News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Abbeville South Carolina, AAR, August 17, 2013

Started by TAZDevil, August 18, 2013, 06:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAZDevil

Abbeville, SC After Action Report

South Carolina opened its newest range on August 17.  Though the range is in a farm pasture, we had enough canopies to be able to avoiding shooting in the direct rain.   There were eight brave young patriots who braved the soaking rains.  We've had unusually wet weather this entire summer.  This was a planned single day event.
The attendees were rodeo children.  Interestingly, youth rodeo has rifle competition during their rodeos.  Ages ranged from eight to fifteen years old. There were more girls (5 to 3) participating than boys.
A revolutionary war reenactor treated us to a demonstration of black powder rifle marksmanship and discussion of the significance of the use of rifles by the colonists.  There were no misfires despite the humidity.
Despite the weather, the participants made this a perfect baptism of a new range.
"An Englishman's home is his castle" Jason Russell

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."  John Adams

Pain Killer

:pics:

Sounds like a great time! How far from Charlotte is that range?

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

DrJohn

Especial thanks to Clay and Deborah for sharing their farm to host the event. And to the parents of all our wonderful students, who came out in spite of the continual rain and who so obviously enjoy each others' company. And most thanks of all to our students, who displayed grit, determination, mental toughness, good humor, and light-hearted dignity. What a joy to be able to spend some time with you. And our sincerest wish to be able to join you again soon. Thank you for a wonderful experience.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

scuzzy

I'd just posted this email I'd received on the SC board when I saw this - so I'll post again:

Dear Appleseed,
   I just wanted to tell you how much my 15 year old daughter and I like your program!  She participated in her second Appleseed day this past weekend in Abbeville, SC in the pouring rain and still loved it.  The instructors/helpers/range officers were wonderful, friendly, intelligent, and knowledgeable.  Caroline (in my opinion) is an excellent shooter already, but still gained competence, confidence, and knowledge both about shooting and history.  It is really cool to see a group of young people intently listening to a history lesson...not a peep, not a movement.  Caroline was proud to be presented with the Rifleman award this weekend.  If you ever need a reference for a potential participant, you may eagerly give them my name and contact information.  Thanks to everyone who gives their time and energy to this well thought out program.   Sincerely, Robert
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

TheIronMantis

Quote from: Pain Killer on August 18, 2013, 08:18:01 PM
:pics:

PK

It was too wet for cameras.  Mine stayed in the car!

It was a great shoot.  Those kids definitely were not summer soldiers or sunshine patriots.