News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sling solution for a Ruger 10/22?

Started by GunsAndCourage, May 15, 2013, 03:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunsAndCourage

My two oldest boys and I have the Appleseed this weekend and we each have a 10/22.

I just realized last night we do not have slings for the Rugers.

The limited research I've done all involve drilling holes in the stocks and installing swivels.

That's no big deal for mine (wood stock) but the other two are synthetic (one black and one digital camo) and I don't really want to drill the stocks.

Any other non-invasive sling solutions out there?

George Hacker

Get the following swivels:

http://www.impactguns.com/unc-sling-swivels-qd-11-1461-043699146123.aspx

There is a post with a hole that mounts to the barrel band.  That is the only non-drilling solution, though you will probably have to do some filing/sanding on the band to make it have a tight fit once the post is positioned in it.

This kit comes with 1" swivels.  You may need to get 1.25" swivels if you get your hands on a standard military sling.  1" military slings are available from TechSights.

http://www.tech-sights.com/access.htm

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Chainsaw

The temporary, but workable solution is to just ziptie them to the barrel.  Not perfect, but it will get you through the weekend.

FWIW attaching swivels to the composite stock is not that complicated.  There's lots of youtubeyness about it.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

oladcock

I can't count the number of synthetic stocks I've used the same Uncle Mike's studs you'd use in wood stocks with nary a problem. It's a tool, drill it....saw it...sand it..until it works....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

GunsAndCourage

I'm seeing mixed reviews for the Uncle Mike sling mounts.

Some say that the foregrip barrel mount makes it too loose & that the hardware is a little too big.

Of course, I'd trust opinions on this site much more than Amazon.......

George Hacker

Quote from: GunsAndCourage on May 15, 2013, 06:38:38 PM

Some say that the foregrip barrel mount makes it too loose & that the hardware is a little too big.

It does, that's why the barrel band needs to be filed/sanded where the bolt/nut holds it together.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

oladcock

Quote from: GunsAndCourage on May 15, 2013, 06:38:38 PM

Yep, would not/will not use the one that attaches to the barrel band. This is the one I use on synthetic stocks....O.L.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/190783/uncle-mikes-quick-detachable-wood-screw-type-sling-swivel-set-1-1-4-black?cm_vc=wishList
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

DrRichP

Hi GunsAndCourage,

I agree that drilling the synthetic stock is not a big deal. I wouldn't buy Uncle Mikes (over priced and made in China). E. Arthur Brown has about the best deal on sling swivels http://www.eabco.com/store/shooting-accessories/sling-swivel-stud-set/
Also, E.A.B. is an Appleseeder along with many of his staff (support those who support us).

For $5 you get both screw types. You will need to get 1¼" sling swivels though. The wood screw will go in the butt stock and the machine screw and nut in the forestock. Take the barreled action out of the stock. Put the nut ~1½" back (trigger side) of the barrel band but not in the way of the cross supports that are in the Ruger synthetic stocks. Mark the hole right through the nut as it lays in the bottom of the stock. Then drill the hole from the inside of the stock, to the outside. No caveman pressure needed. Then put on the machine screw and nut on the forestock.

I would not reccomend the method that attaches the sling to the barrel band. The idea is a novel one, but it is completely counterintuitive.

The reason we free float barrels and put free floating forestocks on rifles in the first place is to reduce extrinsic forces on the barrel which would limit barrel harmonics, and adversely effect accuracy.

With this item, the barrel band adapter now attaches the sling to the barrel band (which usually contacts the barrel on a 10/22). Now when you sling up, you apply pressure (i.e., taughtness) to the sling which then pulls on the barrel band and barrel, introduces extrinsic forces and limits barrel harmonics.

While it is a neat solution to not having to drill a hole into the stock, it won't help your shooting or your accuracy. Just put in a sling swivel stud and be done with it.

I hope this helps.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

zamboni_driver

I applied some JB Weld on the end of the screws inside the composite stock for some extra insurance.

Abunchofboys

Quote from: DrRichP on May 15, 2013, 07:56:20 PM
Hi GunsAndCourage,

I agree that drilling the synthetic stock is not a big deal. I wouldn't buy Uncle Mikes (over priced and made in China). E. Arthur Brown has about the best deal on sling swivels http://www.eabco.com/store/shooting-accessories/sling-swivel-stud-set/
Also, E.A.B. is an Appleseeder along with many of his staff (support those who support us).

For $5 you get both screw types. You will need to get 1¼" sling swivels though. The wood screw will go in the butt stock and the machine screw and nut in the forestock. Take the barreled action out of the stock. Put the nut ~1½" back (trigger side) of the barrel band but not in the way of the cross supports that are in the Ruger synthetic stocks. Mark the hole right through the nut as it lays in the bottom of the stock. Then drill the hole from the inside of the stock, to the outside. No caveman pressure needed. Then put on the machine screw and nut on the forestock.

I would not reccomend the method that attaches the sling to the barrel band. The idea is a novel one, but it is completely counterintuitive.

The reason we free float barrels and put free floating forestocks on rifles in the first place is to reduce extrinsic forces on the barrel which would limit barrel harmonics, and adversely effect accuracy.

With this item, the barrel band adapter now attaches the sling to the barrel band (which usually contacts the barrel on a 10/22). Now when you sling up, you apply pressure (i.e., taughtness) to the sling which then pulls on the barrel band and barrel, introduces extrinsic forces and limits barrel harmonics.

While it is a neat solution to not having to drill a hole into the stock, it won't help your shooting or your accuracy. Just put in a sling swivel stud and be done with it.

I hope this helps.

Wish I had seen this before buying Uncle Mikes. Guess I will take mine off and install it the proper way. Thanks for this information!