News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Berrien Springs MI June 22-23, After Action Report

Started by SteelThunder, June 22, 2013, 11:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

Hot Shoot Boss, tired Shoot Boss, happy Shoot Boss.

We had 13 awake Americans brave the early summer heat, humidity and mosquitos to craft their marksmanship skills and rekindle their sense of patriotism and kinship with our founding ancestors. But multiple EZ Ups canopies, lots of cold water, 100% DEET and some excellent instruction and history saved the day. 

Great job to everyone with the great attitudes. And great shooting, especially to our 2 new and one repeat Riflemen. Brandea smacked it out in Saturday's first AQT and repeated to show it wasn't a fluke. Great job Nathan (hey, that's my son!) For pulling out a 210 on the last AQT of Sunday (and for enduring 5 gallons of ice cold water from the Igloo -- err -- waters of the North Bridge.  And Tom, you proved again that once a Rifleman, always a Rifleman.

Also, congrats to Tom for taking a Blue Hat...you've been functioning as one for months. We just made it official.

Joe, Denise, Ethan, Tom, Tyler - you guys made amazing progress!  Come back and you'll push over the line.

I hope everyone enjoyed the KD line with the AR15, M1 Garand, M1A, Brown Bess and Remmy 270. You showed that what works at 25M works WAY out there.

You are all welcome back to my line anytime.

Steel
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

SteelThunder

OP updated with actual content!  I'll add pictures when I get home from Scout Camp.

Post em if you got em.
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Zazzles

Good job to everyone!!!!!! It was AMAZING the way you braved killer mosquitos, humidity, and the bajillion degree weather! Everyone improved a lot and I hope to see you all at an Appleseed soon! Tom, I was thinking the forum name could be Bunny? Anyway, great job and congrats!!
Always zazzley,
Zazzles ..:.. ..:..

SteelThunder

:pics:

Ooodles of canopies

History!

The waters of the North Bridge flowed freely

Friends that shoot together, stay together!

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

ruger rat

Tom and I had a great weekend at Appleseed, and were happy to have Julie and Brandea join us.  This being my second Appleseed, I was able to try out the skills I have been thinking about and practicing over the last month.  I was really happy with the personalized instruction I received this weekend as well as learning more history.  Even though it is an intense weekend and there is not much time to "visit" with other shooters, there is a definite camaraderie of liberty loving Americans.  No matter how well one does with marksmanship, it is always fun to see others do well.

Besides that, there is nothing like showering your true love with hot brass for two whole days and having bullet burns to prove it. 

I am going to try to post pictures but not sure how it will work.....May need instruction on that too!

SteelThunder

Rifleman!

Budding instructor

Typical Shoot Boss's truck...

Your fuzzy, but esteemed, instructor corps

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Oz

There was a fantastic amount of shooter participation, pitching in and looking out for one another--shooters bringing canopies, coolers full of water and sports drinks for everyone (and we needed that hydration both days!), helping with set up, staying afterward on Sunday to help tear down and carry equipment to the vehicle, and looking out for each other on the line.  You folks rock!

The best (non-movie quote) line of the weekend was first-time shooter Julie after clearing 200 on the initial redcoat:  "This is going in my baby book!"   O0

Great to have Tom R and--ahem, ruger rat (which may fairly describe your rifle of choice but fails to call out your cookie-making expertise...and I am thinking perhaps we have done a grave injustice by failing to point out the inherent advantage of combining the skill of a Rifleperson and a cook in one person)--with us again!  And great job clearing the final AQT!  And you brought even more friends!  I am losing track of how many friends and family Tom and rr have brought, and it will be good to finally see Tom in an RWVA hat!  Brandea--awesome job, a 212 on your first AQT?  Wow!

Brian, it was good to see you out on Saturday.  We've been talking about it for months--I hope you join us again!

Tom W--you know you have quite a grandson there. (And you were doing a fine job yourself.)  Ethan--you are one squared away young shooter.  Always aware of your muzzle, right on top of adjusting your sling, you know your positions.  And a 43 in stage 1 of the AQT?  That is crazy good!  Well done!

Darcy, it was good seeing you on the line again on Sunday--to finish what you started in Watervliet, and I hope to see you again.  Tori and Jake--I'm glad you made it out, hope you had a good time and come see us again.  (Bring the rest of your family!) 

Joe--you are so close.  I know you're coming again! 

Nathan, congratulations!  Tyler, you were really coming along quickly on Sunday.  Let us see you on a Saturday and have the whole weekend to work and the rest will fall into place!

Matt and Robbee--thank you for your work setting this up with the club and for the excellent hot lunch!  Hopefully schedules will work out and you can join us on the line at an upcoming shoot.  The skills you taught Zazzles helped her at Appleseed and I could see them help Ethan this weekend; I hope Appleseed can make better shooters for your program too.

Steel, Todd, Zazzles--it was a privilege to work with you.

"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

ITB

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Tigger

Hello all! I was literally wondering to myself how to get a copy of that pic of shooting Steel's flintlock when the AAR email popped into my inbox....
I enjoyed myself immensely, and it was a pleasure to meet several fellow shooters and AS instructors.
Since 6/22, my copy of Paul Reveres ride arrived and was quickly read cover to cover. Also got to spread a few more recommendations, esp over Independence Day weekend.
I'll be back on the line and striving for 210+ instead of "cook" hopefully later this year, at one of the other local clubs.
Take care to all and see you again. Might even see Tigger again, unless I can find a good store with shooting mats NOT back ordered. But, that might be a good thing if its more shooters coming to the line!   ^-^
Joe
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."
C. S. Lewis  "On Stories: And Other Essays on Literature"

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

"The ultimate obscenity is not caring, not doing something about what you feel, not feeling."
Rod Serling

SteelThunder

Joe --

It was great to meet you and I couldn't be more pleased that the nickname stuck!!

Check out the other SW MI and Northern Indiana shoots on our national schedule and hope you make it out soon.  I think the next shoot will do it for the 210+ and glad you're soaking up the history. 

Take care,

Kris
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Oz

Joe!  Great to hear from you!

www.midwayusa.com has shooting mats on sale right now...their website indicates "available" and further says that means "in stock, ready to ship".  The normal sized mats are reg $70 on sale for $30, the large size are reg $103 on sale for $50. (I'm glad you reminded me, I meant to order a couple more while they are on sale but had forgotten.)

Always feel free to bring Tigger regardless!  It was an awesome crossover reference for clearing the line!

Hope to see you soon and enjoy the history!  John

Quote from: Tigger on July 09, 2013, 07:57:12 AM
Might even see Tigger again, unless I can find a good store with shooting mats NOT back ordered. But, that might be a good thing if its more shooters coming to the line!   ^-^
Joe
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."