News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hurlburt Field, FL - Oct 26-27, 2013

Started by Engineer shooting, October 28, 2013, 10:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

A safe and encouraging event, thanks to AdobeWalls, Lucky Lori, Blackfog and Alchemist it was one of the best events of the year.

Scores improved over the two days but appeared to level out, and then we demonstrated a rapid fire AQT borrowing a student's rifle off the line. Next thing you know we are hip deep in Rifleman scores!  O0 O0

Posterity calls to us, what are you about?
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Autococker07

This was my first Appleseed, and certainly not my last!  I received more (and higher quality) instruction in two days than I ever received in 20 years of military service, and ~30 years of shooting.  I was greatly impressed by the relaxed atmosphere, albeit with top notch safety, and the aforementioned exemplery instruction.  When I finally applied the correct techniques in place of my horrible habits I was able to eek out a 213, and I believe that a few more of these will help me achieve my goal of being truly comfortable with a long arm.     Thanks Guys and Gal!   I look forward to seeing you all again as soon as possible!   

Jim

AdobeWalls

Our Shoot Boss spent half of Sunday scoring targets. That always means one of two things. Either he made a low test score on his Adult Remedial Arithmetic test, or there are some cooks on the line who mean to earn a Rifleman badge. Turned out, we got three new Riflemen out of eight shooters, and the others were SO close that it's just a matter of time. And Dry Fire.

One of the things that motivates instructors is the obvious progress of shooters, and the excitement they feel when they see those talking targets. It is an as-it-happens kind of thing, and undeniable. But excitement doesn't do it. Smooth does it for them. Because smooth is fast. There is no doubt, though, they are getting their money's worth from Appleseed.

Adaptive Appleseed: The first event I went to, Gainesville FL Apr 2010, a woman walked onto the range the first day, curious I guess, probably was a host range member. She wanted to shoot. She had just been released from hospital, and still had a tracheotomy tube in her throat. Shoot Boss set her up with a table and seat, and in my memory she shot both days and was very good. That was my introduction to Adaptive Appleseed (introduction by action, not theory), but I got the idea.

So what's it like when you retire after 30 years in the Corps? People respect you is what. Had a shooter who was there to refresh his rifle skills. Everything Appleseed teaches was familiar to him, including plenty of getting up and down off the ground. And how uncomfortable the seated positions can be. All readers of these AARs know about this. How to best accommodate such a shooter? Well, we start with getting hits on the target, that would be a fine start. Then go on from there. Pretty much every shooter brings a rifle to the Appleseed. A lightweight flexible shooting rest, why that would be just the ticket for Adaptive Appleseed -- something to go in the travel kit. And a sight pusher, for those rifles with factory iron sights. Hmmm . . . just some thoughts. This shooter will be coming back. So will we!
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

George59

This was my second Appleseed.  Brought my new Son-in-Law along, and after a rough start, he plops down, near the end of the day two "grind", and shoots himself into "Rifleman". So, I've now enjoyed my second Appleseed, and I'm still not caressing my own newly minted Riflemans Badge. My daughter now refers to me as the shame of the family, and I'm officially a "cook".  - Motivation-   It appears I must choose the path of "most persistance". I've already figure out a way to apply the Lucky Lori method in my own backyard.  Three times is the charm.  Already Looking forward very much to the next event.

George

Tomblin

Thanks shooters and instructors for a great weekend event !  It started as a cool, breezy morning Saturday but got sunny and warm enough.  All students listened to both instruction and stories closely.  The instruction paid off for all because Sunday brought much improvement in shooting and scores on AQT'S .  ( and 3 new rifleman scores )  Even though not everyone scored 210 or better, everyone improved greatly !  Shooters were very interested in hearing history and stories.   Remember.... perfect practice makes perfect. Dry fire and...  come on back again.
   Come to a Tallahassee event event (we have them Every month )   WE promise to treat you well on our home turf and range  AND no security checks or  papers needed at the gate.
   Thank you ALL ! 
LUCKY  LORI

Alchemist

One of my favorite shoots! Great students, great instruction and great weather. Hurlburt Rifle and Pistol Club is a great range and first class hospitality.

Hey, you know what?  NO ONE SHOT THE TARGET WIRE!!!

We're invited back to Hurlburt in the spring, but you don't have to wait.  We have a Pensacola shoot coming up December 7/8 and we have plenty of room for shooters. It's only an hour and a half from the Hurlburt gate - not far to go to save our liberty!  Bring friends!

Dry practice November and come earn that patch!

Alchemist

Tim