Author Topic: Might make some mad however...  (Read 2362 times)

Offline ironhead

• Retired IIT
Might make some mad however...
« on: April 18, 2013, 06:15:12 PM »
I am a new Rifleman and IIT0 and very proud to be associated with Appleseed. I must say that I have a huge problem with the goods sold at the store being made in foreign countries. I can only speak for myself in that I would rather pay more for something that is made here by Americans. I also feel that it is contradictory to part of the message of Appleseed which is patriotism.

Ironhead
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and of tyrants.

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Transform

Re: Might make some mad however...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »
Ironhead, you make an excellent point! Since Appleseed is an all-volunteer organization, there is no "central office" that deals with such issues. That means that the one who identifies a problem is usually the one who fixes it.

Here are the steps:
1. Identify a list of which goods are at issue.
2. Identify a list of which domestic manufacturers might be able to produce an equivalent product for us.
3. Seek permission to contact those manufacturers on behalf of Appleseed.
(PM me with the first two lists, and I'll gladly help you figure out how to accomplish this step.)
4. Get some advice from other instructors who have prior experience working with vendors.
5. Contact the manufacturers and negotiate a proposal for production of those goods.
6. Get approval for the proposal (see #3).
7. If approved, act as liaison for production and distribution to the Home Range store.

While you do these things, don't lose sight of the Mission. Your first task is still to keep bailing and making progress as an instructor. Your additional work on the store will be much appreciated by the many others who agree with you and would strongly prefer to purchase American-made products!

Offline ironhead

• Retired IIT
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:25:54 PM »
Well this will teach me to open my mouth. I accept the task and will talk to you tomorrow.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and of tyrants.

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline slim

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »
I have zero problem buying foreign goods that are cheaper. It's called capitalism.

Offline oladcock

• designated Shoot Boss
  • ATCS (AW) USN Ret...
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:08:43 AM »
Individual freedom and free markets. Other countries that "subsidize" their goods, those systems will ultimately fail the more you buy! :)...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  10-19-2019

Offline FiremanBob

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:39:07 AM »
I go to great lengths to avoid buying products from countries that are waging undeclared war against mine. Sometimes, as with computer equipment, that isn't possible.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"
1022Companion.com

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville