News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dublin, Georgia Oct. 26-27

Started by DrJohn, October 28, 2013, 11:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

We were blessed at Dublin the weekend of Oct. 26-27 to have had near perfect weather, the usual gracious hospitality extended by Middle Georgia Gun Owners' Twin Oaks Range, as a fine a group of students as one could wish for. After our usual Safety briefing, we began with the Redcoat target, which showed the group had great promise, but yet a bit of work to do. We studied the "tripod" of rifle marksmanship, Sling Use and Steady Hold Factors in Prone (building a strong shooting foundation), the Six Steps (the integrated act of firing the shot), and Natural Point of Aim (the proper way to shift sights onto target and check alignment). We studied the proper rhythm of firing the rifle (Rifleman's Cadence), then learned how to read our targets (Talking Targets) and the proper way to adjust our sights (Inches-Minutes-Clicks). During our lunch break we heard the first part of the Story of April 19, 1775, Strikes One and Two. After lunch we studied Steady Hold Factors in Sitting and Kneeling and then Transitions from Standing. During our afternoon break we heard the last part of the Battles of Lexington and Concord, Strike Three. Then we studied Steady Hold Factors in Standing before we shot our only AQT target of the day, before our final Redcoat.

Sunday we had only six of the eleven students from the previous day, but what we lacked in numbers, we made up in enthusiasm and determination. After a brief review of the previous day's materials and a few sighter targets, we began the "AQT grind", eventually shooting six AQTs as the day wore on. During lunch Sunday we heard more about April 19, 1775, in a series of vignettes we call "Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children." In mid-afternoon, as fatigue began to take its toll and AQT scores began to plateau and fall, we studied shooting at Long Distance. The students opted to forego moving back to shoot at longer distance, choosing instead to fire the final Redcoat target of the weekend as a team challenge, which was not only fun, but demonstrated in a concrete way the value of Rifleman working best as a team.

Kiley, you are a joy to work with and you have great potential as an instructor. You are only one mental error away from that Rifleman patch. You go, girl! Michael, your persistence and your thought provoking questions were an inspiration. And we deeply appreciate your generosity in donating a most excellent admin table, which I have needed for a long time. Thank you. Melanie, your tireless and persistent promotions effort ensured the success of the event. Plus you are a darn fine shooter with a great attitude. Persist and continue to dry fire. And thank you most sincerely for your acceptance of the blue Applecore volunteer hat. Congratulations. Gerald, your determination to perfect your skill in spite of considerable physical limitations was a joy to behold. I certainly hope we see you back at Appleseed again. Rusty, you have such deep talent, I don't think you realize it yourself. One those "scales fall off the eyes", you will be a force to be reckoned with. Persist, my friend. William, you are one tough dude! To forge ahead all day with the conditions with which you are dealing, was awesome! I hope you enjoyed your Appleseed experience. Robert, you are a fine shooter who demonstrated one of the very finest character traits necessary for a fine Rifleman, that of humility...you were willing to empty your considerable cup of experience and give Appleseed a fair try. Thank you, and to your club for its gracious hospitality. David, you and that new rifle of yours are going to be awesome! You are about as determined as I have ever seen, and your kind offer to help with the range setup Friday was most appreciated. I hope to see you again soon. Stacy, you were a superb shooter before you ever came to Appleseed, and you could easily have been aloof and tuned us out. Your willingness to listen was impressive, my friend. And congratulations on that beautiful new patch. I hope we see you again at Appleseed. And Frances, you really impressed me. In spite of physical limitations, shooting with a borrowed rifle that didn't really fit too well, and dealing with a field of activity that was almost totally new to you, you stayed right in there and showed great determination, plus a great attitude. I'd choose you on my team any time.

Thank all our gallant students for one of the most pleasant and productive weekends this instructor has had. Huzza, all!

"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Guardian

The weather could not have been more perfect for an Appleseed event. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend with such excellent company.

Stacy was presented his RIFLEMAN patch by Gen. Stuart (photo below). Stacy is an excellent shooter, qualifying on his second AQT of the weekend, and just a little practice away from clearing the entire target. Stacy, I appreciated your willingness to listen to and implement our methods. I could tell that the message of Liberty and the sacrifice our forefathers made to secure it touched you deeply. I hope you'll join us in our cause and pass that message to others.

Momma (Melanie), thank you for all of your efforts in promoting this event and for seeking a Blue Hat! I'm proud to have another family member pushing the cause! Your marksmanship skills continue to improve and your perseverance is admirable! A photo of DrJohn and Melanie following presentation of her new Hat is included below.

Kiley, I'm proud of your continued improvement and your desire for an Orange Hat! Work on your Rifleman's Bubble (the only thing in the world that matters is the shot you're making) and the last few things will fall into place.

Rusty, your persistence is admirable! You are so close to that patch. Dry firing while focusing on each of the six steps to firing the shot, one at a time and in order, will get you that last little bit you need. You are already a good shooter, so keep your head up!

Mike, you shot very well this weekend and asked some great questions. You pushed yourself all weekend, but also were cognizant of your own well being. Please continue your quest and your pondering of the information provided.

Mr. Bill and Frances, it was a pleasure to meet you both and I look forward to seeing you at future events. Frances, thanks for your patience and willingness to learn a completely new skill. I promise it gets easier with practice!

David, you were one of the safest shooters this weekend. I greatly appreciate your diligence. You overcame your frustrations Saturday and excelled on Sunday, and were an asset to your team in the final Redcoat.

Mr. Shores, your willingness to adapt and overcome was great! I hope you'll join us again.

I know I'm leaving out a couple of people that I didn't have an opportunity to work with personally. My apologies. We had a great group of shooters and this was an enjoyable event. I appreciate your attentiveness and hope you had as much fun as the Instructors did.

DrJohn, thank you for your excellent leadership and encouragement. Instructors, it's always a pleasure to be in your company and learn from you.

Thanks to all for an outstanding event!

SureShotSpartan

It is great to see another successful event in Dublin!  Momma, that hat looks good on you!

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams