News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bowman, Georgia IBC, July 13-14

Started by DrJohn, July 15, 2013, 01:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Georgia had its first Instructor Boot Camp in several years, and we were fortunate to have a very respectable turnout of 17 instructors. We were likewise fortunate to secure the use of the Georgia Mountain Shooting Association clubhouse at Toccoa. The event used the IBC syllabus as developed by Atticus and Junior Birdman, and handed down through Son of Martha and PHenry. We modified the syllabus slightly to reflect local needs and conditions, but the POI was otherwise unchanged. We began with general introductory remarks, things like Simplicity and Precision, encouragement not to overreach, to avoid war stories, the importance of proper attire, and the like.

Next we stressed the importance of the Safety Rules verbatim, Safe Rifle, and the the line commands. We covered Sling Use and the Steady Hold Factors in prone, then broke into small groups where each instructor taught and modeled. Natural Point of Aim was next. Again, we broke into small groups to give each instructor a chance to practice and demonstrate his abilities. The Six Steps was next, and we broke into small groups for individual demonstrations. Rifleman's Cadence, Steady Hold Factors sitting and kneeling, Steady Hold Factors standing and use of the Hasty Sling were next. After sharing lunch together we covered rifle malfunctions, then Inches-Minutes-Clicks. We broke into small groups to demo Steady Hold Factors in the various positions, then each person presented IMC.

Son of Martha was able to join us Saturday evening to give an unusually fine presentation of how to tell the Story of April 19, 1775. He not only gave a rationale of why we tell the Story in the context of an Appleseed event, but how the Story strongly reinforces Appleseed's mission. He gave some practical pointers for how to tell the Story more effectively, such as having the listeners gather in closely and occupy a narrow arc in front of the storyteller. And he encouraged us to tell the Story with as much passion and conviction as we are capable, in order to help "awaken the sleeping American within". We all went out and had supper together to wrap up the day.

Sunday we began with some review, then we went into depth for how to interact with our students on the Line. Besides troubleshooting, we were exhorted also to encourage, praise, and inspire them. Troubleshooting was covered in a methodical way, going quickly from one student to the next, so that we are able to interact with each and every one in some way or the other. Besides problems with Steady Hold Factors, we look for problems with Natural Point of Aim, the Six Steps, Rifleman's Cadence problems, rifle fit problems, and equipment problems. Then we covered Talking Targets in a simplified manner. Last, we examined a number of fired AQT targets, and had the instructors become familiar with examining such a target and determining the errors exhibited and how to address each error so that each AQT, ideally, could be a learning experience for our students.

After presenting the material for Actual Distance at a normal Appleseed weekend, we studied how to set up an administration table and the importance of keeping accurate records and financial data. We had planned on a live fire mock Appleseed, but it had been raining all weekend and the allotted range was soggy with mud (and our clubhouse to this point quite clean!). We wrapped up the IBC with a group final exam, which hopefully was a learning experience for all involved. It was an honor and a pleasure to work with such a fine group of American patriots. Thanks to each and every one of you who made this event such a fine success.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Ramblin' Wreck

Reports I've heard praised this event. Sorry I could not join my fellow instructors but I look forward to seeing the results of this training as I work with all of you at upcoming events.

Thank you for taking up the cause of Liberty.

Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Sly223

Dr.J, Great job Sir, O0
SOM for the story, :bow:Lucky
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

SureShotSpartan

As an Instructor attending my first IBC, I must say, I was impressed with the group interaction and small group demonstrations.  The IIT's gained more "reps" instructing in the small groups than they potentially would have gained by working 3 or more events.  To that end, I am confident that this group of IIT's will take good care of the program for years to come!

May Liberty Increase!

-Spartan
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams