News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Virginia, we have a new place to shoot!

Started by The Wolfhound, March 26, 2013, 10:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wolfhound

Details will show up on the schedule in the next day or so but Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club in Charlottesville has invited us to come and shoot!  The dates are July 13-14 and October 12-13.  The line will hold 25 shooters.  This should be the start of something great.  Kudos to "FiremanBob" for pushing this through.  Are we shooting on your home range yet?  Let's make it happen.

jmdavis

Excellent! A personal relationship has been responsible for every range AS uses in VA. Rivana is a good range, I have shot some HP up there. I think that you can fit 25 or so shooters on the 100 yard rifle range.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

The Wolfhound

The best fit seems to be the bullseye range.  It paced out large enough for 25.

jmdavis

You may want to check their rules for the pistol range. I think that it will require some special dispensation to shoot rifles using prone and sitting there.

Mike

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

FiremanBob

Mike, we made a detailed presentation to the Board of exactly how the shoot will be set up, and it was approved.
Essentially, it is targets at the base of the berm, firing line 25 meters back. All shooting activity is in the clear field beyond the 50-yard pistol target stands. The club uses the same setup at the rear of the pistol range for its monthly Rimfire Steel matches.

In fact, I have proposed a similar setup for a regular, competitive AQT match using Appleseed protocols, called the Camp Rivanna 3-Position Rimfire Match, which I hope to get approved at the next board meeting. I'll start a thread when that goes live.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

jmdavis

OK, so you won't shoot from the cover. That makes sense.

Do you think that your monthly  match be open or club only? It sounds interesting.

For those interested in VA, there is a 200 yard 22 rimfire match using 3 amd 3.5 moa steel at Cavalier (http://www.cavrpc.org/). This occurs following the Rambash Black Powder Cartridge match (around 12 or 1 pm) on the first Saturday of the month.  Primary position is prone with sling or wrist support although it is permissible to shoot off the bench with wrist support only.

FiremanBob

That 200-yard match sounds like a great challenge. I'd love to try it some time.

I'll know whether the proposed AQT match is public after the next board meeting on April 18th.

I see the Charlottesville Appleseeds are now open for registration. That was quick.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

The Wolfhound