News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Experimental "Designated Marksman" Rest v1.0

Started by Unbridled Liberty, March 18, 2013, 11:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbridled Liberty

This is an experimental prone rest I developed for the little "Designated Marksmen" on my lines this year.  The idea was to give them something that would not only provide quickly adjustable height adjustment, but also to improve safety.  The sides are plywood, and the cross pieces are 1" wood dowels covered with pipe insulation.  The sides should reduce the possibility of a sweep, and by tethering the rifle to the cross piece, eliminated.  The three heights are selectable by simply flipping the rest to any of the three sides. It could also be used as a rest for those with certain physical impairments, either in prone or on a bench top for seated.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Guardian

Good thought and wood work. I wish my woodwork skills were that good.

Transform

Nice design!
How do you plan to tether the rifle to the cross piece?
How much does it weigh? Is it heavy enough to stop a child's sweep from knocking it over, or does it still need sandbags on each side?

9mm4545

Would you consider publishing the building plans for such a rest?
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Mark Davis

Drilling a hole in each ear, and useing a plastic hooked bungee could be a way to tether the rifle to the rest.
I have been useing a bipod for designated marksmen, but many do not have a swivel stud. The weight and stability of this design, the replacability of the padding, the adjustable height.
Elegant.

TheIronMantis

That looks really good.  The plywood is almost the same shape as the silhouette (hint hint). :)

Pete!

It looks nice and useful.  With all of the stuff instructors haul around it seems bulky.  Can you disassemble it for transport?
-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

Unbridled Liberty

I appreciate the input.

QuoteHow do you plan to tether the rifle to the cross piece?
How much does it weigh? Is it heavy enough to stop a child's sweep from knocking it over, or does it still need sandbags on each side?
Once the proper height is determined, for a shooter's rifle without a stud I was thinking initially of two zip ties crossed over the the barrel/forearm and around the top cross piece.  Or Velcro.  Or a cord.  My Rascal has a stud, so a 1" swivel with 1" webbing and Velcro going around the cross piece would work.  This prototype weighs about 2 1/2 lbs.  Bags could be placed up against both ends.  Or I was thinking of putting holes in the tabs for tent stakes.

QuoteWould you consider publishing the building plans for such a rest?
That is my plan.

QuoteDrilling a hole in each ear, and useing a plastic hooked bungee could be a way to tether the rifle to the rest.
I have been useing a bipod for designated marksmen, but many do not have a swivel stud. The weight and stability of this design, the replacability of the padding, the adjustable height.
I like the holes in the tabs idea.  I will incorporate in v2.0  Anything that goes over the barrel would have to be flat so as not to interfere with iron sight picture.

QuoteWith all of the stuff instructors haul around it seems bulky.  Can you disassemble it for transport?
I'm with ya'.  I've been racking my brain on how to design it to break down, while at the same time maintaining sturdiness and making it fast and simple to get together.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Charles McKinley

I believe you can buy 1/2" wing nuts.  If you replace the dowels with all thread, get 1 inch pipe to go overtop of it, steel more weight, PVC cheaper.

Are you using a router and template to make them repeatable?

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-10062-Delta-Rest/dp/B000PD5U0C/ref=sr_1_113?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1363746986&sr=1-113&keywords=rifle+shooting+rests

Here is the Hornady Delta Rest for those not as skiled.  If you have to buy a lot of parts like my suggestion above it may be cheaper to buy this.

Thanks for posting this.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Stand on March 19, 2013, 11:42:06 PM
I believe you can buy 1/2" wing nuts.  If you replace the dowels with all thread, get 1 inch pipe to go overtop of it, steel more weight, PVC cheaper.

Are you using a router and template to make them repeatable?

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-10062-Delta-Rest/dp/B000PD5U0C/ref=sr_1_113?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1363746986&sr=1-113&keywords=rifle+shooting+rests

Here is the Hornady Delta Rest for those not as skiled.  If you have to buy a lot of parts like my suggestion above it may be cheaper to buy this.

Thanks for posting this.

I was trying to stay away from small parts like wingnuts as they always seem to end up somewhere in the grass.  I had thought of PVC and may go that way.  I had not planned to make that many for my use.  I had just planned to make some PDF patterns and directions, although the thought has crossed my mind to make a kit.  I have access to a CNC router called a ShopBot. 

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Hinermad

Quote from: Unbridled Liberty on March 20, 2013, 12:06:28 AM
I was trying to stay away from small parts like wingnuts as they always seem to end up somewhere in the grass.  I had thought of PVC and may go that way.

You can get threaded caps and couplings for PVC pipe. A walk down the plumbing aisle at the hardware store might turn up what you need.

Here's an idea. PVC pipe with shock cord through the middle, tied off on the outsides of the end pieces. To knock it down for transport you pull the end pieces off the pipes, but they're still attached to the shock cord. Once the pipes are free of the end pieces you can lay the whole assembly over into a flat pile.

It works really good inside my head, honest! (grin)

Anyway, that's a neat solution you have there. I'm very likely to borrow that.

Dave
The problem with doing the right thing is that sometimes you do it on your own.

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Hinermad on March 20, 2013, 08:07:54 PM
Quote from: Unbridled Liberty on March 20, 2013, 12:06:28 AM
I was trying to stay away from small parts like wingnuts as they always seem to end up somewhere in the grass.  I had thought of PVC and may go that way.

You can get threaded caps and couplings for PVC pipe. A walk down the plumbing aisle at the hardware store might turn up what you need.

Here's an idea. PVC pipe with shock cord through the middle, tied off on the outsides of the end pieces. To knock it down for transport you pull the end pieces off the pipes, but they're still attached to the shock cord. Once the pipes are free of the end pieces you can lay the whole assembly over into a flat pile.

It works really good inside my head, honest! (grin)

Anyway, that's a neat solution you have there. I'm very likely to borrow that.

Dave

Stand got me thinking along those lines.  I'm fixin' to head out to Home Depot right now and browse the plumbing aisle.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Unbridled Liberty

Thanks for everybody's input.  I finally got some time to try some different ideas.  I have come up with a very inexpensive, sturdy, practical rest for youth and those with certain handicaps.  I am machining these out of MDO exterior plywood using a Shopbot CNC router.  They come ready to assemble.  All profits get plowed back into Appleseed in one way or another:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=38474.0

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave