked improvement in your shooting over the weekend, and I deeply appreciate your offer and your ideas to better market and promote the Appleseed message. Melanie, without your tireless support, this event never would have been the joy and success that it was, from pre-event promotions, to setting up the line directly before the event, to providing wonderful meals for the enjoyment of everyone, we all owe you a deep debt of gratitude. And did I mention you can shoot? I am amazed at the improvement since last year, when you had a hard time keeping all your bullets on paper. Now you are quite a respectable marksman. Dan, Danny and Rocky, you are an inspiration not only in mutual respect and enjoyment of each other's company, but I really enjoyed your mental toughness and dedication to improvement. You are all on the cusp of getting that Rifleman patch. Do so hope you will return and bring your friends with you. Did I say mental toughness? How about Brad and Sam? We almost had to drag you off the line in a drenching downpour Sunday, in a gumbo of gloppy mud. Of such is greatness made. My hat is off to you, and you are welcome on my line eight days a week. Robert, your quiet demeanor belies a whole life devoted to shooting. You so impress me with your quiet professionalism and determination. You will get that Rifleman patch, I promise. Michael, I was so pleased to see you again and hope you enjoyed the experience as much as we enjoyed having you there. You continue to get better and your quiet persistence is an inspiration. Eric and Robbie, you both have such mental and physical skills. If you have the intention to pursue the path of rifle marksmanship, your potential is simply awesome. I certainly hope to see you again at Appleseed. Josh, you have a great attitude of putting forth a reasonable effort, but not urgent desperation. That approach will help you improve at the fastest rate. Plus, I wish I had half your flexibility. Young David, I missed seeing you Friday afternoon and am glad you were able to join us Saturday and Sunday. I think you are doing a great job, working rifles that are still just a bit too big for you. But you are intelligent, resourceful, and you will grow into those rifles all to soon now. Robert, what a pleasure to seer you again, and know that we all share your joy in earning that Rifleman patch Sunday, twice in as many attempts, and with respectable margins, to boot. Well done, sir!

This Appleseed was particularly enjoyable in that we got to spend some time off the firing line getting to know the students, eating meals together, sharing accommodations, and just chatting. Many thanks to Middle Georgia Gun Owners Twin Oaks Range, to Stump and to Dorrie, for their most gracious hospitality and their generous support of Project Appleseed. And especially to our gallant students, without whose support none of this would ever have been possible. Huzza, all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Guardian

Thanks to all who came out this weekend! The group as a whole was more in tune with each other than any other group I've worked with before. Dan, Danny, and Rockie are well on their way. Rockie was man enough to sport a rifle with a pink sling and comb riser on Sunday.

Mr. Bill was stalwart on the other end of the line.

Brad and Sam were a blast to be around all weekend. We had to keep reminding Sam to quit coaching his dad and shoot!  ~~:) ;D

Eric made much progress over the weekend and I look forward to seeing who you can drag with you to the September event.

Wayne was open to every suggestion and continued to improve. Dry firing at home will help you get over the hump.

Rob and Robbie were just a few tweaks away from a qualifying score.

Mike was battling pain all day Saturday, but stuck with it and made good progress.

David discovered equipment is no replacement for skill. We hope to see you back at the next event to continue work on those skills.

Melanie continues to show tremendous improvement. I promise the speed will come with practice.

Josh worked hard to implement the instruction and was a pleasure to work with. His efforts showed on his targets and I think he'll be in line for a different patch soon.

We always have students that are willing to pitch in and help with cleanup, but the group as a whole was always lending a hand. We certainly appreciate all the help cleaning up Sunday in the mud and muck!

I look forward to seeing each of you again on the trail.

Guardian

The tarp was getting lost in the mud, but the shooters kept at it!

DrJohn presented Sam, David, Rockie, and Josh with Young Patriot patches on Saturday.

Roswell got to give out a Rifleman patch to a well deserving Robert on Sunday. Robert shot a qualifying score and then backed it up.

SureShotSpartan

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Reno

This is Robert who shot his Rifleman score Sunday. I would like to thank all of the members of this shoot crew and all of the past shoot crews who have provided me the instruction and advice needed to knock out those tiny targets. Appleseed is where I first learned about building a position with a sling and application of NPOA. Throughout my journey, I was determined to make Rifleman with an iron sighted rifle and not switch to a scope. I kept going when the last two shoots I attended also had plenty of liquid sunshine.

The accomplishment of a goal that I have worked so hard at was a reminder to follow that passion with all that I do. And to set new shooting goals for the future of my Rifleman's life.

Guardian

Huzzah, Reno! And welcome to the forum.

Want to take that rifle to the next level? Come to the Known Distance event in Elberton later in the year! We'll be shooting to at least 400 yards with centerfires and you can see how all this works at actual distance.

Again, congrats on achieving your goal of Rifleman. We'd love to have you join the "shoot crew" too! Orange Hats are available for the asking.

Fabricator

What a great shoot!

Indeed, the threat of rain; one that made good on its promise, had me wondering what the weather would do for the morale of the participants.  Thanks to the preparations by Guardian Dr, John, Scar, Scarlet and others, there were plenty of shelters and tarps to offer a measure of relief from the elements.   I am not certain, but I also believe that the excellent meal (complete beautiful with layered cake) by Melanie aided the otherwise dreary conditions!  I must say that it did my heart good to hear Sam and his Dad show their enthusiasm last week (prior to the shoot) for what was forecasted to be rainy event; they are already fired up for the next shoot.   What an awesome group of participants!  In my very limited AS experience, I can say with certainty, that the positive spirit of the participants helped make this the success it was.   Hats off to all; as always it was a privilege to be on the line with you all!

Fabricator
�The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.�
- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

Roswell

What a great weekend! I was loathe to depart from there and everyone's company on Sunday. The range was so accommodating that it afforded us the ability to just stay there almost the whole time. Many students took advantage of this too which provided for an even greater experience. Oh and the food! Thank you to Liberty Rider, Scar, Scarlett, Guardian, Fabricator and all! Everything was delicious!

Most of all thank you to the students! We could not have asked for better and more teachable attitudes. All of you did great and I loved seeing the improvement. Each of you can make Rifleman with persistence and perfect practice and I am sure you will. It was especially nice to see so many families at this event, something that always warms my heart to see. I hope to see all of you again on the trail soon!

Below are some pictures I took over the weekend...

Dixie Girl demonstrating the prone position as Guardian instructs

About to do some Saturday square dancing the Project Appleseed way!

Fabricator instructed Talking Targets and IMC

Scarlett kept Mr. William company and filled in any gaps he missed

Dixie Girl demonstrated the seated positions for us

Scar and Fabricator instructed the standing position to an attentive crowd (including father and son Rob and Robbie)

4 young Patriots got their youth patches from DrJohn on Saturday afternoon

DrJohn closed out the day with the famous "Give me Liberty or Give me death" speech by Patrick Henry

Sunday was muddy indeed. We had a little break in the morning and shot some AQTs. This is what it looked like when we went on break...

The break brought us indoors for review. Fabricator shown below doing Talking Targets review

Before he had to go, I was fortunate enough to award Reno (Robert) his well earned rifleman patch (223 followed by a 219, on irons, very impressive!).  Well done sir! Huzzah!!! :---

The weekend ended with some group camaraderie in the Georgia red mud (believe it or not, the minivan wasn't the worse one stuck)
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

brianf31

That looks like it was a fun shoot. I hate that I missed it.

Congrats on the rifleman score Robert!
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

scarlett

You guys have lifted our hearts and our hands.  We had both been feeling dragged down.  During this appleseed I felt the love of true friendships.  I think I get more out of the even than any others.  See Dan,Danny and his other son work their line and grow impressively is all I need.  I loved one of my children there and my husband. I came home with my glass half full instead of half empty.  I want to all the i I think we need to always try to make the meals.  That gave us so much time to social time