News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hannah Davis

Started by PHenry, May 01, 2013, 06:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

I have a line in my 2nd strike that I have been asked to verify the authenticity of and For the life of me, I cannot recall where I got it originally.

"Congress twice suggested recompense for Hannah's loss and twice voted to deny her. To do so would have been a violation of the Constitution and a failure to respect what Isaac Davis died for. To take from one by force of law and give to another; no matter how deserving, is a form of slavery and they would have none of it."

Now in my searches, oddly enough, I found this line - verbatim - posted on AR15.com, but that was surely an Appleseeder who got it possibly from TIPS section. I know I stole mush of my 2nd strike from DonD and some from Colycat, but not certain if that line came from either of them.

I do know from reading about Congress' fiscal situation and frugal nature that such an action would have been in keeping with Congressional SOP in late 1700s, but an IIT asked me if I can verfity the source and I cannot.

Does anyone have any idea where this came from? It may well be in Congressional record, but not sure how to find it and fairly certain it would take more time than I can afford to spend on this. Any help appreciated greatly.
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

V

I suspect you got them from the links I gave in this reply as you quote the pension denial link later in that thread.

Unfortunately, the links I gave are now 404 errors.... I'll dig around and see if I have 'em stashed anywhere or can find the original originals.

Cheers
V

Mutti

So far I cannot find that the Petition was denied (applied for January 19, 1818 by Mr. Fuller on behalf of Hannah Leighton widow of Issac Davis - page 156 of the link to follow) - however the record goes on and on.  Most of this daily Congressional information can be found in eBook form (Congressional Edition Volume 4), so maybe I'll make a Homeschool Project of this   :) .

(according to follow up): A very striking discussion follows irt this issue here : (Abridgment of the Debates of Congress, from 1789 to 1856: Nov. 13, 1820 ...Page 165/166) - (Pension was still denied)

And eventually (1841) the Pension was approved: (Page 820)

I'll keep looking although it appears the discussion has already been had elsewhere...(now I'm all curious. I need WiFi so I can still read while milking the goats).

mutti

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

V

Well, if anyone is in the area you could always take her some flowers.

Her long
life is full of many colorful stories from surviving ship wreck off the
cost of Cape Cod to running a children daycare or 'Dame School' in her
home. Hannah died on December 24, 1841 at the age of 96. She is buried in
Woodlawn Cemetery between the original burial spot of her first husband,
Capt. Isaac Davis and their two children, Hannah and Paul Davis and her
second husband Mr. Samuel Jones.

I guess I'm getting grumpy in my old age but sometimes this stuff starts to grind...

Its not enough that the guy gave his life to help create a nation, but that nation, when it finally gets around to breaking the law in order to give her a pension is too little too late, she dies a few months after it is granted so as old Sam Whittemore might have said, she had no further use for it.

And then when they finally get around to acknowledging all this stuff as a nation and decide to start actually putting up memorials and statues  a hundred years later they go dig the poor guy up from between his beloved wife and children and bury him on the side of the road in Acton green under a big memorial. Not so much as a by your leave.... Sometimes I wonder about this progressive era memorialising, was it really in honour of those who died or more to the aggrandizement of them that put them up and made all the speeches.

PHenry

So, looks like my 2nd strike is off a bit, as Congress did eventually approve recompense and in a fine tradition that still survives today - too little / too late.

I will confess that I use the line to show one of the stark differences between then and now. Always looking for ways to make comparisons that offer a chance for students to think.

My father assured me as a boy that people never change - only their tools and toys. I wish he was still here so I could tell him I have accepted that as fact.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: PHenry on May 02, 2013, 03:11:44 PM
So, looks like my 2nd strike is off a bit, as Congress did eventually approve recompense and in a fine tradition that still survives today - too little / too late.

I will confess that I use the line to show one of the stark differences between then and now. Always looking for ways to make comparisons that offer a chance for students to think.

My father assured me as a boy that people never change - only their tools and toys. I wish he was still here so I could tell him I have accepted that as fact.

Amen.  And not only differences, but similarities.  The cartridge boxes Isaac made for his men are the equivalent of today's "high-capacity" magazines.  The bayonets he made them were not for deer hunting.  Paul Revere was detained at a roadblock/checkpoint.  The grenadiers specialty was kicking down doors during warrant-less house-to-house searches.  Etc.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

PHenry

I would never speak of such things. I merely explain how it went in 1775. Any conclusions drawn are the conjuring of the listener and are clearly beyond my control or jurisdiction.  :cool2:

9mm4545

Maybe I am pushing it a bit by referring to the Charleville musket with attached bayonet as an "18th Century assault weapon" and the cartridge box as a "high capacity ammunition feeding device"? I do mention that the Charleville was the first "assault weapon" banned as the importation was halted by the Crown. I will likely be including now that Paul Revere was stopped and indefinitely detained at a roadblock checkpoint and the grenadiers were doing warrantless searches. Thanks for that. ;)
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

PHenry

Definitely flirting with the edge - just keep one foot firmly planted.  ^-^