News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Watervliet, MI September 28-29, 2013

Started by SteelThunder, September 25, 2013, 04:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

Truly a glorious weekend of Liberty in Michigan.  We had 80 degree F sunny weather on Saturday, rain overnight, then high-60 deg sunny weather on Sunday.  NONE BETTER!!

Congratulations to all on a great shoot.  We had a total of 17 shooters, ranging from 10 years old to...well, solidly into the land of Social Security checks.  AND THEY DID GREAT!

We had a husband-wife team who had never handled rifles and they went from basic familiarization to shooting solid groups by the end of Saturday.  3 repeat Boy Scout attendees showed that the lessons of our first AS together stuck.  Pants - thanks for taking a Blue Hat and the next time I shake your hand, I expect it will be for a Rifleman score.

Leon, Nancy, Brian - you all learned marksmanship and heritage lessons well.  It was a pleasure to shoot with you and I look forward to you coming back to more Appleseeds.

We re-minted 3 Rifleman - Tom, Kevin and Lynn showed that they are true RM, requalifying multiple times, helping others, pitching in.  Lynn -- Thanks for taking the Orange Hat.  You'll be FANTASTIC!!  Tom and Kevin, one of these days, I'm going to figure out how to slap a brightly colored hat on your heads.

Our new Riflemen couldn't make me any happier.  Paul repeated several times and showed his old man how to do it.  Bill pounded away with his Garand and finally posted a 210 (and received a shower as a result) and Denise....a 214 and a 228.  You go girl...we knew you could do it.

The dueling tree team competition was a lot of fun.  We'll definitely do that some more.  Standing position, team against team, 10 rounds for each shooter, 30 seconds.  Keep your side of the dueling tree clear.  Strategy, marksmanship, teamwork, communication, persistence.  All great hallmarks of a citizen and a Rifleman.

Special thanks to the Redman's for hosting the instructors for dinner.  Grilled beef tenderloin, roasted potatoes, corn, cornbread, mint chocolate eclair.  You know...just another boring Michigan instructor's dinner.  :)

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Rascal21

What a great weekend! I am so tired tonight, but  managed to get the photos up on FB. Will put the main points on here tomorrow, but if you want to see them now they are on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.430797937030381.1073741837.240556109387899&type=1&l=5b31a4ccd9

SteelThunder

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Daddy O

Good morning,

THANKS to all for making this Waterveliet outing a blast and thank you to the Waterveliet Gun club for allowing us to set up camp in the parking lot. We are most appreciative. I'm looking forward to wearing my new orange hat at a future outing soon! Matt and Pants will be working hard to get that rifeman patch!

Catch all you soon!

Regards,

Daddy O (formerly Troop 110er) Changed name this morning.
:---  :---  :---

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine

SuedePflow

My father and I had a great time.  We learned a great deal about marksmanship thanks to our knowledgable and friendly instructors.  Thanks to all that dedicated their time to make the event happen.  I can say without a doubt that I am a better rifle shooter now than I was when I showed up on Saturday morning.  My father and I will be competing in a rifle match with our AR15s in 2 weeks at the Knob Creek machinegun shoot.  It will be our first time competing in a rifle match and I have no doubts that utilizing the skills that I learned this weekend will help me place much better than I would otherwise.

I will definitely be attending another Appleseed sometime down the road, and I'll be sure to bring some friends with me next time.

-Paul
-Paul
NRA Life Member

SteelThunder

Paul

It was great to have you and Leon on the line with us.  You were a great student and you can clearly rock that rifle.  Congrats on the (multiple) Rifleman scores and PLEASE let us know how the AR15 match goes.  I've always wanted to go to Knob Creek...jealous.

Also...sorry for hitting you with my glove.  Bad aim...I was going for Brooks.  :)

Kris
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Zazzles

You all did great! It was a great shoot shoot with many rifleman!! Hope to see you all again!
Zazzles :) ;D

Rascal21

Highlight Reel  :pop:

Think Waveman needs to change his profile pic :)

One Rifleman

Two Rifleman

Three Rifleman

Four Rifleman

And a NEW Orange Hat

And that was all on Saturday!

Now for Sunday  O0
Zazzles working her way through Whittemore's many weapons

Five Rifleman

And a baptism in the icy cold water for the 210  >:D

And a sixth Rifleman (RIFLEWOMAN)

Plus, we added two new Bluehats to the ranks!

So Six Rifleman in total!!! (okay, so a couple of them were requalifications, but they still count!) and 3 new hats! I think that was a highly productive weekend Shoot Boss!

tomahawk

It was a fantastic weekend. I shot my best ever score of 232. I am pleased with that score, but believe that I could do even better. I attribute my performance to the excellent abilities and patience of the instructors.

It was a pleasure to share the line and the weekend with so many great Americans.

Thank you to ALL of the Appleseed volunteers and instructors, some traveling long distance. Thank you to the shooters who attended.

Ghost Warrior

It was awesome,I couldn't have had more fun (well maybe if I got my patch) but otherwise it was a great weekend.

P.s. Pants is now Ghost Warrior or G.W. Or Ghost whatever works for you!

ruger rat

My third Appleseed proved to be a charm!  (And a shock!)  :'(  (I have been told riflemen don't cry, but I don't care!)  THANK YOU to all the instructors, volunteers and my personal trainers - especially "Mr. Humble" who just had to outshoot my 221 score (might want to correct that above) by ONE measly point on the last AQT.  He won't let me forget about it either!   %)

I was excited to shoot with our "Hot Brass" team: Nancy, Lori, Fred, Beek and Tom.  Newbies:  Once you got the battle of bifocals vs scopes figured out, it was pretty cool, huh?   :cool2:   I thought you all did great!  Julie - we are sorry you couldn't make it.  Take care of that eye and hope to shoot with you next time!

I was really impressed with how many people got repeat rifleman's scores.  You guys amaze me!  I'm with Tomahawk - I want to improve!  If you haven't got to Rifleman yet, don't give up!  You can do it!!

Rascal - thanks so much for so many great pictures of everyone.  Nice way to remember a great weekend with our old and new friends (and relatives).

Thanks to Kevin from the Watervliet Rod and Gun Club.  Perfect place to have an Appleseed!

I never thought my grocery list would include bullets.  My, how times have changed!

Rascal21

Ruger Rat, don't worry about the tears, I did too :) and no worries, you can beat Mr. Humble's score next time  :---

I am very happy to call you friend. Thank you for everything you did to make the weekend an awesome one. See you soon!

Oh, and Grocery lists should always include ammo  O0

Rascal21

blackwolfe

More than a little late logging in and posting, but here it goes.
I didn't really shoot all that well, but not for lack of great instruction.  I'm guess I'm more of a cook than rifleman.........so far.  I learned a lot, just haven't been able to put it all together yet for a Rifleman score.  Had a really great time and great camaraderie.  I want to thank the instructors and other volunteers for the time and effort they put into making this possible.  Hope to see everyone again at another shoot.

Wolfe