News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

first Appleseed tomorrow

Started by emilysometimes, October 18, 2013, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilysometimes

Hello-

Tomorrow is my first Appleseed and I can't wait.  I learned to shoot as a kid (I'm a Texan) but got away from it for a while.  I'm back now and really can't wait to see what Appleseed is all about.  I wanted to do a Ladyseed, but there didn't see there was one in my area till I'd already registered for the regular Appleseed.  I'm sure it will be great all the same.  Hopefully I will report back with a success story.

-Emily
"If enough people think of a thing and work hard enough at it, I guess it's pretty nearly bound to happen, wind and weather permitting."  Laura Ingalls Wilder

malabar

Emily,

the most important thing to bring is a teachable attitude. seriously. everything else is optional.

Bring one and I'm sure you'll have a great day.

I was a smallbore competitor in my youth but hadn't shot a .22 seriously in more than 35 years.  By the end of the first day they had me humming along (and also had me hooked).  It's a great program!

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Audrey

Quote from: malabar on October 18, 2013, 12:28:09 PMthe most important thing to bring is a teachable attitude.

This is absolutely true! Appleseed is great at teaching their method of shooting, provides clear instructions with "why" at every step, and you get to hear excellent stories from early American history.

My advice is to dress in layers, bring ibuprofen on day two, be ready to learn. It is fun; don't be concerned that it's a ladyseed or not. The regular Appleseed events are not bias toward men in anyway instructionally speaking.

emilysometimes

Teachable attitude- check!
Ibuprofen- check!

Thank you!  Did I say that I'm really looking forward to this weekend?   ^:)^
"If enough people think of a thing and work hard enough at it, I guess it's pretty nearly bound to happen, wind and weather permitting."  Laura Ingalls Wilder

George Hacker

Have a wonderful time.  Can't wait to read your after action report.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Pitmaster

Have a great time. I would suggest taking the ibuprofen just before bedtime and again in the morning. A little prevention helps.

Which Appleseed are you attending?
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

fisherdawg

+1 the above
And hydrate hydrate hydrate.
Have fun ;D
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

emilysometimes

I'm attending the Appleseed in Argyle, TX.  After reading these posts, I will definitely bring plenty of ibuprofen!  It's supposed to be sunny and 66F tomorrow- should be a good day!

TomM1Thumb

Emily, You may want to use some sort of Elbow pads, First day of Appleseed is hard on Elbows
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

TimBeatty

This will be a good weekend to shoot and it will have the best weather since last March. If you have any last minute questions about what to bring let me know. I will be there both days.  :~
Tim Beatty

emilysometimes

I had a great time and learned a LOT.  I had planned to go the second day, but couldn't make it due to some family obligations. I signed up for the Ladyseed next week, though.  ..:.. 

I forgot about sunscreen and am pretty burned and sore, but it was totally worth it.  I think the main thing people should bring to an Appleseed besides a teachable attitude is definitely WATER.  I drank all the water I brought along for the day, and then had to go back to my car for more.

I've talked the husband into doing an Appleseed pretty soon, too.

malabar

uh-oh, sounds like we've got another convert.....
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

TomM1Thumb

Emily,

Are You telling Us that He did not take You to an Appleseed event, Kicking and Screaming!!!!

" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

emilysometimes

Nope, I read about Appleseed and signed up on my own.

TomM1Thumb

DeadEyeRed, said Laugh out Loud, You Go Girl!!!!

From the sounds of It, If You and You Hubby, enjoy shooting together, there is No stopping You both.

Enjoy, and think about taking a Hat!

Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Paine

TimBeatty

We enjoyed having you come out on Saturday. You will love the LadySeed. Lauran is on the governors top 20 rifle shooters list. There will probably be a few shooters from Diva Wow that you can network with also. http://divawow.org/
Tim Beatty

Bullet

Glad you enjoyed your first Appleseed, and I'll look forward to seeing you at the LadySeed this Saturday. :) We girls are going to have a great time. Bring your friends too - we still have room on the line!  :~
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

emilysometimes

The Ladyseed Saturday was a blast (ha ha).  We got frozen, sunburned, and rained on.  I'm ready for more!

Thank you Rachel!

Emily

Bullet

You're welcome! Great work! I posted the AAR here - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=38215.0 - feel free to add your comments.

Quote from: emilysometimes on October 28, 2013, 10:56:23 AM
We got frozen, sunburned, and rained on.  I'm ready for more!

Woman after my own heart :)
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

oladcock

Quote from: emilysometimes on October 21, 2013, 05:03:20 PM
Nope, I read about Appleseed and signed up on my own.

You go girl.... I warn the guys if they let their better half's go alone, in short order they'll be shooting circles around them! :) I to, being the common male and shooting since I was big enough to walk, was indifferent about going to a clinic teaching "fundamentals". In part from previous experiences with other 3 letter organizations.  :-X But I gave in to my wife's wishes figuring 2 days of shooting was never a bad thing. Within the first 2 hours I said, WOW! These folks are going to teach me something I wished I'd learned when I was 12 instead of 50! So... Drag him to one and use any threat you think will work! :) FYI...Hint...Hint... We love husband and wife teaching teams, just to plant that seed if it hadn't been already.....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

emilysometimes

Thanks oladcock.  I ask him every day when he's going to sign up.  Husbands and wives teaching together?  That would be awesome!

George Hacker

Quote from: emilysometimes on October 29, 2013, 11:19:45 AM
Thanks oladcock.  I ask him every day when he's going to sign up.  Husbands and wives teaching together?  That would be awesome!

We have a couple of husband/wife teams in the NW Region.  If you want to ask them what it is like, send a PM to Theophilus/Joni and Kimber Custom/Mama Bear.  It is awesome, indeed!

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

dreamerofdreams

My husband and I both instruct, although he's working hard to catch up - I've got my green hat and he's still finding time to move into red.  Admittedly, he did have to take six months off to go to Afghanistan, so I guess we'll forgive him!
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

Audrey

Quote from: ShadowMan on October 29, 2013, 11:55:28 AM

We have a couple of husband/wife teams in the NW Region.

Josh and I don't teach in Appleseed, but we've been on the line together several times. It's a good thing we both got our first Rifleman scores on the same AQT coarse. (: It's a lot of fun.

SniperCat

We have a whole family of instructors much like the NW region.  Three shoot bosses, one red hat, and one orange hat. 

Makes for interesting dynamics on the line and for great family stories.   #)  %)  @)  ~~:)  :~

Hang in there,
SniperCat
Wife of RangeRat (SB), mother of TrebleShooter (SB), SharpEyedFireChild (SB), and Persistent_1 (IIT3)