News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Payson, AZ

Started by dond, September 22, 2008, 01:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

This is a short report, but I wanted to get it started since I probably won't be able to get on the computer for another week or more. Az Gromit and AZ Redhawk 44, helped set up the target line Friday and provided excellent instruction Saturday and Sunday.  The weather was almost perfect then, and for the two days of the AS, only interrupted by some wind on Sunday. Gromit presented all the history in an exciting manner. There were approximately 23 shooters, and only two had been to an AS before. Only one Rifleman was produced, but there were several in the 180s,190s, and 200s. All the shooters were terrific to work with and they seemed pleased with what they learned.  Many plan to persist at Phoenix in November. A nice pavilion provided a pleasant place for lunch and presentations. The range included a concrete floor, and a metal roof for protection from the sun. Redhawk plans to post some pictures soon, so stay tuned.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Scout

Excellent!!! So glad this has come about. Payson seems like it will be a really good location for Arizona. Great job guys! :)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Potroast

Greetings, All. This was my "first" Appleseed shoot, and this is actually my first "posting" on the forum.
The weather was beautiful, but very dry with very low humidity. We are used to it. My son and I attended from Prescott, drove in for the shoot. My son has already told me that he will remember it as long as he lives. I was very glad to see such a good turnout. We'd like all of our fellow patriots in the East know that there are a few of us out West that like marksmanship too.
Thanks to AZ Grommit, AZ Redhawk 44, and DonD for all of their excellent coaching and patience with us all. We didn't make "Rifleman" but now we have sight of the goal and we are working on it. I'm pressing my sons "buddies" [as hard as I dare] to get a couple of them to come out with us to the Nov. Appleseed at Ben Avery in Phoenix. And DonD-   thanks for bringing all the water bottles. We just couldn't seem to get enough to drink while we were there. My hats off to you gentlemen!
"The garbage heap of history is a crowded place" Gen Charles Cornwallis

MOGromit

Potroast,

Welcome to the forum and Appleseed.   Very glad to have you and your son in Payson and hope to see you in November at Ben Avery.

Gromit

MOGromit

The Payson, AZ, Appleseed started cool and clear on Saturday the 20th.  Dond, Redhawk and I had arrived the day before to set up the target line, so we only had to attach the backers on Saturday morning before the shooters started to arrive.

Car after car arrived and we got everyone on the same page to carry their gear, minus rifles, down to the firing line and then themselves over to the registration area staffed by Don's wife, Sarah.  Approximately 26 shooters with some observers too came along to start the journey towards Rifleman status.

After an introduction by Don and covering an intro to the events of April 19th, we covered the safety rules, the process for clearing the rifles and the line commands.  Then it was off to the line to post the first redcoat target and see how we started off.

Of the 26 shooters, we had an impressive showing.  7 qualified at 100, 2 at 200, 4 at 300 and 2 at 400.  A total of 4 headshots were acquired as well.  Only 7 of the 26 failed to qualify.  Takes me back to October, 2007, at Ben Avery.  These Arizonans definitely start off knowing a bit what they are about.  Lots of 22s on the line, a Garand and two M14s, an FAL and 4 or 5 AR platforms rounded out the rifles being used. 

We moved back to the covered "talking shed" area to work through sling usage, the prone position, the 6 steps to firing the shot  and the things we were going to be keeping a special eye on, specifically dragging wood and dancing fingers, as Don pointed out as the most common issues.

Then it was back to the firing line for some 1" square practice, without ammunition at first.  Trigger reset was explained and we had the shooters practice feeling it while dry firing.  NPOA was described and shown how it fits into the 6 steps.  When we got to the point of enough dry fire practice and started putting holes into squares, all 3 of the instructors were definitely feeling pretty good about this weekend.  We started pointing out how all of us would be perfectly happy going home without any spare rifleman patches in our pockets.

We broke for lunch and covered more history, up to the events on Lexington Green.  Don gave a presentation on IMC, and got the whole crew answering questions about how many MOA or clicks would be appropriate for a variety of cases. 

We started into the transitions and fired one practice AQT.  Next a real AQT for score, and sadly for the instructors, didn't get a rifleman at first try.

As it was getting on towards 5 pm, we broke for the day without revisiting the Redcoat target again, but told everyone to return the next morning with these in hand.

Sunday was as nice, if not nicer than Saturday.  Being from the Phoenix valley where the highs are still hitting near 100, the high country at 5000 feet outside of Payson was downright excellent at a peak of 80-85 degrees or so.  19 shooters showed up this morning ready to put their new-found skills to use.

The re-Redcoat showed improvement, with one more 300 yard qualification and 1 more 200.  Everyone qualified at at least 100 yards.

Into the full bore AQT we charged.  Breaking occasionally for a bit more history, for ball and dummy, for carding the sights and for lunch.  Getting close to 4 pm, the instructors were really starting to get nervous as we hadn't had a chance to hand out a patch yet.  But on the last AQT of the weekend we were able to gladly award one to Brandt.  A 217 if my memory serves me well, which was fortunate because if he had hit the 210 mark, we would have been sore pressed to find a watering hole to put to use. 

The final rounds down range that day were as a volley fire on a final Redcoat.  A few shooters found themselves with an effective range of Redcoat bayonet after a long day of AQTs, but everyone enjoyed the exercise.

A final wrap up, promotion of the Appleseed program as all volunteer and the benediction sent everyone on their way home.  Many expressed interest in the next AZ Appleseed, Nov 29th and 30th at Ben Avery just north of Phoenix on I-17 at exit 223.  Would be nice to have it at exit 308, but I'm not upset that it's 85 miles closer.

All in all a fine bunch of shooters, as I've experienced at every Appleseed.

Looking forward to seeing them again, and the friends and fellow shooters they bring along to the next weekend.

Gromit

AZRedhawk44

Pictures:

Getting set up for the day:

Our Rifleman, Brandt:

(He says he's coming to Ben Avery in November.... Orange hat could be waiting for him there ;))

Potroast's son, Sean (being way too flexible and making us all look bad!):

Gromit and Don, hard at work (or is that hardly working?  Hard to tell at an Appleseed on account of the fun scale!):

Scoring targets against a beautiful Arizona backdrop:

Walkin' the line, keeping the inmates on task  ;D:

Diligent practice of prone position:

The ubiquitous LTR:

"Dryfire men, dryfire!  For the love of God, dryfire!":

Scout

Excellent excellent excellent!. A beautiful day and a great location and dedicated instructors. Is there anything more beautiful than a full line at an APpleseed? Great job on getting this thing out and running at Payson Guys.

It looks like it might be a great place to have several more this coming year. ;D Thanks to AZRedhawk, AZ Grommit and to DonD, and to everyone who decided it was worth a few hours of heat. Thank you all for your persistence and dedication, stay on Arizona and drive them on!

Scout   
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Old Glory!

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on September 24, 2008, 12:15:09 AM
Pictures:

Diligent practice of prone position:

Would you look at all those turkey neck/cheek welds!  Good work AZ.

Dond, Please tell Sarah thanks for the crash course on admin in Chillicothe, IL.  Put to good use in Manchester, TN
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion