News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Afton, OK March 22-23

Started by TomCat, March 23, 2014, 08:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomCat

Cold Saturday, and colder Sunday but all the shooters stayed through both days.
Motto of Oklahoma:  Labor Omnia Vincit-  "Hard work conquers all."

TomCat

If we had a Fastest Learner Award, Codie would get that.  With very little shooting experience, and using her rifle for the first time, she shot 207 on one of her last AQT's.

TomCat

Oklahoma's only lady I.T. (so far) Carla, shot a Mosin-Nagant for the first time and asked for a second helping.

TomCat

Pictures can be used to show a problem, like a twisted sling.  Scott went on to achieve Rifleman on borrowed ammo.

TomCat

Father/ Son team Steve and Scott, both lefties using "right-handed" rifles, both went on to make Rifleman and accept Orange Hats.

TomCat

Father/ Son team Milton and Landon drove 400 miles to attend this event.  Both are "knocking on the door" to rifleman.  We hope to see them in Norman, OK. in June.

TomCat

We were proud of our Husband/Wife team Marion and Darlene, both in their sixties, who toughed-out both full days of bitter cold wind, and callisthenics of the AQT Grind.

TomCat

Husband/Wife team Jeff and Codie came down from Kansas to do an Appleseed event in anticipation of bringing their twin boys in the future.

TomCat

A big thanks to I.T.'s Mike and Carla, and RH Anthony for assuming duties on-the-spot. Mike and Carla did excellent jobs on DOM, RSO and LineBoss duties; promotions on the way. Anthony did an excellent demonstration of a full AQT for the shooters to see a "full picture" of it. Thanks for "having my back" for the whole event and beginning to assume SBIT duties.

SKSRifleman

This weekend's shoot was a fun time with a great people that braved the un-springlike weather. In fact, we had a little groundhog friend pop out from his home on the top of the berm and watched us for a good duration of the shoot. Then he crawled around the top of the berm, probably still trying to find his shadow hence the cold weather, haha.

This was an excellent group to work with. I would say the persistence award goes to Darlene and Marion. I was impressed with their performance and it was amazing watching them shrink those groups on Sunday through the cold wind. Hope to see them again. Several of Scott's AQT's were beating on the door of expert throughout the weekend. Glad to see him cross the finish line with a score of 223. His dad Steve trailed in right behind him making Rifleman with a 10/22 Takedown Model (I remember Henschman saying that he has never heard of anyone qualifying on takedown 10/22, I guess Steve will be a first). Both Steve and Scott climbed aboard our crew with orange hats (thanks for stepping up!) Milton and his son Landon traveled all the way from Guymon (about 400 mi away) to come shoot with us. They were good guys to work with and they came close to qualifying. Both were previous Appleseed students from a few years ago. Hope to see them in Norman. Jeff and Codie did well and stuck it out with us after class on Sunday to shoot another AQT. Codie came in with a 207 on her last AQT. On Sunday afternoon, the group got to do a little run 'n gun action with some redcoats that were marching toward us. The class had fun showing the redcoats that they knew very well what they are all about. All in all a great shoot.

Well thanks for keeping me on my toes again Tom, got to see a glimpse of what the duties of a Shoot Boss are. There might be a green hat in my future. Thanks Mike and Carla for your help as well. See you all on April 19th!
The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their Houses, and Farms, are to be pillaged and destroyed, and they consigned to a State of Wretchedness from which no human efforts will probably deliver them." - George Washington - July 2, 1776

"Like it or not, everything is changing. The result will be the most wonderful experience in the history of man or the most horrible enslavement that you can imagine. Be active or abdicate, the future is in your hands." - William Cooper

rinkrat

Another great Appleseed with not so great weather. Saturday was cold and Sunday was even colder. But we had an outstanding group who never complained once about the conditions and all received instruction well. We had two new rifleman and at least four more that were knocking on the door all afternoon on Sunday. Tomcat did a great job on his first go at shoot boss and I look forward to working the line with him this year. Thanks to Carla and Anthony for the help on the line as well!

rinkrat

Rifleman Scott and Steve Terry

rinkrat

Rifleman Group photo

rinkrat

On the firing line and group instruction

rinkrat

On the firing line and group instruction!

rinkrat

rinkrat

rinkrat

rinkrat

circle of fire!

rinkrat

Thanks goes out to are new rifleman Scott and Steve for stepping up and taking there orange hat!!

rinkrat

Our groundhog friend that kept a watchful eye on us all weekend LOL

henschman

I'm glad y'all had a good event despite the weather.  It sure is nice to have another Shoot Boss operating in this theatre. ;)  Well done Steve and Terry -- welcome to the Instructor corps.  Yes, that is the first time I've heard of it being done with a takedown.  Good job.  I hope to see everyone next month in Tulsa!
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

TomCat

Ha ha.  That groundhog saw this was a Project Appleaeed event, thus a well-disciplined group of shooters, so he knew he was in no danger as long as he didn't get directly behind the targets where the bullets would go.