News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How Isaac Davis did it.

Started by Miller, February 28, 2014, 12:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller

I posted this link down in the rifle sub-forum but thought it would fit well here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWormsx8nug&list=PLX7ShyVYmgCbExTOXCPk-Uy4Wm6mrK4Lm

I first saw this in a middle school history class in the early nineties.
And to cause further confusion among the younger crowd and wistful nostalgia among the elder...
The teacher even had a reenactor (another teacher actually) bring his flintlock in the next day for us to see.

Fearful but resolute.

ItsanSKS

Wow.  300+ hours into making a rifled musket from scratch. 

Master Gunsmith: blacksmith, foundry-man, carpenter, machinist and engraver.

Isaac Davis: Father, Husband, Farmer, Gunsmith, Captain of the Acton Minutemen. 

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

azmule

This would be a good video to show anyone who makes the excuse that their groups aren't tighter because they just have a factory-stock barrel.  I knew that the process was primitive, I did not know that they had to roll and hammer a flat sheet around a mandrel.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

spitstickler

This is one cool video. Amazing...  ..:..
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Miller

And watching him make a lock from scratch.....

Kinda takes a bit of the shine off the AR I "built".
Fearful but resolute.

scuzzy

Quote from: Miller on March 01, 2014, 01:47:51 AM
And watching him make a lock from scratch.....

Kinda takes a bit of the shine off the AR I "built".

LOL - ain't that the truth.

I'd always wondered how they did it back then. Man - talk about labor intensive. And a whole lot of skill and knowledge went into their work.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Engineer shooting

Stock built by Wallace Gusler in 1959 at 19 years old, the young man in the video.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=13852.0
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Johnnyappleseed

Interesting !
Gives even more meaning to " Molon Labe " !
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

BD

Outstanding video.  Many documentaries skim around and skip things.
It's great to watch every part come together.
There is nothing like taking raw materials and transforming them into something incredible.

And yes, it makes all of our home gunsmithing efforts look amateur in the extreme!
Up the Republic