News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Advisory: Colorado gun laws taking effect on July 1st, 2013

Started by BlueFeather, June 15, 2013, 03:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFeather

Long Rifle contacted me to get an idea about the Impact of gun laws taking effect on 7/1/13... Most of you probably don't know that I have a law degree. I don't practice, but I try to keep up on pertinent legislation, both local and federal. I cannot give out specific advise, but I can talk in generalities.

Anyway, HB1229 bans the unregulated transfer of a firearm between two Colorado citizens. Starting on July 1, 2013, all transfers of possession of a Colorado firearm require a timely background check. This goes far beyond a sale and transfer of ownership: ANY transfer of possession requires an analysis of whether a background check is needed.

Lending a rifle to a friend for a hunt now requires a background check. Giving a gun to a family member requires an analysis of whether they are wthin a defined excepted class.

However, there are some distinctions: you may temporarily loan a firearm to a person who can legally own a firearm, as long as you are continuously present and you must take back the firearm within 72 hours. During a competition you may lend a firearm only if the competition is approved by a state agency or nonprofit organization.

Under the Appleseed scenario, it then appears that an instructor may lend a rifle to a person legally allowed to own such rifle, during the event itself. I would suggest that instructors verify this for themselves by consulting with an attorney who specializes in gun related issues within the state of Colorado.

HB 1224 bans magazines with a capacity of greater than 15 rounds, and shotgun tubes greater than 28 inches. You may possess a "large capacity" magazine if you owned the magazine before July 1, 2013, and maintain continuous possession of the "large capacity" magazine. YOU will have to prove you owned the magazine before July 1, 2013. (You might  consider taking date stamped pictures of such mags.) Because of the continuous possession clause you MAY NOT lend an offending magazine to a friend or even pick up a magazine that you do not yourself own!

As a Shoot Boss for any events in Colorado, I would cover this with all instructors prior to the event AND review these laws with all students at the beginning of every Appleseed on or after July 1st. Make sure to mention that no one may lend a magazine of greater than 15 round capacity EVER.

How might responsible gun owners legally get around these issues without moving out of Colorado? You might consider creating a gun trust and transfer ownership of guns and mags to the trust. If you try to do this after 7/1, background checks will have to be done, but a trust still provides more flexibility.

As far as The RWVA providing legal protection for instructors is concerned, while I have no specific knowledge about this, I must assume that every instructor is fully responsible for their own actions. Don't assume that Appleseed will protect you if you mistakenly break the law!

Recall efforts are under way in earnest, but overturning bad legislation is harder than passing it in the first place. Many Colorado Sheriffs have stated that they have no intention of enforcing these laws, but don't let that make you complacent. It is entirely possible that there will be shills at various shooting events and they would be more than happy to document criminal behavior of hated gun owners and damage the reputations of various organizations, such as the RWVA, in the process.

Just as with all electronic communication, behave as if you are always being overheard, so do your best to work within these new confines.  (I can see the day coming, when it will be argued that we have no expectation of privacy, ever... but that is another discussion.)

HTH for everyone who lives and works in Colorado!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

asminuteman

As the Shawnee would say....Wohdoh Nah....

Thank you Bluefeather
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

alkeford

Thank you BF
Even though I live in FL. I think its good that we all keep up on these issues nationwide.

Thank you for your service
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

Sly223

There today here tomorrow,The Gun trust is a great loophole jump on that opportunity nothing else can save your rights, But downright force. :wb: :( :'( :sos: :sos: &) !@#) %) @&) :~ :--- :shootself: :slap: ..:.. :DH:
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Cory Mathis

My gun trust is the 2nd amendment.  Period.  Some things you just can't compromise.  Ask the folks that took the stand on April 19, 1775.

Just a thought.

Casper

Prone to Knit

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org