News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Aug 30-31, 2008 Appleseed, Santa Barbara, CA.

Started by LayloPro, September 02, 2008, 07:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LayloPro

Wow!! I have the honor of starting this thread, about an event that had some fairly historical 1st's in it..... :o 8)

As an AS IIT, it has been explained to me that we should always "expect the unexpected".....for this event, I'll give you some basic data, then we can talk about what made them special......

1) Fred has made the journey out to the "dark & lonely land" a couple of times.....this was one of them.....having him here to "fire hose" history, heritage, marksmanship, attitude and performance, will no doubt provide all who attended with a far better grasp of what Appleseed is "all about".....He is not a complex speaker, preferring to coach things in simple, easy to understand, & digest bits, then to get all verbose about something.....(Oh, was i guilty of that?? ;D)all right...... ;D

2) We had a double Red Hat promotion this weekend, to an instructing couple.....Johnny Appleseed, and SavageShooter have been working this project with everything they have..... If you want an example of hard work & dedication in this program, you need look no further than these two.....Richard is not only one of the most tireless promoters of Appleseed, he has an amazing character trait that enables him to impart positive energy & attitude to anyone who comes in contact with him.....SavageShooter has been our admin guru since we started, and performs all those "behind the scenes" jobs without a hitch......she has been one of our "celebs" to hold on high as an example for the women and girls to see that this -can- be done, & being a gal actually gives some advantages......oh, and guys?? She shot her Rifleman scores with a bolt gun..... ;D ::) :o

3)  I always like 1st's.....there is something great & grand about breaking through the ice of resistance to accomplish something that has never been done before....this Sunday, we had the youngest Appleseed IIT inducted into the ranks.....George (Garth Vadar), son of Wheeler44, came down from the NW/Washington area to help out with his Dad, and receive his orange hat......then followed that by relieving me as line boss, and called the line like a pro. We're looking for great things from this young dude, he has it in him to become one of the very best. Congratulations, George!! You Rock!!! ;D 8) :o

4)  We did not have any Riflemen scores this weekend (altho one fellow would have had he actually shot his target, instead of the one next to his.....perfect 5 too.....bet you he never makes -that- boo-boo again!! ;D)(and there were several who were knocking really hard on the door! 190's-200's ::)) However, and with all the current growth in Cali maybe a bit more importantly, we were approached by -6- individuals who were very serious about becoming IIT's......Both Bob210 & I are somewhat at a loss of which is better....and we finally agreed that in current "speak".... "It's all good!!" ;D 8) ::) These guys all picked up on the value of the program, saw the opportunity, and spent the weekend engaging Bob210 in what they needed to do to climb on board......All I can say is "We will welcome you aboard, guys, you are all very needed here....."  Oh, and they all witnessed this -amazing- reduction in group sizes......their own!! ;D 8) :o "This stuff really works!!" "Yeah!! Ya think??" 8) :D ;D now.....when will they shoot the mystic "Rifleman" score???? ;D 8) ???

There was gorgeous weather, some glitches on Saturday beyond our control (burning car crashed into the entrance road of the range), time constraints, great food everywhere you looked, awesome folks to hang out with and shoot with, scenery you can't get outside of Cali, a range that was not only gorgeous, but -very- accommodating, and that we hope to return to again soon......I believe it was Fred that coined the phrase: "There is no such thing as a "bad" Appleseed"......well, folks, this was one of the better ones we've been to......the type that make you wish they all went this well......

Thanks again to all the folks that took time to show up, listen, learn, & improve.....all the instructors....Fred, Bob210, KoolAid, JohnnyAppleseed, SavageShooter, RockChucker, Wheeler44, and Garth Vadar........love working with -all- of you.

I'll shut up now to let the other folks tell their side of the story, from their perspective......

Oh, one last thing......Fred was smiling....he liked the fact that these were "happy shooters", he had his bag of oranges, and a really good dinner on Sunday night, at a "fancy steak house"......we'll have to take him back there again sometime...... ;D ;D ;D 8)

Peace, with honor,
Laylopro
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

double_action

Thanks for the report Laylopro. I don't have much to add but I want to say thanks to all the instructors and to Bob210 and Fred for bringing Appleseed to Santa Barbara. It was a good time and it was great to have Fred there.

I didn't make rifleman despite my little cheat sheet . . . I guess I'll have to attend another shoot :D
"We were even taking up a collection for double_action, because if he ever got an M1A, we believed he would turn into a good shot!" — Fred

Wheeler44

Wheeler44 here.  I must agree that there are no "bad" Appleseeds. However, when you get to see so many people working hard on their shooting, soaking up the history, dedicating themselves to the Project, even in the face of a few minor glitches. It is rewarding. Very rewarding.  Add seeing your son earn his orange hat and it becomes a moment to remember forever.

Thanks for the wonderful hospitality you folks showed us. Thanks for the experience. Thanks for the oranges.

Thanks,

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

rock-chucker

Great job with the starting thread, LLP.  Impressive use of emoticons, too  ;D

Yes, this certainly was a big weekend of firsts.  I will not repeat the list of people who earned congratulations.  Suffice it to say my hearty congratulations to you all.

Welcome aboard double-action.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a reminder card.  great idea, if that gets you to consciously go through all the 6 steps.  One point of correction though, which is very important.  the two parts of step four are 4a focus your eye on the front sight, 4b focus your MIND on keeping the aligned sights on target (not your eye).  Your mind has an even bigger job to do than your eye!
Hope to see you come out again real soon, and nail that rifleman score.  Keep up the good work!

Wheeler44, it certainly was a pleasure to meet you.  You did an awesome job on the dangerous old men.  THAT'S how you tell a story!
George (garth vader), you rock.  Great to meet you.  You have definitely earned my respect for stepping up as a man and an American.
Keep up the great work you are doing in Washington.  I'd be happy to come over and help you out on your shoots.

What an honor it was to meet you, Fred.  Thank you for coming out to our humble state.  You taught us all a lot, and it was a pleasure to learn from you.  I'll be sure to tell all my old friends down in Texas what high esteem you hold for them! :D.  I moved out here from Texas about ten years ago, and everyone said "why would you move out there?  Californias just a bunch of fruits and nuts!"  They'll be happy to know that we're here to protect them in time of invasion! 
Thank you for pointing out that real Americans DON"T QUIT!

Yes, there certainly were a lot of "firsts" in this shoot.  Reflecting on the current growth of Appleseed, and our goals for the next year, there are going to be a LOT of firsts for a whole bunch of people!  Very exciting to ponder.  We're all about growth on every level, and that in itself puts appleseed and everyone in it in a class by itself.

Thanks Bob210 for making this event possible, and for all the learning opportunities.  I learned a bunch.

Kudos to all of you shooters who showed up and did the work!  I'm very pleased to have met you and worked with you over the weekend.  I can honestly say that I hope to see every one of you again in the near future.  As Bob said, you are not only the cream of the crop, but the whipped cream as well!

R-C

Old Glory!

Quote from: Laylopro on September 02, 2008, 07:27:43 PM

2) We had a double Red Hat promotion this weekend, to an instructing couple.....Johnny Appleseed, and SavageShooter have been working this project with everything they have..... If you want an example of hard work & dedication in this program, you need look no further than these two.....Richard is not only one of the most tireless promoters of Appleseed, he has an amazing character trait that enables him to impart positive energy & attitude to anyone who comes in contact with him.....SavageShooter has been our admin guru since we started, and performs all those "behind the scenes" jobs without a hitch......she has been one of our "celebs" to hold on high as an example for the women and girls to see that this -can- be done, & being a gal actually gives some advantages......oh, and guys?? She shot her Rifleman scores with a bolt gun..... ;D ::) :o

JA and Savage!  Congratulations!  You ARE REDHATS!  It is great to read of the AS excitement  in CA in this AAR.  Looking forward to seeing you this weekend in Winona, MN.  It will be an honor to shoot with you.

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

double_action

Quote from: rock-chucker on September 03, 2008, 10:24:04 AM
One point of correction though, which is very important.  the two parts of step four are 4a focus your eye on the front sight, 4b focus your MIND on keeping the aligned sights on target (not your eye).  Your mind has an even bigger job to do than your eye!

Maybe that's my problem. HA HA  :D

Thanks for the correction rock-chucker.
"We were even taking up a collection for double_action, because if he ever got an M1A, we believed he would turn into a good shot!" — Fred

SavageShootr

This was another really great Appleseed. Bob 210 Thank You for making all of this possible. You are an awesome State Coordinator and Shoot Boss.

Thanks to all who attended. You all made this event special. I enjoyed seeing and working with all of you. One thing I noticed about Appleseed attendees. They all have a wonderful attitude. They are always so greatful for the instruction. I wonder if they know how much I learn from each of them? So, I am telling you all, I learned something too. Thank you.

Margo, thank you so much for all of your help with administration. You were a pleasure to be around, we need you in the program. I am certain that you have a lot to offer. PM me.

Shelley, nice job of almost cleaning the Redcoat Target at the end of the day Sunday. nice shooting!! You learned a lot!

Becky, really good improvement from the last Appleseed you attended. Good going girl.

Everybody improved over the two days. I saw scores below 100 on Saturday turn into from 120's to 200's on Sunday. I know of a few that went home and tried out some things at home that helped too.

It was great to have Fred here too. He is an inspiration to us all. His history presentation is so good. Thanks Fred

We have, what I think, is a really good instructor base in California. I am proud to be amongst you all. Thank You Johnnyappleseed, Koolaid, Rock-chucker, Laylopro, Wheeler44, and GarthVader. I learn so much from each of you.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Fred

If I'm waist-deep in good feeling, I must be on a California Appleseed thread - sheeshhh! ;D ;D ;D

Notice all the instuctors are thankful to all the students who came. When was the last time you went to some class where the instructors thanked you for coming?

And called you the cream - and then the whipped cream? ;D

A good Appleseed (yes, they ALL are, but California ones are a little sweeter than the others - gosh, I can hear the Texans puking on that one... ;D).

You do everything you can to help the students shoot better, cause good shooting is always a credit - to the instructors! (And some of you heard me say that - remember?)

Why, we were even taking up a collection for double_action, because if he ever got an M1A, we believed he would turn into a good shot! (You have to know what he was shooting, to appreciate the joke.)

Yes, we were hampered a bit by the 4 PM deadline - we lost at least three, and maybe four, hours of instruction and practice - and those last four hours can be the ones that put people over the top!

I met some of the CA instructors for the first time, and was not disappointed. I met some that soon will be instructors (right, Margo? ;D And Mike?? ;D And Shelley?? ;D BTW, the guys hated Shelley, because this young girl was one of two shooters to show she was effective on the Redcoats at 400 yards - I'd be mad too, if she beat me... >:( ;D...and my battle rifle... ::) :D)

We learned that the goal is to persist - to take the skills home, and hone them - that Americans are not quitters - that once you start down the road to being a rifleman, you keep on, until you get there.

And along the way, before and after, you do the all-vital seventh step - get others learning to shoot, and telling them what really happened on April 19th, 1775.

Appleseed California is growing fast.

There will be 13 - count 'em - 13 Appleseeds as California's contribution to the Nationwide April 19th Project on April 18-19, 2009.

This year, there was ONE.

That's a 1300% increase - in one year!

I look for California to confound all the many anti-California critics across this country, by showing the rest of us the way to seize liberty, and take back your country - for the benefit of future generations.

We should have a good crop of instructors from this shoot. If we don't, it'll be because we didn't work you hard enough. So, come back again, and give us another chance! :D

It was a long trip out to CA, but it was worth it. Guess that's all that really needs to be said.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

double_action

Quote from: Fred on September 03, 2008, 04:52:33 PMWhy, we were even taking up a collection for double_action, because if he ever got an M1A, we believed he would turn into a good shot! (You have to know what he was shooting, to appreciate the joke.)

;D Some day Fred, some day. :D

Rob R

Civilian1 (Rob - target 5) sounding off here. First and foremost, it was my distinct honor to have met Fred and personally partake of not only his practical wisdom and instruction, but his philosophy and storytelling as well. His words will ring in my ears and in the ears of my son who is five years old. Fred, a heartfelt thank you will never be enough. Know that a part of you now lives on and inspires me and my family.

Secondly, I have to say that the training was top-notch. The bonding was uplifting. The history was inspiring and motivating.

Bob was outstanding in every way. Thank you Bob.

The range president (Bill? or Phil? sorry) was Top-flight, all the way. THANK YOU!!

I have to say that the location is absolutely stunning.

Next, the minor niggles. I was eaten alive by flies! Jungle juice from REI worked though. The flies seemed to enjoy my "Off!" as an appetizer just before nibbling on my skin.

I drove 388 miles to attend and 388 miles home . . . and it was worth every mile. I'll be back.

See you all next time - closer though, hey?

SavageShootr

Hey civilian1,

Welcome to the forum!  ;D

Wow 388 miles? each way? and you will be back? Awesome!! Work on getting us a range up there. We will come up.  ;D ;D

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

phoneprone

One Appleseed later I got my rifleman score... it was 194 at santa barbara but would've been 214 with .30 rule... I wish I could've made the score at s.b. everyone there had such positive energy and willingness to learn. I thank all the instructors for helping me, teaching me, & letting me do my thing.  ;)
hope to see you all soon
layla
"you have to have the correct peanut butter to jelly ratio"
"If the RWVA rock band must start, it should start here"

Rob R

Hey SavageShootr, we're working on it. Thinking about Circle-S Ranch in Petaluma, CA but it's pretty rough.

http://www.sonomashooting.org/circles.html

There are much nicer ranges south of me, just not in my neck of the woods. Maybe someone else can chime in here on something in East Bay or San Jose areas.

I'll be back and I'll have a couple of recruits with me. I'm hooked and it looks like I'll be a lifer at this point! I'm chatting it up every chance I get.

Thanks for the welcome and all you do.
c1

Quote from: SavageShootr on September 18, 2008, 02:58:36 AM
Hey civilian1,

Welcome to the forum!  ;D

Wow 388 miles? each way? and you will be back? Awesome!! Work on getting us a range up there. We will come up.  ;D ;D

~SS