News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Started by Talon, September 01, 2008, 10:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talon

Sounded like a great time. I'm glad everything went so smoothly! Hopefully they're be more Appleseeds like that in the future! Wish I coulda been there to try my hand at the garand! Maybe when/if you come to NY, Talon!
"Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

"Animo et fide"

boltgun71

This was an excellent Appleseed, very smoothly run.  The red hats and DW's boot camp crew kept everything moving in a smooth fluid motion with great communication.  Everyone was friendly and very willing to help out.  We had a very high Instructer/IIT to sudent ratio which helped to ensure points didn't get missed and shooters received a good deal of personal instruction if needed/wanted.  The history lessons were excellent as can be expected from such infamous red hats like JB and DW.

The shooters were a great bunch, that ranged in age from around 7 to about 70.  About 21 shooters showed up on Saturday with a little more than half coming back on Sunday.  We had a few Rifleman with a couple more right on the edge.  One shooter with a 207, he is so close he can taste it.  A Rifleman persist and he will have it soon though I am sure of it.  Their was lots of 10/22's on the line and a handful of AR's and absolutely no AK's or SKS's.

Overall this was an excellent event with great instructers and students.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again in the future.  Only a few more weeks until I'm at Ramseur again...

mack

This was my grandson and my first Appleseed and we had a great time.  I've read a lot in the forum the last few months but I can't see how it would be possible to run an Appleseed any better than this one.  Very professional, very safe with lots of individual instruction, elbow under the rifle, trigger follow-thru,  breath exhale shoot.  I heard these more than a couple of times, I'm a slow learner. :)

Grandson shot a 156 on Saturday and a 180 on Sunday.  We left tired and happy!

Many thanks to all those that spent lots of time helping us.  You made it great!

Here are some pictures.  If I'm not following proper protocol by posting these I'm sure the moderators will take care of them.

[attachment=1]
Junior Birdman showing us how to tear down and clean a 10/22

[attachment=2]
Boltgun71 going thru tear down and cleaning of an AR15

[attachment=3]
Time to shoot

[attachment=4]
The target speaks

[attachment=5]
I like this one

[attachment=6]
"My goal today is a 170"

[attachment=7]
And he's on his way

[attachment=8]
Not a 10/22 here

[attachment=9]
MCKNBRD scores it

[attachment=10]
I think he's ready

[attachment=11]
Give me another magazine

boltgun71

Excellent pics! Thanks for sharing.  I cant help but feel motivated when I see the younger shooters on the line working through the positions with only a sling.  It truly gives me some hope for our future to see the next generation of Rifleman in the works.

mack

Not sure why the pictures are double posted.  I tried edit but when I did that they only showed up once.

Sorry about that.

SGTCap

This was a great Appleseed.  Thank you Talon for allowing me to call the line and give the blocks of instruction.  I had a great time.  I wish I could have stayed for day two.

mack

Can't have pictures without a couple of the Shoot Boss, Talon.

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

crashkid2k

Well, Cap, if it makes you feel any better, I was Sunday's Line Boss.  That's right; no softy Line Bosses for this Appleseed!

There's no doubt about it; this was a sharp group of Appleseeders.  Everyone took instruction well and worked hard at becoming Riflemen.  A full team of IITs made the transitions and other training smooth, saving us valuable time on Saturday.

Sunday's shooting was AQT after AQT, with occasional Redcoats and zombies to break things up.  Our attendees saved us from both the Lobsterbacks AND the shambling horde of undead!  The day ended with a couple more Riflemen joining the ranks.  In case I missed you, congratulations!

MCKNBRD

Quite possibly one of the best things I've done in the past 5 years...being an IIT was an honor for ya'll...working with the likes of DW, JB, Talon, Crash, and the IITs was great, and I can't wait to do it again!!!

Having said that, the RBC was awesome, the training was far above par, and getting to help folks learn to shoot better was the best way to cap off the weekend that I could possibly think of. 

Mack, seeing Nic getting into prone and folding himself around the rifle was awesome.  You guys have motivated me more than you can EVER guess.  Same with Chris on the upper end...he had MUCHO problemos with his 10/22's sights...so we worked on them Sunday morning, and after a few sighters and zeroing, he shot Rifleman.  What a feeling of accomplishment to think that I may have helped, even just a little.

I'm hooked, to say the least.

Mack and Nic, as well as all the other shooters, thanks for coming, and I look forward to seeing you at the next Appleseed!

Craig
Its better to sweat in peace than bleed in war.

Guns and Ammo...between them, they get all the money my wife lets me have!

mack

Craig,  Thanks a lot for all your help.  Between you and the others, Nic and I felt like we had our own personal instructor the whole time.  Money could not buy instruction like that!

Going into this I felt like Nic might be tired at the end of the first day and wouldn't want to come back for the second day but there was never any doubt that we were there for the duration.  Well we did have to skip out a few minutes early to get back for a cookout with friends but I don't think we missed any shooting!  Too bad there's not another one before it gets cold.

jmdavis

I certainly echo Mack's comments. It was a great weekend.

I believe that I received some of the best instruction that I have ever had. A couple of weeks ago, I shot a mini with VAshooter. That four hours of instruction really got me interested in seeing what Appleseed was about, first hand.

Now, I have seen. I saw sincere and dedicated volunteers taking the time to help make me a better shooter. Taking the time to teach me some of the history that I never learned about the opening round of the American Revolution. Taking the time to talk from their hearts about what they believe.

I saw people taking the time to be Riflemen (and Riflewomen).

Thanks to all of the instructors, IIT's, Shoot Bosses and other shooters. I learned alot. Met some good people, shot my rifles and had a great time. Now I just have to pick up those three extra points to break my 207.

I'm looking forward to the next Black Creek Mini in October and the full 2 day course at Black Creek in November.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

crashkid2k

It sounds like we're going to see Mike at a Ramseur Boot Camp before long...

Is February soon enough?

jmdavis

Indeed!

I freely admit that my winter camping experience is so old that it has cobwebs. That said, I have been thinking about 2-09 alot.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner