News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Great Falls, MT April 13-14 2012

Started by Kaiser Leib, April 15, 2013, 12:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiser Leib

Another shoot at the most Appleseed-friendly range I've had the pleasure to work with. I get the impression that a great time was had by all, and the shooters gave the instructor corps the perennial satisfaction of good study and shrinking groups. I know we had 3 future riflemen on that line!
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.

m1awolf

I would agree, I think everyone enjoyed themselves and much was accomplished. Nancy and Brian are knocking on the door to becoming Rifleman/woman Nancy was in the zone Sunday morning and we should have run an AQT after the first sight square.

:pics:

I will upload some this evening ;)
A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

peterlandsiedel

As always, the great falls crew did not disappoint.

We kicked off saturday morning with Kaiser laying down some of the "pre-history" before getting on to the black-redcoats and sighter squares. Did a great drill that Hawkhavn taught us at the IBC last March where shooters sit cross legged, and dry fire an empty rifle (pointed downrange, of course), and with the trigger trapped back, work the action, then let off the trigger to feel the reset. I saw less trigger bounce after that drill. We had some lunch where I told the first strike, and Kaiser the second. Then it was back to the firing line, running more drills. We did carded the sights, and did some ball and dummy. Rob had a nasty case head separation running a ruger 10/22 and what we think was a rather old CCI round. I standing near Rob during one of the AQT stages (3 or 4, had to have been as Rob was prone) and I heard a bang that was louder than it should have been. For a second I thought Rob had switched over to a .22 mag, but when I looked down I saw that his rotary mag was in pieces on the ground. Rob cleared his rifle, made it safe and we checked out the damage. After making sure Rob was OK, we took the rifle off the line, ran a bore snake through it to make sure we didn't have any squibs.  The rifle was fine, Rob was fine, and the bore was clear. The magazine is kaput.  We finished off the day with one (or two?) AQTs a black-redcoat and the third strike.  On sunday, we had several repeat shooters and we were lucky enough to have Mark Davis himself join us. I am in awe of Mark's ability to make shooting look so effortless while providing detailed instructions on how to shoot better. Before lunch, KRTV sent a news reporter to do a quick story on Appleseed in Great Falls. Here's the link to the story: http://www.krtv.com/news/participants-learn-about-history-and-rifle-marksmanship-in-project-appleseed-event/

Doesn't Mark Davis look good?

I took a ton of photos during the shoot, and some of the better ones are below.. I had a blast guys, and I can't wait for our next shoot.

peterlandsiedel

First set of photos.

peterlandsiedel

Second set. Rob's little case head incident is documented in this set and the next.

peterlandsiedel

Third and final set. As the last few photos show, I need to learn how to set the timer on my camera.

Necee

Nice job on the pics Peter!!  Looks and sounds like a great event.  Keep up the good work!