News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New to me M1

Started by 2 clicks low, August 22, 2013, 01:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 clicks low

Got a call from CMP and my M1 (SA) will arrive next week.

I can use a lesson on care and feeding, I have never taken one apart nor aside from you-tube, seen it done. I don't know where to oil and where to grease. Heck I don't even know what kind of grease to use.

Also I am looking to buy an extra Gas Tube, preferable SA. I live in an evil place where the bayonet lug is outlawed. I want to buy another and cut off the lug (anyone help with that).
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Boston

2 clicks, bring it to the shoot in Sept. I can bring mine and give you a quick once over. Will also bring you some grease in some little containers.

Don't forget the ammo!  O0

George Hacker

Quote from: 2 clicks low on August 22, 2013, 01:04:24 PM
Also I am looking to buy an extra Gas Tube, preferable SA. I live in an evil place where the bayonet lug is outlawed. I want to buy another and cut off the lug (anyone help with that).

Does the law exempt antique rifles that have historical value?
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

brianheeter

(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

2 clicks low

Quote from: Boston on August 22, 2013, 01:07:16 PM
2 clicks, bring it to the shoot in Sept. I can bring mine and give you a quick once over. Will also bring you some grease in some little containers.

Don't forget the ammo!  O0
Will do.

2 clicks low

Quote from: ShadowMan on August 22, 2013, 01:08:14 PM
Quote from: 2 clicks low on August 22, 2013, 01:04:24 PM

Does the law exempt antique rifles that have historical value?

In the Peoples Republic of Illinois, no.  That makes it an assault rifle.

fisherdawg

Excellent info here:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/
The manual CMP sends will show most points to (lightly) grease.  After some use, anywhere you see shiny metal from rubbing add grease.  There's a world of excellent greases to choose from -- remember the military ran it very reliably with LubriPlate which is zinc oxide based -- that's right the stuff in old fashion sun screen!  Boston T. Party in his Gun Bible loves high temperature wheel bearing grease and I've found it's good, but tends to trap dirt somewhat and it stinks.

I've been using Tetra Grease this year and I really like it.  Give it a try, Fulton has it as does Brownells and many (better) gun shops.  The trigger group does NOT get grease -- light oil.  Again, I'm getting very good results with Tetra Lube.  I had the my M1 ('Irene' btw) out as the Demo rifle at our Aug. 10 & 11 Event in Chugiak, AK. It poured rain most of both days and the inside of my CMP hard case also got soaked.  Immediate rust! -- bolt handle, stacking swivel, hand guard metal! Those older steels need more attention than more modern ones!! Of course I cleaned it thoroughly and hit the rusty spots with Tetra Lube.  The Tetra Lube appears to have completely arrested the rust.

I also have very strong recommendations for EEZ-OX for similiar applications from my fellow instructor vaquero.  I did not have any on hand so used the Tetra. I dry fire regularly, so I am keeping an eye on it.

I highly recommend the  SLED clip, 2 round clip & 5 round clip form Fulton.  I use them all the time.  I found it worthwile, though expensive, to get 10 snap caps to practice loading for AQT's in dry fire.  That will take away any fear of M1 thumb -- which is ALWAYS due to operator error/ inattention.  Fulton also has a Dry Fire block, very very handy.

The idea of these accessories are for the M1 as a shooter, less so as a collectible. My M1 is a CMP Special in .308.  As for accuracy, it's way better than me.  Those sights are so repeatable, so useful.  That's why Patton thought so much of the rifle, in addition to 8 rounds of .30 06 goodness! With practice, I think, just my opinion, in semi auto fire M1 is at no disavantage to to M14.  Reload with the en bloc is fast!

I guess you can tell I like my U.S. Rifle Cal. .30 M1 (Garand) ;D
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

fisherdawg

Also, rather than snap caps for reload practice you might use modified brass -- crimped in around the neck.

Quote from: fisherdawg on August 22, 2013, 02:41:52 PM
Excellent info here:
The manual CMP sends will show most points to (lightly) grease.  After some use, anywhere you see shiny metal from rubbing add grease.  There's a world of excellent greases to choose from -- remember the military ran it very reliably with LubriPlate which is zinc oxide based -- that's right the stuff in old fashion sun screen!  Boston T. Party in his Gun Bible loves high temperature wheel bearing grease and I've found it's good, but tends to trap dirt somewhat and it stinks.

I've been using Tetra Grease this year and I really like it.  Give it a try, Fulton has it as does Brownells and many (better) gun shops.  The trigger group does NOT get grease -- light oil.  Again, I'm getting very good results with Tetra Lube.  I had the my M1 ('Irene' btw) out as the Demo rifle at our Aug. 10 & 11 Event in Chugiak, AK. It poured rain most of both days and the inside of my CMP hard case also got soaked.  Immediate rust! -- bolt handle, stacking swivel, hand guard metal! Those older steels need more attention than more modern ones!! Of course I cleaned it thoroughly and hit the rusty spots with Tetra Lube.  The Tetra Lube appears to have completely arrested the rust.

I also have very strong recommendations for EEZ-OX for similiar applications from my fellow instructor vaquero.  I did not have any on hand so used the Tetra. I dry fire regularly, so I am keeping an eye on it.

I highly recommend the  SLED clip, 2 round clip & 5 round clip form Fulton.  I use them all the time.  I found it worthwile, though expensive, to get 10 snap caps to practice loading for AQT's in dry fire.  That will take away any fear of M1 thumb -- which is ALWAYS due to operator error/ inattention.  Fulton also has a Dry Fire block, very very handy.

The idea of these accessories are for the M1 as a shooter, less so as a collectible. My M1 is a CMP Special in .308.  As for accuracy, it's way better than me.  Those sights are so repeatable, so useful.  That's why Patton thought so much of the rifle, in addition to 8 rounds of .30 06 goodness! With practice, I think, just my opinion, in semi auto fire M1 is at no disavantage to to M14.  Reload with the en bloc is fast!

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

fisherdawg

As for "Field Strip" instructions, those you tube videos are handy.  I found 'iamjackofalltrades' very handy to watch on my iPhone for reference the first few times, but there are many good ones.  Just rember, the op rod is supposed to be bent! ;D

Quote from: fisherdawg on August 22, 2013, 02:44:51 PM
Also, rather than snap caps for reload practice you might use modified brass -- crimped in around the neck.

Quote from: fisherdawg on August 22, 2013, 02:41:52 PM
Excellent info here:

douglas34474

CMP will include a pamphlet titled "Read this First" along with the rifle. Do just what it says, read it before you do anything.  ;) The pamphlet tells you everything a new owner of the M1 needs to know. After you've had your rifle a while you should be able to field strip and assemble it with your eyes closed.  O0

As to the Gas Cylinder, check the B/S/T section of the CMP Forum.

As for grease, either Lubriplate 130A of Plastilube were USGI issue and made specifically for the M1. Both can be found at Brownells.

SLEDs are a waste of time. Load the rifle by dropping a round in the chamber, hold the slide back with the heel of the pal and depress the follower while pushing back on the op rod to release the rod. Let the op rod go forward about 1/2" then let it go home on it's own.

You can find the FM at http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/garand/m1.htm

Have fun.

fisherdawg

douglas34474,
That will definitely work, is it acceptable in NRA HP Slow Fire Prone? +1 on "Read this First" +1 on eyes closed.

Quote from: douglas34474 on August 22, 2013, 03:04:14 PM
CMP will include a pamphlet titled "Read this First" along with the rifle. Do just what it says, read it before you do anything.  ;) The pamphlet tells you everything a new owner of the M1 needs to know. After you've had your rifle a while you should be able to field strip and assemble it with your eyes closed.  O0

As for grease, either Lubriplate 130A of Plastilube were USGI issue and made specifically for the M1. Both can be found at Brownells.

SLEDs are a waste of time. Load the rifle by dropping a round in the chamber, hold the slide back with the heel of the pal and depress the follower while pushing back on the op rod to release the rod. Let the op rod go forward about 1/2" then let it go home on it's own.

Have fun.

fisherdawg

Also regarding the SLED, I'd read Fulton's FAQ on 'Slam Fire'.  Just sayin....

Have fun.

jmdavis

You can usually find lubriplate 130A at bearing dealers. A 14oz can (which used to be 16oz) will cost about the same as a couple of small plastic containers and will basically be a lifetime supply. I believe that I paid $8 for a can back in 2008. It is still 90% full.

Here is Brownells page for it as an example...

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/14-oz-lubriplate-130-a-sku311130014-6525-15705.aspx?mc_id=12000&ch=csh&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c7313_a_7c311130014_d_311130014_d_10192

I have also used mobil 1 synthetic grease and Phil Wood bicycle bearing grease (purchased back in the 80's). They all work.

Field stripping the M1 is the essence of simplicity. First make sure that your rear sight is all the way down. Personally I ALWAYS run it back to zero when I finish shooting or even a stage of shooting. If you do not keep it down one day you will flip the rifle over to strip it and realize that you have bent your rear sight. They used to be plentiful but are becoming more rare.

Good luck and enjoy the rifle.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

douglas34474

Dropping a round in the chamber is the method given in the FM. For some reason I think they know a little bit about the rifle. I always use this method and have never had a "SLAM FIRE" in over 30 years. But than the FM is not trying to sell you anything! I either run military ball or reloads using mil spec primers, CCI #34.

Not sure about NRA hi power, never shot one.  ;)

Quote from: fisherdawg on August 22, 2013, 03:26:54 PM

Have fun.

jmdavis

Quote from: fisherdawg on August 22, 2013, 03:24:50 PM
douglas34474,
That will definitely work, is it acceptable in NRA HP Slow Fire Prone? +1 on "Read this First" +1 on eyes closed.

It is absolutely acceptable for both NRA and CMP to NOT use a sled or 2 round clips. The method as I will describe it works and is safe. Where you get into trouble is fully seating a round in the chamber and then dropping the bolt from locked to engaged. What you want to do is place the round on top of the follower with the bullet just entering the chamber and then do as described. Release the bolt in a controlled manner for 1/2 and inch or so and then let it close on it's own. DO NOT ease the bolt closed.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

fisherdawg

douglas34474,
Thanks! I've one year on my M1, so I always look to learn from those who've had more experience. ;D +1 on the FM not selling anything ;)

Quote from: douglas34474 on August 22, 2013, 03:43:59 PM
Dropping a round in the chamber is the method given in the FM. For some reason I think they know a little bit about the rifle. I always use this method and have never had a "SLAM FIRE" in over 30 years. But than the FM is not trying to sell you anything! I either run military ball or reloads using mil spec primers, CCI #34.

Not sure about NRA hi power, never shot one.  ;)

Quote from: fisherdawg on August 22, 2013, 03:26:54 PM

Have fun.

fisherdawg

jmdavis,
Thank you for the distinction on the single load.  Seems kind of important given floating firing pin etc.  I appreciate the benefit of your knowledge & hope to be on the line with you, douglas 34474 & 2 clicks low all behing Mr. Garand's masterpiece.  ;D Wouldn't that be fun sometime on the Appleseed trail? ;D

Quote from: jmdavis on August 22, 2013, 03:44:46 PM
Quote from: fisherdawg on August 22, 2013, 03:24:50 PM
douglas34474,

It is absolutely acceptable for both NRA and CMP to NOT use a sled or 2 round clips. The method as I will describe it works and is safe. Where you get into trouble is fully seating a round in the chamber and then dropping the bolt from locked to engaged. What you want to do is place the round on top of the follower with the bullet just entering the chamber and then do as described. Release the bolt in a controlled manner for 1/2 and inch or so and then let it close on it's own. DO NOT ease the bolt closed.

douglas34474

Quote from: fisherdawg on August 22, 2013, 04:47:32 PM
jmdavis,
Thank you for the distinction on the single load.  Seems kind of important given floating firing pin etc.

The floating firing pin is stopped from full impact on the primer by design. The "tail" of the firing pin hits the receiver bridge before the bolt is completely at battery. You will find a small firing pin hit on the primer every time you load a round. Hence the military spec for less sensitive primers for military ammo.

Even if the firing pin tail fails, if the rifle is pointed down range when you load it (as it should be, but you knew that) any slam fire is a non issue. I don't know of anyone having a slam fire loading as the FM instructs.

hawkeye

I've had one slam fire in 35 years and that was more than likely a high primer ,no big deal other that being that guy for the day. Learn to load with two crossed rounds and never have to keep up with a 2 round clip again. There's plenty on youtube about that. your Garand has been cold wet and muddy before , you will not hurt its feelings shooting it in the rain. Have fun with your Garand , they are like potato chips bet you buy more than one. Steve
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

2 clicks low

thanks everyone.

A buddy has 2 that need to be fully stripped & cleaned, so I'm getting a lesson tomorrow.

2cl

2 clicks low

I think I won the M1 lottery. Springfield sn# 277xxxx (where can I look up how old)
New wood. If I'm reading it right 65 barrel. muzzle 1, throat 3

Off to find some grease, gotta clean & lub so I can go shoot it.
KD here I come.

Thanks CMP.

Mutti

http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id11.html

Here is where I started to find out about my piece of History. Cool stuff.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

douglas34474

You done good!  ;)

According to Duff's "Red Book", 272XXXX was built March 1944. Yours was likely built March or early April 1944. My Springer is number 2479xxx built January 1944.

I'll bet that if you look at the muzzle end of the bore you can still see the drilling marks left on the lands of the rifling from the making of the barrel. I picked up four rifles at the South story a coupe of years ago. They still have the tooling marks inside the barrel and show the original 80 grit sanding marks on the stocks.

Enjoy.

Quote from: 2 clicks low on August 26, 2013, 12:09:36 PM
I think I won the M1 lottery. Springfield sn# 277xxxx (where can I look up how old)
New wood. If I'm reading it right 65 barrel. muzzle 1, throat 3

Off to find some grease, gotta clean & lub so I can go shoot it.
KD here I come.

Thanks CMP.