News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

7 th stepping ex military snipers

Started by Johnnyappleseed, November 26, 2013, 02:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

Many times in the past while 7 the stepping I've had occasion to meet active or former military snipers .
Has anyone else noticed how many ex snipers are running around the USA today ?
Or is this a California phenomenon  ?

What is the best way to recruit these former snipers to help us fill those lines ?

What is the worst way to attempt to recruit these former or active USA snipers ?

Ironically in 4 years active duty, I never had the honor to meet a sniper ! Sheltered life for certain  :)

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

saltypaws

God bless our troops...
Especially our snipers...
"We are paratroopers Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded". ~ CPT Dick Winters ~

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong."

"Make good scouts of yourselves, become good rifle shots so that if it becomes necessary that you defend your families and your country that you can do it." - Lord Baden-Powell, Scouting For Boys

eaglescouter

I too have encountered more than 100 Marine Snipers when discussion Appleseed.

I believe these 'special' operators have a creed which prevents them from appearing at marksmanship based events to preserve their humble nature.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

George Hacker

Invite them to a Libertyseed and tell them there will be free cookies.
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

hawkeye

Attend a sniper shoot , there all over the country. Snipers Hide .com is a good place to find tactical shoots near you.A number of these guys have brought family to an Appleseed and believe in the program. Here's pictures from the one two weeks ago. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.618724731525212.1073741829.453882584676095&type=1

Here's me with my MC-1 Garand at one of the shoots a couple of years ago. This is the Marine Garand with the Kollmorgan scope
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

dragit

I have met an army sniper, and his name is John Hawes, otherwise known as boltgun71 on this forum.  If you live in the vicinity of Pittsburgh, PA I would look him up as he will be attending school there.  Maybe you can talk him into weekend courses to supplement his income. 

Two weeks ago I and several other current and former appleseeders attended carbine and precision rifle courses he gave through BattleroadUSA in TX.  What I learned through him improved my knowledge and skill quite a bit.  I highly recommend his instruction.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

slim

I too have encountered this phenomenon, especially while working the table at the gun show. Seems everyone - especially the Marines - is a sniper.

I banged my head against the wall at first trying to figure out how to get through to these guys but then it hit me, "They're so good already... we need their help as instructors!"

So, I changed up my tactics a bit. As soon as "Sgt. A NEG" told me he was a sniper and didn't need Appleseed's marksmanship training I'd hit him with the mission aspect and how we needed "Good men like him who understood mission urgency and necessity" and how "all that training can be put to good use in saving America."

Thus far, they've all just kind of nodded and walked away. 

hawkeye

I learned a lot from John , he was a great shoot boss.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

TaosGlock

Quote from: hawkeye on November 26, 2013, 04:39:50 PM
A number of these guys have brought family to an Appleseed and believe in the program.
Asking them to attend one of our shoots also works with many military types as well. We have a high percentage of military here in NM. And yes, many have brought their family and buddies who are non military.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

oladcock

Quote from: slim on November 26, 2013, 11:23:08 PM
I too have encountered this phenomenon, especially while working the table at the gun show. Seems everyone - especially the Marines - is a sniper.

I banged my head against the wall at first trying to figure out how to get through to these guys but then it hit me, "They're so good already... we need their help as instructors!"

So, I changed up my tactics a bit. As soon as "Sgt. A NEG" told me he was a sniper and didn't need Appleseed's marksmanship training I'd hit him with the mission aspect and how we needed "Good men like him who understood mission urgency and necessity" and how "all that training can be put to good use in saving America."

Thus far, they've all just kind of nodded and walked away.

Yep, been my experience too. Got a couple theories, one is many of them were probably cooks, the others...Well.....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

hawkeye

Most snipers shoot with a bipod and are not interested in learning to use the sling. I'm one of the few at the sniper shoots with a sling on my rifle. I do use it once in a while. This may be one reason for not showing interest in us. Most of the folks at the shoots I go to are former military from one country or the other.

oladcock

We have to splain it to them it's 2 different disciplines and the skills for one in part crosses to the other. "Their" discipline involves one accurate shot at 1000+ once a week while the rifleman discipline is an accurate shot at 500 or less every 3-5 seconds and their equipment (the way they use it) can't do it. 2 different animals but having tools in the toolbox that are never needed is better than needing it and not having it. I think most feel they are "above" our standards and won't waste their time. That's why most get humbled big time in their first visit if we do get them out there! :) I'm trying to get a local sniper school interested in cross pollinating a bit, so far, they don't seem to be interested in even seeing what we do......O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

jmdavis

Perhaps Appleseed needs to revisit the whole Military seed idea. But I think that the chances of attracting many real snipers or SDMs are not high.

Boltgun protyped the military seed back in 2009, and sold the SC Nat Guard on the idea later that year. But it should be understood that for  military and many others "it is about the shooting." The stories can be motivating, but in the end they are looking for discernible results in the marksmanship of the soldiers.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner