News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Nampa, ID, AAR - Oct. 26-27, 2013

Started by scoob, October 28, 2013, 10:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoob

Twenty-some truly remarkable Americans showed up to the Nampa Rod and Gun Club outdoor range to learn about rifle marksmanship and the most important day in the history of our country.  You couldn't ask for better weather in an Idaho October, with a nice crisp morning, clear skies, and t-shirt weather in the afternoon.

Congratulations to Dan, our new Rifleman!   ^:)^ 

Please feel free to add comments and post pictures here, and click "NOTIFY" at the top this thread so you'll get an update when someone posts a new comment.

Stay tuned for pictures!
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho
--------------------------------------------------------------
Be sure and LIKE and SHARE our Facebook page: 
Northwest Region Project Appleseed
During the whole affair, the rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance and resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into a regular body. Indeed they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..."Gen. Hugh, Earl Percy

Nero

For those interested in the battle sight zero concept, here's the promised link to Eric's and my article:
Marksmanship: Battle Sight Zero, or Prairie Dog Zero.

We enjoyed working with you all, and were impressed by the progress made the shooters, in spite of equipment challenges.  There were plenty of 'knocking on the door' scores out there, that will turn into Rifleman with some persistence (and dry practice).  We look forward to seeing you again!
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

scoob

Thanks Nero, great article!

Also, as requested:  Downloadable targets location.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho
During the whole affair, the rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance and resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into a regular body. Indeed they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..."Gen. Hugh, Earl Percy

MaKettle v2.0

Thank you, everyone!  Stuart and the entire crew put on a worthwhile learning experience.
It was my 2nd Appleseed--Mark and our son's first one--and we will definitely be back for another.  Our small family had a wonderful time. 

A special thanks to George & the instructors who worked with our little guy.  You all are SO patient.

Fellow-participant Joe, if you are on the forum reading this: Thank you too for the 'kickstand' tip.  I'll be more aware of that next time.

Sheila
Sheila

4kedhorn

Stuart McKim

All you shooters deserve a hearty thanks! You were the most attentive group I've worked with yet and showed the most overall improvement. Remember the big word Persistence? Riflemen persist, and that's how they shoot a Rifleman score. Yes, you mentally become a Rifleman before the holes even get punched in that AQT. :)

I'm looking forward to next year and seeing you back on the line with all those friends, co-workers, and associates that you're going to bring with you. Remember, we want to awaken the spirit of Liberty in the hearts and minds of all Americans!
"Good positions mean good scores. Poor positions mean poor scores. It's as easy as that." - Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle (1943)

George Hacker

Wow!  This was an excellent shoot - great weather, good instructors, and a teachable group of America-loving patriots.  What more could one ask for?

Rob and Ahren, it was great seeing a father and son learn together.  Your groups were shrinking consistently as you applied the 6 steps of taking the shot.

Ed, Rick, and Denny, you all did well.  You took the stories to heart.  Share what you've heard and help us tell others about the patriots of 1775.

Shiela and Mark, it was a pleasure meeting you and working with you and Kai.  Practice what you have learned (dry practice) and you will improve without the need for ammunition.

Sue, we missed you on Sunday.  Thank you for coming out and spending the day with us Saturday.

Clint and Jennifer, you both did well shooting.  I am sure you will improve as you apply what we have taught you.  It was a pleasure to meet you.

Acacia, good shooting.  I am sure you will earn your patch at a future shoot.  Thanks for coming Saturday and supporting your husband.

Marc and Miranda, it was a treat having you on the line.  You were both teachable and focused.

Bill, thanks for coming.  Sorry you had to wrap up early Sunday because of being called into work late Saturday night.  Thanks for being safe and knowing when you had enough.

Joel, I am happy to have met you and worked with you on the line.

Tanner and Evan, good shooting and thank you for being so helpful.  I'm glad you both were able to come out and shoot.

Thank you, Nampa Rod & Gun Club, for hosting us again.  Rod and Jeff helped us with the target line and offered bits of sage advice throughout the event.

Nero and American Amazon, thank you for coming up and helping with this event.  Your storytelling was awesome and advice was helpful.  BlueDevilPA, great job as an instructor at your first shoot.  It was a pleasure meeting you (finally) and working with you on the line.  scoob, it is always a pleasure spending time with you, my friend.  Good job on your instruction and storytelling.  It will become more comfortable as you get more practice.  Stuart, well done on running a safe and effective shoot.  I look forward to working with you again and reading your IAARs in the future,  Huzzah!

Thank you all for helping me to have more fond memories.  Nampa, Idaho is a very special place.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

George Hacker

Here are some pictures that one of the shooters took and shared with us:

Setup on Saturday morning.

First shots were taken in the center square, then the upper-left square, then the upper-right square. It looks like the groups are tightening.

Appleseed events are often a family affair.

After the event, shooters got an opportunity to fire the "greatest battle implement ever devised" - an M1 Garand from the CMP.
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

Wazzu

Thanks to all the instructors, I learned a ton!  This was just what I was looking for to become comfortable and (more) proficient with my rifle.  I also greatly value learning more about my country's heritage.  God knows that we need more of that.  I look forward to passing what I can along to others.

On a side note, I noticed my takedown screw was loose when I got home  :slap: (not that I blame that on any of my scores, it was me behind the trigger; just another learning opportunity).

I look forward to the next one!  Plenty of dry fire practice in my future.

God bless,
Joel

George Hacker

Joel, glad to have you on the firing line.  You were teachable - truly a pleasure to meet and work with.

Here are some more pictures (thank you, Joe, for sharing):

Set-up complete. Grouping up for some instruction.

Scoob is instructing on the use of the sling. ShadowMan is his lovely assistant.

Word of advice, yoga mats, although better than nothing, are not really adequate protection for 2 days of laying on the rocky ground.

Checking location of the holes they made.

"OHMMMM, OHMMMMM."  Not really. It's just a trigger-finger isolation exercise.

Friends.

History lessons they never taught you in school... and while eating lunch.

Some downrange instruction and review.

6 instructors, 21 students, lots of attention for each student.

An instructor trying his hand at the AQT.

Two instructors on the AQT drill.

This qualified "marksman" also gets a try.

Thank you, Stuart, for letting some of the shooters get behind your US Rifle M1.

Nero

Quote from: Wazzu on October 29, 2013, 09:52:46 PM
Thanks to all the instructors, I learned a ton!  This was just what I was looking for to become comfortable and (more) proficient with my rifle.  I also greatly value learning more about my country's heritage.  God knows that we need more of that.  I look forward to passing what I can along to others.

On a side note, I noticed my takedown screw was loose when I got home  :slap: (not that I blame that on any of my scores, it was me behind the trigger; just another learning opportunity).

I look forward to the next one!  Plenty of dry fire practice in my future.

God bless,
Joel

+40 for ditching the inflatable pad  ;D , +20 for the takedown screw, just need some of that dry pactice and you'll be there! 
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

MaKettle v2.0

For those interested in American History-related literature not being taught in schools--as far as I know.
"1776" by David McCullough
http://www.amazon.com/1776-David-McCullough/dp/0743226720
Sheila

George Hacker

MaKettle v2.0,

Here is the main text that we use to prepare Project Appleseed instructors:  "Paul Revere's Ride" by David Hackett Fischer
http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Reveres-David-Hackett-Fischer/dp/0195098315

It is a very easy read and is packed with references and notes at the end if you want to dig deeper.

ShadowMan

MaKettle v2.0

Thank you, ShadowMan!  That was on the list of to-read, too.  I'll be picking it up on the next run to the bookstore.
Sheila

mightymavis

Sorry to chime in late, but I just wanted to say thanks for a lovely time and I'll be sure to do it again now that you've clued me in.  Here is a link to a review on my blog:

http://thebucketwoman.wordpress.com/2013/11/02/keep-your-booger-hook-off-the-bang-switch/

As far as the one thing I would change...I think we need to do some yoga on those yoga mats!  I was starting to feel it there.  Nothing a few sun salutations wouldn't straighten out.  ;)  Plus, consider the comic relief.  I want to see it.  :)  Thanks*m

scoob

Great blog post, especially the title, MM!  Hope to see you and your bro back out there on the next one! 
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho