News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Nashville, IN. May 2013

Started by Mudcat, May 12, 2013, 11:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

What a great shoot at Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club lots and lots of fun for Mothers Day weekend. We had new shooters, old shooters, previous Riflewomen and Riflemen. Lots of friends, families and smiles and laughs. But not all was fun and games there was lots of learning going on as well this beautiful weekend. Lots of improved shooters 4 new Riflemen a new Red Hat and a couple still knocking.  Here are a few pictures I will comment more and add some more pictures later. Good night. $$-0
Saturday morning just getting started.

Kurtis and Meinda.
Never a dull moment with these 2 around plus Kurtis pulled a 227 score out on the 2nd AQT on Saturday. Melinda made good progress too.

Shella and Rayne doing the foot lock passing good vibes to each other and it must have helped because Rayne re-qualified more than once on various rifles and Shella was doing awesome and was the only one to get to join Morgans Rifle company on Sunday morning. Shella was actually putting some great groups on paper and will no doubt be a Riflegirl soon. Plus she is pretty good at aggervating Grunt soldier.

Jason is being all bidnezz here and was another one of our Saturday Riflemen.

Yep this is all one family of 5 shooters but they all don't have that awesome haircut. Nathan was our Sunday Rifleman with a dose of North Bridge Water for getting a 210 and backing it up with second 210.

More to follow.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

redbaron

What a great shoot. Great weather and great Americans. I had a blast and can't wait to return. Always a good time at Nashville.

brianheeter

History and heritage was learned, patriots were re-awakened, marksmanship was improved and steel was abused.  It was great weekend at Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club in beautiful Nashville, Indiana.  It was great to see families and friends sharing the line and friendly foot races to the target line after a string of fire.  We had some really fast (and competitive) shooters!  Next one in Nashville is July 13-14.  But don't wait that long.  We've got plenty of other shoots going on around the state.  Check the schedule http://www.appleseedusa.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=IN&statename=Indiana and get signed up!

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

grunt soldier

Shella gives me hope for future generations. What a awesome little American!!!  It was a pleasure sharing the line with all of you this weekend. Kate and X-ray you young folks are doing amazing things for your country!  Keep it up. It was a amazing way to spend the weekend!
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Mudcat

Here are some more pictures.
Rifleman Ironjaw Huzzah!

Rifleman Jason Huzzah!

Rifleman Rich Huzzah!

Caveman who was ever so close.

Our posterity, are we leaving the something better than we were given? Great kids that all conducted themselves like adults. Huzzah!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Indymonkey

What a great time. These two days went beyond the expectations that I had for the weekend. Not only learning crucial rifle skills, but the History and fellowship was second to none.

Thanks to all the Appleseed staff who made this weekend great.

Im looking forward to my next Appleseed shoot.

Jason

patience0830

A great time was had by all. Conducted in a professional manner with care and good humor. Only near injury was caused by too much exhuberance running to the targets. We nearly lost a target board to a smiling redheaded rascal.

Bagworms were injured in the making of some riflemen. Some set upon, many more stepped on, and two were eaten. The ones that were set upon were amusing but the ones eaten were hillarious. Especially after the gourmand asked me, after the fact, if bagworms were, indeed, poisonous.

Timing is everything, right?

Great instruction, great stories, lots of laughter and learning. Many thanks to Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club for the use of their fine facilities. Grass was perfect. Long enough to provide some comfort but not so long you couldn't find your brass.

We had a great bunch of youngsters from roughly 10 to 65. Kate and Xray were particularly impressive as enthusiastic instructors. Rayne brought a young lady who was pinging steel at 100 yds with a rimfire on Sunday afternoon with confidence.

I'm gonna be sore for the better part of the work week but I feel younger today than I did on Friday. This activity has my recommendation for all ages big enough to hold a rifle and mature enough to be safe and accept instruction.

patience0830

That pic labeled Caveman is really me on Sunday NOT qualifying with my AR and plastic sights. :P

ironjaw

Well, I had a lot of bad habits that had to be broken in order for me to shoot rifleman. Huge kudos to every volunteer taking their knowledge and helping me along. Their words of encouragement was motivation for me to learn more and apply it.

Thanks again!

Indymonkey

Quote from: patience0830 on May 14, 2013, 11:29:06 PM
That pic labeled Caveman is really me on Sunday NOT qualifying with my AR and plastic sights. :P

Is it me or is that site on backward?

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

patience0830

Quote from: Indymonkey on May 15, 2013, 12:03:26 AM

Is it me or is that site on backward?

Truth be told, Jason,  I don't know.   :(  That would explain why the windage adjustment worked backwards. :wb:

SteelThunder

QuoteI also learned a new way to grip the rifle with my trigger hand.  If you lay your thumb next to the stock instead of over the top, it gives you more room to form that "C" shaped trigger finger and not drag wood.  Again, something simple, yet priceless.

It also helps to prevent a fat lip (caused by you punching yourself with your thumb knuckle) when you are doing a proper turkey neck on a big bore rifle.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Mudcat

You sure you don't want to pin the backwards rear sight on your brother? O0
--George Washington

patience0830

naaawww.  It's bad enough that I got a patch first time out and best he could muster was a 208.  He really is a better shot than me when he isn't handicapping himself with irons. ^:)^

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Rayne

~

Mudcat

Shella, thank you for writing a review. I am so glad that you had a good time and learned a lot. You are welcome on my line any time you want to come. You were a true joy and the #1 reason why I Appleseed, our youth our posterity.
Every once in a while as an Appleseed instructor you have one of those shoots that prove to you why you spend so much time away from home and family. These shoots renew our vigor and determination they are what make us persist. This was one of those shoots. Not because we made a lot of Riflemen because we didn't, not because we had shooters wanting to take an orange hat because we didn't, not because we reached a lot of people and made them think even though we might have, but because I was touched by by the words of a few people including Shella. My payday, thank you!
--George Washington

Mudcat

Quote from: Rayne on May 16, 2013, 12:22:34 PM
Quote from: patience0830 on May 16, 2013, 02:52:43 AM
naaawww.  It's bad enough that I got a patch first time out and best he could muster was a 208.  He really is a better shot than me when he isn't handicapping himself with irons. ^:)^

Iron's aren't a handicap, they are actually easier to shoot because you don't notice the wooble and movement like you do when you use a scope.  I don't see how you shot as well as you did with your scope turned all the way up to 9X.     You had an amazing score for your first seed and first day.  O0

This is true.
--George Washington

redbaron

Quote from: Rayne on May 16, 2013, 12:19:04 PM
My Appleseed Report
By
Shella

I had an AWESOME time !!!!!!!

That was a great review Shella! Glad you had an Awesome time.

I might be going out on a limb here, but I think she really liked the AR.

patience0830

I can stop the "wooble"  pretty well.  I just can't see the target worth a hoot w/o the scope. ;)

Rayne

~

Orangedotfever

Quote from: Rayne on May 19, 2013, 01:09:26 AM
Quote from: patience0830 on May 18, 2013, 11:00:24 PM
I can stop the "wooble"  pretty well.  I just can't see the target worth a hoot w/o the scope. ;)

You're not suppose to be focused on the target, you're suppose to be focused on the front sight.   have you forgotten already?  :slap: 

;D giving ya a hard time  O0

If she thinks that's a problem now, wait until she gets to be my age! Even the front sight gets blurry.  ;D
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.