News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kill Devil Hills shoot

Started by Redwolf, October 23, 2009, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

I may be off but I think the Google map on the Kill Devil Hill Appleseed shoot is showing the ranges located behind the Writhe Brothers memorial. I believe the range is located on down by Mann's harbor. Nice ranges I am looking forward to being there.

SavageShootr

Thank You Redwolf.  O0

The eventbrite map has been edited to remove the street address, we don't want anyone going to the wrong place.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Stimey

Redwolf is correct.  The range is NOT in Kill Devil Hills.  That's only where the mailing address is.  The physical location of the site is much closer to Manns Harbor, which can be found here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Manns+Harbor&state=NC&country=US&latitude=35.885601&longitude=-75.7631&geocode=CITY

From Manns Harbor, go west on 64 for a couple of miles, then turn south on 264 toward Stumpy Point.  After a couple more miles, there is a shallow right turn onto a gravel county road.  Take it.  Go a couple hundred yards, then turn left at the first opportunity, where there will be a sign announcing you've arrived at the Outer Banks Gun Range, Dare County, NC.

I'm the only instructor signed up for this event.  It's a new location, and there's lots of local interest, but only three pre-reg's.  Could be a good opportunity for any IIT's looking to move up, and I could use the help.  Expecting anywhere from 3-30 participants, as there is newspaper, radio spots, newspaper bills, and local invites to Coast Guard and LE.

Stimey

PS.  I don't plan on camping there.  The site is about a half-mile away from a dumpsite that is frequented by about 30 adult black bears.  I've seen the prints, so I know they also like to search the trash cans on the range at night, which will not affect our shoot, but might make tent camping an exciting adventure.  Campers and pop-ups are OK with the range, though, so if you really want to camp onsite, that would be the way to do it.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

colycat

Stimey,  I have seen with my own eyes, how you southern boys roll. O0  What?  you are afraid of some bears?  I bet they are pretty  small,compared to what we have up here.  I really do not think the bears are up to your abilities to deal with them. $$-0

Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Redwolf

Colycat
I have his back, we can take care of the bears; Us Southern boys just put a Honey Bun in the back pocket of a passer by then get out of the way.  :D
**)

Fred

Quote from: colycat on October 29, 2009, 09:43:17 PM
Stimey,  I have seen with my own eyes, how you southern boys roll. O0  What?  you are afraid of some bears?  I bet they are pretty  small,compared to what we have up here.  I really do not think the bears are up to your abilities to deal with them. $$-0

Coly

Coly, I think it was the "30" and not the "bears" which caught his eye... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Fred on October 30, 2009, 10:19:55 AM

Coly, I think it was the "30" and not the "bears" which caught his eye... :)

What are 30 round magazines for any way?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Stimey

Coly, don't you just get that mental picture of Fred following a bear around with a pail and a shovel waiting to recover one of his instructors?!!

I'm hard enough on the wildlife as it is.  Besides, it might not just be people like us down there.  You know.....

"CITY FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" #)

Talk with ya'll soon.  AAR on Monday.  Tony, I owe you a cigar.  Come on down and claim it soon.

Mike.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.