News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Long-Distance Appleseed for non-instructors, Elbert County, Georgia

Started by DrJohn, November 25, 2013, 12:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

It is with great pleasure that I report the results of Georgia's very first Long-Distance Appleseed event for non-instructors, a one day event format in this case. It is highly evident that all eight of our highly motivated students had prepared extensively for this event, which was shown by the excellence of their marksmanship and the depth of their questions and comments. We began, as usual, with a Safety Briefing, but it was clear our students had internalized safety procedures deeply before their arrival. This was the safest and most pleasant event this instructor has ever worked, a comment made by several instructors. After our initial evaluation target, a 100-yard AQT target posted at 100 yards and shot in prone, we briefly reviewed Sling Use and Steady Hold Factors in prone, the Six Steps, Natural Point of Aim and Rifleman's Cadence (but not as briefly as some of our students would have wished...good point!). Then we had an extensive period of Ball and Dummy drill, which we anticipated would be more useful than at normal Appleseed events. We then studied Rifle Data Books and Inches-Minutes-Clicks after going to review our targets, noted any needed sight corrections, recorded our 100-yard come-ups, and made appropriate sight adjustments. We then reviewed Steady Hold Factors in sitting and kneeling, shot another group at the 100 yard target, then reviewed Transitions from standing. After reviewing Steady Hold Factors in standing, we posted a full size AQT at 100 yards before having lunch, where we heard additional stories of marksmanship and Riflemen during our War for Independence, including Washington's retreat from New York, the foraging war in New Jersey, the story of Timothy Murphy and the Battle of Saratoga, and the Overmountain Men and the Battle of King's Mountain.

We began shooting the full-size AQT after lunch, with Stage One at 100 yards. We moved the targets back to 200 yards, shot a sighter group, recorded our come-ups, then shot Stage Two. We reviewed Range Estimation and Wind Compensation, then moved our targets to 300 yards. We shot a sighter group, recorded our come-ups, then Stage Three of the AQT. Finally we moved the targets to 400 yards (they were becoming pretty small by that point!) shot a sighter, recorded come-ups, then shot Stage Four for score. We studied Trajectory and determining Battle Sight Zero for your rifle, then had our award ceremony and benediction.

This instructor was highly gratified by the superb performance of all our gallant students. It was clear that they had all extensively practiced and prepared beforehand. Congratulations to Don B., who scored a 31 out of 40 and earned his Rifleman patch at Actual Distance. A hearty well done to Melissa H. and Don G., who missed qualification at Actual Distance by one point and two points, respectively (they have both qualified at 25 meters and are excellent shots). Congratulations to each and every one of our gallant students. Although we shot only one AQT, and although we used the more demanding scoring system of 30 out of 40 hits to qualify Rifleman, the very lowest score was a 22, and this largely because of equipment problems and failure to get the shots off. You folks are simply amazing. I would choose any one of you to be on my team anytime, and with complete confidence. Not to belabor the point, but in my opinion, most of you are wearing the wrong color hat.

I speak for all the instructors to say it was our distinct honor and pleasure to work with you last weekend. It is my fondest wish that we may see you all again soon. Thank you all for making this such an outstanding event. Huzza!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Roswell

I am so jealous!!!  Looks like y'all had a great event and I'm sorry I was unable to attend.

Congrats to Don B!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Agrivere

I had really hoped to attend this event, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it.  Turns out I got a cold just a few days before, and sadly I was in no shape to be outside shooting all day.  Hope to see another full distance event like this soon!

Safe shooting,

Agrivere
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

Melissa5

Hey Dr. John!  It was great seeing you again and meeting the other instructors and participants.  I'm really glad that I got to participate in the first non-instructor long distance event in GA.  Hopefully we can do again soon.   O0
John 3:16

9/12 Toccoa 219 (rimfire)
2/16 Buford 228 (centerfire)

DEH

It was great seeing everyone again and I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to shoot a Full Distance Appleseed again.  I thought the instruction was well thought out and delivered in a logical sequence.  Good to know I haven't lost my touch, even though I used an ACOG.  35/40

As a note to prospective students:  At this venue, you may want to bring a truck that you don't mind getting beat up.  It will save lots of time in going back and forth downrange.  Please note that I addressed this to students and not instructors.  As one instructor said, his truck had gotten quite beaten up from doing this and instructors are already spending money to come and teach at the shoots.

-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

goose

I second Roswell on the "wish I were there" sentiments.

LD is not my strong suit and just some osmosis could do me good.  Looking forward to more of these, both "under the hat, and on the mat".

Have a great Thanksgiving, Ladies and Gentlemen.

-Goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

Guardian

Sorry for the delay in posting photos. I was having some technical difficulties. Here we go.......

Guardian

A few more.

Guardian

Thanks to the shooters for a GREAT event! You all did very well and were a pleasure to work with. I hope to see you all on the line again.....with a "free" Hat!

Ramblin' Wreck

What a great event! It's gratifying to see the light come on for folks when they realize what works at 25 meters works MUCH farther.  ^:)^

I'm looking forward to more shoots next year in Elberton. I might even bring something to shoot myself.

Huzzah shooters!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

76Patriot

DrJohn, thanks again for all you do.  I really enjoyed getting to shoot a KD.  BTW, I'm ready to change hats; just tell me what I need to do.
"Why stand we here idle?" - Patrick Henry