News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Stillwater, OK Feb. 22-23, 2014

Started by henschman, February 24, 2014, 02:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henschman

Great first shoot of the year!  This was the first event at a new range for Appleseed, in my old home town of Stillwater.  We had an unexpectedly high turnout with lots of last-minute registrants, and had to add onto the firing line Saturday morning.  There were lots of first-time Appleseeders, and lots of kids.  I was impressed by all of these young men and how well they received instruction and persevered.  We had 5 of the 24 shooters make Rifleman... one of the highest ratios we've seen lately!  One made it on Saturday, and 4 on Sunday.  The weather was very nice on Saturday, but turned cold and very windy on Sunday.  One of our Riflemen shot his score early in the morning on Sunday, while the conditions were still pretty harsh, and was awarded the Winterseed patch.  Ivan is a Stillwater local and first-time Appleseeder who got his patch on Sunday, and decided to take the orange hat... welcome to the team, Ivan!  A couple of our shooters went to the 100 yard range late Sunday afternoon with scoped bolt guns, where we learned that the Rifleman's Trajectory is pretty darn accurate.  I particularly enjoyed having my Mom, Dad, and Grandpa on the line.  The range owners are pleased with the way the event went, and have invited us back... be looking for more Stillwater shoots on the schedule soon!  I hope to see all of these folks on the firing line again soon. 

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

TomCat

First we want to recognize our young shooters: Samuel, Noah, and Kurtis.
Motto of Oklahoma:  Labor Omnia Vincit-  "Hard work conquers all."

TomCat

Sunday had a bitterly cold wind with gusts to 30 mph which caused the targets to dance and blow around.  Multiple layers of clothes still didn't keep out the wind.  But these Okies persisted and Josh Metzger earned his Winterseed patch. It warmed up slightly in the afternoon and Aaron Finley, Steven Sturgeon, and Ivan  Rogers earned their Riflemen patches amidst the swirling dust.

TomCat

A good turnout by enthusiastic shooters on Saturday makes it a pleasure to be with such folks.  Our first lady Instructor-in-training in Oklahoma, Carla  "NatureGirl", got her first taste of instructing and demonstrating firing positions.

TomCat

Al demonstrated the prone position with a favorite rifle of his.  Brandon McBride showed he knew what he is about on Saturday afternoon.

SKSRifleman

This was a great shoot. I was pleasantly surprised with the last minute turnout of several shooters. Saturday was awesome, then Mother Nature turned the heater off Sunday but it was fun nonetheless. Congratulations new Riflemen.
The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their Houses, and Farms, are to be pillaged and destroyed, and they consigned to a State of Wretchedness from which no human efforts will probably deliver them." - George Washington - July 2, 1776

"Like it or not, everything is changing. The result will be the most wonderful experience in the history of man or the most horrible enslavement that you can imagine. Be active or abdicate, the future is in your hands." - William Cooper

A-team

I had an awesome time with the Appleseed team. Learned a lot of valuable shooting skills that I plan to put to use and polish even more in the near future. I believe in you all and what you stand for and hope I can contribute to future generations as you have. God bless you all!

spitstickler

Great job, Oklahoma! O0 O0

Nice to see the name of my old stomping grounds in an AAR.

GO POKES!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

K98Al

Thanks for posting the pics Tom! It was nice to demo with that AR. Reminded me of the toy rifles my boys played with years ago!
Seriously, it was a great day Sunday, all the shooters that persisted through the wind and cold showed they had the Rifleman spirit. I have no doubt those folks will persist and get the fundamentals down, and scores up. Really good group of shooters!
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

rinkrat

First Appleseed of the year and what a great turnout. Weather was typical for February in Oklahoma. Started out with temps in the 50s on Saturday to wind chills in the upper teens on Sunday. Despite the weather the shooters persisted and received instruction well. I hope to see all of these folks again this year!!

Riflemen
Brandon McBride
Josh Metzger
Aaron Finley
Steven Sturgeon
Ivan Rogers 

rinkrat

rinkrat

rinkrat

rinkrat

rinkrat

Photos

rinkrat

Group Photo

rinkrat

Photos

rinkrat

Group Instruction

rinkrat

firing line

rinkrat

firing line

TomCat

We had a wide range of ages on the firing line, from grade-schooler's to 88 yrs young.

henschman

My Grandpa was the 88 y.o.  He really enjoyed it, and he was grouping 6-8 MOA by the end of the day.  Not quite Rifleman standards, but good enough to qualify as a DOM anyway!  If I didn't say it earlier, I really appreciate you working with him, Tom.   

The Instructor meal at Eskimo Joe's sure was fun!  I'll see if I can get some of those pics and post them. 

Great pictures y'all... thanks for posting.  I'm looking forward to more events at this location.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

andychicken

I am so glad this event turned out so awesomely...over 20 shooters, and about a 20% Rifleman qualification rate!  Great results, considering how much of the group were Appleseed first-timers!

Missing Sunday- and having to leave early on Saturday- because of my work schedule really bugged me...especially considering how great things ended up out there at the end of both days!  I would've even wanted to try my luck with an AQT on Sunday if it meant a chance at earning a Winterseed patch!   :---

Special thanks to Tom- as usual- for helping us (and me, especially) keep focus after having to brush off the dust and scrape the rust from not putting on any shoots after so long a time.  Hope to see you guys again for a great March event!   O0
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
~George Washington