News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Best value for barrel shortening?

Started by Caliper, May 20, 2013, 05:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliper

So, I have two 597 loaners that have cut down stocks and have made great loaner rifles for those of shorter stature.  However, along with shorter stature often comes less muscle and those 20" barrels can present a challenge to some shooters.  I'd really like to take 3.5" off the muzzle of each of them (ie: 16.5"), but don't want to spend the cost of a new rifle doing so. 

Does anyone know of a place that offers a great value for this service and a recessed crown job? (to protect from jabs into dirt, mud and gravel)  Preferrably convenient to SE Michigan? 

number6

Wizzard did the ones on the 3/4 10/22s , what about even shorter with a pinned/welded muzzle brake.

number6
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

slim

I saw a dude who hacksawed a few inches off his 700 - and shot a KD Rifleman score with it. No crown, no special work, nothing. Just chopped it off.

Grindstone

Remember from our KD event at Ft. Custer? It was George63 with the sawed off 700 SPS.

For kids, I think the pinned and welded flash hider is a great idea, but you will need some real tools for that.

I think Mac has some short barrels with flash hiders that were donated to him by one of our shooters.

To do a "proper" job on the lathe is actually really difficult because you have to find center on the bore at both ends before making the cut from the center out with  specially shaped cutter. It don't think it's worthwhile for a gun that kids will stick into the dirt.

Danger

I second the hacksaw idea.  Then there is a barrel facing tool that you can turn by hand.  Should be able to find em at Brownells or Midway USA.  Let us know if the tool really works.

Call me by my middle name

Sly223

George 63 is the KD king if he suggests it I would follow suit.
I think the options are only limited to how much you want to spend.
I found this thread because I thought the shortening was for some other reason like Harmonics! ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Caliper

Grindstone, thanks!  I had temporarily forgotten about Georges rifle.  I seem to recall he spent some time hand filing the muzzle after the cut to get a good square surface though. 

All this is engaging my engineering brain and the desire to buy cool new tools!  I may have to give one a go and see how it turns out. 

Charles McKinley

If you hack saw it you can use a ball shaped grind stone so you don't have to stay exactly in the middle like you would with a cone shaped stone.  You turn it by hand.  You don't need to crown the whole muzzle just near the bore.  Send MrHappy a PM for more detail.

The muzzle tool mentioned above was out of stock the last time I looked for it.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

mac66

Quote from: number6 on May 20, 2013, 05:32:25 PM
Wizzard did the ones on the 3/4 10/22s , what about even shorter with a pinned/welded muzzle brake.

number6

Wizzard will do it for instructors, he will even thread the barrel for a FH or "mud guard" as he calls them.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Grindstone

Quote from: Caliper on May 21, 2013, 02:08:58 PM
All this is engaging my engineering brain and the desire to buy cool new tools!

Let me know when you get the lathe so I can come over and use it loan you the book about blueprinting actions and barrel fitting.

wizard

I have the time and resources to cut, crown, and thread or pin mudguards (about 1 per day).  I will be attending shoots in my Radius of travel  from Utica MI.  I will try to have finished barrels with me so we can do a swap on the spot.  Or send me a a PM here, and I can pick them up or meet somewhere midway.  No charge.  I wish to support the Project by helping the guys and gals who are doing the work.  As an ex-marine I am comfortable with quick and dirty rifle mods, but for our newest and least capable shooters; We need to give them the best of what we have to offer.  Early success will lead to a lifelomg interest in shooting.  Wizard
I get things done because I get things done.