News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

College Station, TX Oct 5-6, 2013

Started by Sir Not Appearing In This Film, October 10, 2013, 06:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

20 shooters participated in the Appleseed October 5-6, 2013 shoot in College Station, TX. It was nice to have a large number of shooters participating.

Pistolgrip, didactic and myself instructed at the event.

We had a few prior Appleseed shooters in attendance. A Boy Scout group participated - one of their leaders was at the first Texas Appleseed in Mingus, TX October 2006.

1 of the 20 shooters registered Friday AM so he didn't appear on my list. Thankfully he brought his receipt.

The shoot was delayed - I'd spoken with the range owner and thought everything was ready for Saturday morning. It seems non-functional vehicles had been moved onto the range we've been using most often - range owner forgot they were there. This meant we had to move our activity to another berm as automobiles are not in the Appleseed course of fire. Range owner was very kind to mow that range while I taught in the classroom. It was incredibly hot and humid Saturday. The shooters really seemed to absorb the instruction in the air conditioned classroom as the first redcoat target results indicated.

Because of the range situation the first shots did not happen until about 11:00AM - after I had taught he safety, 6 steps to firing the shot and told the First Strike of the Match, etc. in the classroom. I think we made good use of the downtime, but it wasn't the plan when I first set foot on the range. We did ultimately get one AQT completed by day's end.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

The pictures are from Sunday when 16 shooters returned. I didn't have time to take any on Saturday.

Stage 2 preparation period

After transitioning to sitting/prone

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

The wind blew her matt over her head but she persisted. There was more wind Sunday but thankfully lower temperatures due to a cold front. Wind blew several target backers over which delayed a few courses of fire.

During the final of 4 AQTs that were completed this weekend Allen score 238 - a Rifleman's score - HUZZAH!

I believe Allen said he became aware of Appleseed at the NRA convention. Soon after he bought his Ruger 10/22 takedown. When asked how he could get such a high score at his first Appleseed he said he just did what we told him to do.

Delia had problems with her brand new Ruger Takedown 10/22 with Tech Sights. When the front and rear sights were centered the group produced was 20 MOA to the right of the Point of Aim. Adjusting the sights to the far side of their adjustment didn't get them set where they need to be. Another Ruger Takedown barrel was temporarily installed on her rifle and it shot better with that. I'm not sure if Ruger would honor any kind of warranty with Tech Sights installed - to me it is the rifle. Puzzling.

I want to thank everyone for making this the most memorable College Station shoot this year (so far). Thanks especially to pistolgrip and didactic - I could not have done it without you.

Ladyseed Man Slave

Pistolgrip

It was a pleasure working with this great group of Americans.  We saw a lot of improvement though the weekend from the shooters. And it was good to work with SIR NOT APPEARING IN THIS FILM for the first time...and as always was good to have DIDACTIC with us.   ^:)^
"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

sleepy Joe

By the numbers