News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Harvard, MA Appleseed April 18-19 2009

Started by crak, September 16, 2008, 04:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crak

Post if you're coming and any questions here!
Check your drama at the door.

atmay

I'll be coming to this one with my SKS in tow.

jonathans

i'm new, i'm coming to this one, and i'm going to see about the february athol event as well.

will i need a .22 for either of these or is my AR-15 okay?
adaequatio intellectus et rei; the correspondence of the mind to reality.

Nickle

Either will work. AR may be nice, but a .22 will save you $$$ in ammo cost.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

jonathans

well, i'm concerned with what i've noticed in forum posts that isn't stated in any rules or guides or notices:

hints of a restriction on anything larger than .22 at a 25m range.

i've only got the AR, so i'd have to actually buy the .22 and all the ammo if i couldn't bring it. i mean i could do that.

an excuse to buy another gun? ;D

Nickle

Quote from: jonathans on January 07, 2009, 01:38:48 PM
well, i'm concerned with what i've noticed in forum posts that isn't stated in any rules or guides or notices:

hints of a restriction on anything larger than .22 at a 25m range.

Nope, either the AR or a .22 RF is OK, at either of those ranges. Only places so far in New England where it's ONLY .22 RF is Bennington and Middlebury, both in VT. Both will eventually change, over time.

Quote from: jonathans on January 07, 2009, 01:38:48 PMi've only got the AR, so i'd have to actually buy the .22 and all the ammo if i couldn't bring it. i mean i could do that.

an excuse to buy another gun? ;D

Well, for the cost of 1000 rounds of decent (not great) .223 ammo, you could buy a Ruger 10/22, Tech Sights, all the LTR parts, and a couple thousand rounds of ammo. Cheaper, which means you shoot more for less $$$.  O0

That's why some of us tend to recommend them so much. That, and when you get done, you've got a good rifle to teach others with. That's the REAL fun.  <:)
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

jonathans

good to know, thanks for the info. i found the LTR thread and it looks like a fun beginner project -- something i need.

the only person i've been able to encourage enough to go shooting is my better half, and after she fired a few guns she bought a stripped RRA lower on gunbroker and started shopping for AR parts. damn engineers. :))

Trainfriend

Hello everyone! I just signed up myself and the Misses for this event in Harvard, MA. I'm really looking forward to it and to meeting some fellow RWVA members. I've got my tweaked out Ruger 10/22 ready to rock.   :~
If you voted for change...you got it. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?

crak

Excellent!  Looking forward to seeing you there. 

And Jonathan,  I'll not forget your vicious assault on the most noble of professions.   >:D

dwarven1

Crak, I dropped off a bunch of flyers (corrected to have the PROPER round count for a New England shoot!) at the Harvard annual meeting last night. They asked me to speak for the Harvard Riflemen... so I did. Handed out some flyers, planted a few Appleseeds.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

crak

Fantastic.  I couldn't make it cause of work :(  Had my renewal all filled out and everything.

Madball13

I'm in! All paid up, got my LTR 10/22 all rigged up and my AR for a back up. I've actually been stretching prone and practicing dry firing. Planning to shoot every weekend for practice.

Trainfriend

Same here. Just picked up my Ruger 10/22 tonight and added the tech-sights.

Note to anyone installing Tech-sights on the Ruger. If the tech-sights don't slide right in, take a flat file and file down the little rib along the bottom of the dovetail on the sight. (a little at a time) At first mine didn't fit but as I filed it down little by little I got the front sight to fit into the dovetail snugly then  locked it in place with the allen set screw.
If you voted for change...you got it. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?

FiremanBill

CRAK -

FF has asked me to collect data for all April 18-19 events -

Can you tell me the maximum number of Appleseeders you can handle on the line at the Massachusetts April 18-19 Appleseed event(s)?

Thanks for your help!    O0

FiremanBill
Historian
IIT2
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Jack Ryan for President!

CQ CQ CQ de N8NRT.....

Francis Marion

David Fischer has been emailed about the Harvard April 18-19 AS; I hope he'll stop by. 
I'm sure somebody will loan him the necessaries should he attend and want to participate.

crak

Quote from: FiremanBill on February 27, 2009, 12:14:44 PM
Can you tell me the maximum number of Appleseeders you can handle on the line at the Massachusetts April 18-19 Appleseed event(s)?

Bill:

The limiting factor is Red Hats, not space.  Just to handle what is signed up right now (33), we need to run two ranges and will need another red hat to do it.  And there's still 6 weeks to go.  If we get north of 45, we'll need to take another range with another red hat on it.

Ninsho

Just throwing this out there: does anyone planning on attending this event have a spare LTR or failing that a .22 that a friend of mine could borrow for the weekend?

Thanks.

jonathans

okay, my better half and i are both signed up and bringing our LTRs. this time i'm definitely gonna shoot rifleman!

gunville

Is harvard full yet?  I have a couple of folks that could be persuaded to attend this one...
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

hawkhavn

Gunville,

Last night's update had Harvard at 93 and there are still a few spots left.
So get them pre-registered now!

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

crak

gunville

Quote from: hawkhavn on April 12, 2009, 09:54:31 AM
Gunville,

Last night's update had Harvard at 93 and there are still a few spots left.
So get them pre-registered now!

Hawkhavn

OK - but what's the deal with out-of-state residents possesing a rifle?

The ila stuff shows it's OK on a range and while "traveling in or through massachusetts" - but I want to understand I can stay at a friends house or hotel and not have issues (this state does not require a FID.)

I've got a browser issue with the registration site I'll put it in once that's square. 
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

crak

Unloaded and in a locked case is good on the way to the range and at the range.

I don't know how legal it is for you to have it overnight in the hotel or at the friend's house unless they have one of our myriad permits, but if you are concerned, I can lock it up for you in a secure location at the range.

Nickle

A reminder to all to keep your ammo in a locked container until you get to the range.

See all of you there!

dwarven1

If you have a carry permit (or possibly an FID card - I have to check that first) from your home state, MA laws allow you to bring your rifle into the state for the purpose of competition. If you print out the flyer for this shoot, that should cover you in that regards.

Transport your rifle in a locked case in your trunk (or the hatch, if you have a wagon or hatchback). Try to make sure it's covered and out of sight. Bring all the ammo you're going to need, as if you do not have a MA FID card or LTC, you CANNOT purchase ammo in this state.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

kDan

Do rifle and ammo both need to be locked up to transport in Ma?  What about through?

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Nickle

Quote from: kDan on April 13, 2009, 05:41:53 PM
Do rifle and ammo both need to be locked up to transport in Ma?  What about through?

Yup, for sure.

gunville

Thanks for the info...

I called the license board office today and asked the young lady about staying overnight. She said that is fine if the rifle is locked up, unloaded (of course.) This is odd, as the law says absolutely nothing about it.

Still, if the range has a safe - I'd rather leave my LTR there than a hotel.

From what I could tell from the laws I read is that "high power" rifles are yet different? I was going to bring my AR for back-up, but I think I'll leave it home... :-[

crak

Law doesn't make a difference with caliber, but if your AR would qualify as an assault rifle under the old federal AWB, leave it home.  We still have that ban.