News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Boy Scout Troop "Show and Tell"

Started by Agrivere, January 21, 2014, 10:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agrivere

I had a fun opportunity last month, which I wanted to share.  I was invited by a local Boy Scout Troop to bring along my collection of World War II rifles, and talk to the boys a little bit about the various rifles and their history.  I loaded up the car with about a dozen rifles or so, and set them all up so the boys could see them up close.

Started the session with a review of firearm safety, then asked the boys to tell me about which countries fought in World War II.  Each time a new country was mentioned, I showed them the rifle which was used by that country, and told them a little bit about it.  We ended the session with a short spiel from me about both the CMP and Project Appleseed - I had handouts for both organizations available at the back of the room.  I encouraged the boys and their fathers to check out Project Appleseed, and I hope you'll see some of them on the firing lines!

All in all it was a lot of fun, though the boys surprised me at times with their familiarity with some of the rifles.  As it turns out, many of them had "shot" most of these rifles in Call of Duty.  They were super excited to see them for real, after "shooting" them in their video games. :)  Not surprisingly, they are a bit heavier "for real" than in the video games!

One thing I was curious to explore, was the idea of following this up with a LibertySeed.  I think this would be a fabulous follow-up, but I wasn't sure what the parameters of that might be.  I think they usually have about 30 minute sessions during their Scout meetings, and I'm not sure if that's enough time.  What would be the best "next step" to see if we can get this moving?

Agrivere

"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

PHenry

Agrivere,
Excellent work sir! I was invited to offer the history to a few BSA troupes long before we coined the term "libertyseeds". You are blessed with some serious talent in your area sir and I hold little doubt that you would have trouble finding an instructor to offer history to these boys and their folks. 30 minutes or 90 - we can make it work.

GA instructors - who is near this area? Huzaaaah!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Agrivere

The area where this troop meets, btw, is Dunwoody, which most folks around Atlanta should certainly know, but it's near I-85 and GA 400 for any who might not.

Agrivere
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

Pain Killer

Morpheus is the State Libertyseed Coordinator for GA. Would you be so kind to PM him with the information. Any help you can give him to help set this up would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]