News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Any upcoming promotional activities?

Started by 509gman, March 26, 2014, 05:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

509gman

I wanted to ask if we already have plans for promoting at local events and spitball some ideas I've had. Sorry if I'm unknowingly stepping on any toes.

First of I was thinking about the Eagle River Lions Club gun show this weekend. 10-5? Saturday and Sunday March 29-30. I know this is real sudden, so I was thinking I'd just go as an attendee on one of the days, wear the t shirt and have flyers to hand out to anyone who shows interest (hope this doesn't piss off the hosts). Lemme know if you think that's a good idea or not.

Second is the opening of Cabela's in Anchorage. I forget what day in April it is off the top of my head, but I know there are a lot of other activities happening there For the event. Has anyone looked into promoting there and then Already?  Same thing for the Great Alaska Sprtsman's Show (no idea when that is).

In closing lemme say I'm willing to help get this kind of thing coordinated, just lack experience to accompany the enthusIasm.
"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

fisherdawg

AA,
No toes to step on! Go for it on the Lions Club gun show.  As I live about 3 minutes from there, call me and I'll join you. Eagleriver and I did the same last year with no prior planning and it was fine.  They have good cheap burgers too and we can grab lunch too. Let me know if you need fliers or Trifolds. If I were you, and I say this because I'm right now doing exactly the same thing, as far promoting atttendance is concerned it's much better to go ahead and do it and apologize later rather than waiting to get permisssion.  And I haven't had to apologize yet.  Seriously, you have been around enough that I know you understand the Mission and you don't need permission. ~~:)
fisherdawg
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

509gman

Got your voicemail fisherdawg, and thank you. It's less asking permission and more coordinating with what may already be and talking about the future. I'd love to link up with you for the gun show. I'm planning on going up on Saturday morning, and probably go out to birch wood in the afternoon to knock the new out of an SKS I bought last weekend (fingers crossed for cheap ammo at the show!). I'll give you a call before I leave my house that day. Lemme know if that timing works for you.

One last note: the sportsmans show is this weekend thur mar 27 through mon mar 30. I won't be going, but it if one of y'all is gonna be there and can take some flyers with you that'd be awesome.

Just trying to throw some ideas out there others can run with.
"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

fisherdawg

I won't make the sportsman show either -- just too much to do.  I've got trifolds, fliers, cards for any that want to go. Remember just getting one new person on the line can lead to....
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

fisherdawg

Quote from: 509gman on March 26, 2014, 11:23:04 PM
Got your voicemail fisherdawg, and thank you. It's less asking permission and more coordinating with what may already be and talking about the future. I'd love to link up with you for the gun show. I'm planning on going up on Saturday morning, and probably go out to birch wood in the afternoon to knock the new out of an SKS I bought last weekend (fingers crossed for cheap ammo at the show!). I'll give you a call before I leave my house that day. Lemme know if that timing works for you.

One last note: the sportsmans show is this weekend thur mar 27 through mon mar 30. I won't be going, but it if one of y'all is gonna be there and can take some flyers with you that'd be awesome.

Just trying to throw some ideas out there others can run with.

Call me when you head this way Saturday am.
;D

Pete!

Quote from: 509gman on March 26, 2014, 05:13:23 AM
Second is the opening of Cabela's in Anchorage. I forget what day in April it is off the top of my head, but I know there are a lot of other activities happening there For the event. Has anyone looked into promoting there and then Already?  Same thing for the Great Alaska Sprtsman's Show (no idea when that is).

Definitely hit up the Cabela's!  We had a good relationship with the one in Hazelwood, MO  .  Each store has a Marketing Manager that handles community events and works with organizations like ours.  Find that person.  Here is an AAR of an event we worked: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=36051.msg264109
-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

fisherdawg

509 & I spent over 2 hours at the Lion's Gun Show in Eagle River, Alaska on Saturday.  We handed out a number of fliers and trifolds.  Notably we talk for a while with WAR -- Wayne Anthony Ross -- paste Nat'l V.P. for the NRA who asked "Why haven't I heard of you?"  I encouraged to look up the Appleseed booth at the Indianapolis convention.  He's a cool guy.
Paul Jenkins, local journalist, opinion writer and radio personality walked.  I accosted him too.  We'll see where it goes.  ;D
fisherdawg