News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tallahassee, Fl. Isaac Davis Memorial Range 18-19 January 2014

Started by Engineer shooting, January 20, 2014, 11:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

The Isaac Davis Memorial Range hosted a scout troop to camp and Appleseed on the range. Smiles were a mile wide teaching young people history and marksmanship, what a great weekend. Typical Florida weather for January:  frost, rain, and then t-shirt weather all in one weekend.

Thanks go to AdobeWalls, Lucky Lori, Sean Shoot Here, Tomblin and the Silver Bullet for their service.  ..:..

We were blessed with a special guest instructor, PHenry who helped along with rewarding good groups with a chance to shoot his portable battle cannon.  :---

After the Appleseed event we invited the Jefferson Long Rifles out to allow everyone students and instructors to shoot flintlocks. I couldn't tell who had a better time the students or the instructors! Thanks Jefferson Long Rifles.  O0 O0
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Fred

NICE-looking range!

And a nice-looking group!

Bet a future improvement is to extend that firing line cover to provide shelter behind the firing line for more people.

All those people who will be showing up, as the result of development of a hard-hitting, effective, productive promo effort. Let's get one of those started!

You guys behind this location deserve a big, patriotic hug from the good ol US of A! Of course, this being the real world, you'll have to make do with less... :) :'(
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Lucky Lori

I attended and helped out at the recent appleseed at the Isaac Davis Memorial Range.  It was  a very large event with many participants.  It was a    truely  wonderful  experience that  EVERY ONE who attend enjoyed !   You missed a   once in a  lifetime  experience  if you  missed it.  TOO bad for you !!   Hope to see you another time.
LUCKY  LORI

AdobeWalls

Cold enough Saturday that I wore insulated Wranglers and a feather coat most of the day. Sunday was mild, with a surprise cold shower first thing. But were we worried? No! Let it rain! The Isaac Davis Memorial Gardens shooting line is now a covered line, with a sheet steel lid high enough to make cannoneers like PHenry snug and non-deafening (a bit more flinching on the line, still). In a country where progress seems inordinately difficult to pull off, our Shoot Boss keeps moving forward.
Scouts were a hoot! Clever, interested, dedicated and speedy getting downrange to see the results of the last course of fire. Having young people on the line brought a completely different feel to the event, most welcome. Instructors learned a lot about fitting rifles, with a tiny brave woman shooting amongst the young lions. Results of the first Redcoat were sobering, but the program covered most of USMC Grass Week by 11:30 and then things started happening. A little too much firehose for everyone, so no new Riflemen were revealed, but it was very clear there are some just about ready for a handsome patch. What made the Scouts different for everyone else? No co-dependent dysfunctional parent-child dynamics! Every man on the line was his own man -- except for the one brave woman in there . . .
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

silverbullet

What a treat to spent the entire weekend at the Isaac Davis Memorial Range and Gardens with 25 or so of my most admired friends. AS instructors, Boy Scouts and Jefferson Long rifles all at the same time! Waiting patiently for warmer weather and the butterflies in Lucky Lori's garden. Now to set out and make it all happen again......

9mm4545

How 'bout some pictures of the targets after the use of those flint-lock fire sticks?  ;) Inquiring minds want to know...
That really really looked like a great shoot. Great job to all those concerned!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Engineer shooting

The Long Rifles were shooting balloons for the enjoyment of the scouts. Someone said later it looked like someone killed a clown from all the debris on the ground.  There was one long two inch diameter balloon Ben made sure it didn't survive the engagement.

Quote from: 9mm4545 on January 21, 2014, 11:33:28 PM
How 'bout some pictures of the targets after the use of those flint-lock fire sticks?  ;) Inquiring minds want to know...
That really really looked like a great shoot. Great job to all those concerned!
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther