News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SGT Robert Evans: Defying the Odds, Single-Handedly

Started by Unbridled Liberty, March 08, 2014, 07:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbridled Liberty

SGT Robert Evans: Defying the Odds, Single-Handedly
By Ashley Brugnone, CMP Writer

At the 2013 Western CMP Games, SGT Robert Evans accomplished what a lot of shooters strive for their entire shooting careers - a Distinguished Rifleman's Badge. For most riflemen, the feat of becoming Distinguished is so big that they must reach for it with both hands, but, for Evans, he only needed one.

See more at: http://www.odcmp.org/0314/default.asp?page=SGTEVANS#sthash.MHWKAnwW.dpuf
http://www.odcmp.org/0314/default.asp?page=SGTEVANS

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Moylan

The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

Two Wolves

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

jmdavis

I've shot beside or been squadded with Robert several times over the past year (Creedmoor Cup, Eastern EIC, Camp Perry). He really is an impressive man and I am proud to know him.  As soon as he earned his Rifle Dinstinguished badge, he started on the pistol.

Last year when we were shooting the President's 100 at Camp Perry. He missed the cut for the top 100 by 2 x's. Most men would have complained or become depressed. I have never heard him complain. He came back the next day to earn his second 10 point leg in the National Trophy Match. He completed his distinguished quest a couple of months later at the Western Creedmoor Cup EIC match with a total of 34 points.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

gonejohnny

I too have been shot beside and squadded with him several times (Butner & Ben Avery). I was a donor when he legged out last October at the Western Games... Definitely not an easy day, especially after 9-days straight... One of the nicest guys around. Truly an inspiration for us all.

- GoneJohnny

Unbridled Liberty

Sounds like a good guy.  Is he instructor material?  If so, are you two actively recruiting him?

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms