News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Who wants to come to a RBC with me?

Started by AZBastiat, March 29, 2013, 02:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZBastiat

I'd like to go to a Rifleman Boot Camp this year and am looking for one or more companions to go with me.

The full schedule is at http://appleseedinfo.org/bc_schedule.php. I'm up for the one in Wyoming or either of the two in New Mexico, or others within 1000 miles or so if they appear on the schedule after I post this.

TaosGlock

Just to be clear and to keep in mind the distinction between the 2 types of RBC. The traditional 6 day is actually 8 days as it includes a 2 day Appleseed tacked on. It is designed to build a strong instructor core and move IIT's up or thru the paces a bit quicker and more effective. Although all shooters are welcome to attend.

The 3 Day RBC, is predominately the KD only marksmanship component of the 6 day RBC. It's requirement is a center fire rifle and previous attendance to an Appleseed. Perhaps RBC should be replaced with 3 day Centerfire Long Range (CLR) or similar.

Hope to see you in NM!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Scott1911

Please keep me in mind as you firm up your plans, as i would love to attend a camp nearby this year.

AZBastiat

Quote from: TaosGlock on March 29, 2013, 12:25:57 PM
Just to be clear and to keep in mind the distinction between the 2 types of RBC. The traditional 6 day is actually 8 days as it includes a 2 day Appleseed tacked on. It is designed to build a strong instructor core and move IIT's up or thru the paces a bit quicker and more effective. Although all shooters are welcome to attend.

The 3 Day RBC, is predominately the KD only marksmanship component of the 6 day RBC. It's requirement is a center fire rifle and previous attendance to an Appleseed. Perhaps RBC should be replaced with 3 day Centerfire Long Range (CLR) or similar.

Hope to see you in NM!

Oh, thank you for pointing that out! I didn't notice that the durations differed. Is the list of things taught at each one posted somewhere? For example, AZRedhawk44 noted that in one of them a whole day is spent on target detection.

Transform

Quote from: AZBastiat on March 31, 2013, 05:35:20 PM
Is the list of things taught at each one posted somewhere?

Although the fundamental points of instruction remain consistent, we can't give you an inclusive list because too much depends on location, duration and other factors. But basically, you'll learn everything you learn at an Appleseed, plus how to teach those things to others, plus you'll do plenty of full distance shooting.

So no, there's no complete list posted, but here's a partial sample:
Topics include target detection, range estimation, wind correction, mirage, battle sight zero, moving targets, angle shooting, trajectory and come ups plus the need to make/keep a range card.
Shooters will get a chance to qualify for the real deal Full Distance (100-400 yards) AQT's at this event!

Hope that helps, let us know if you have other questions!

azmule

Soon to be added to the schedule, we have the 500M bay at the Mojave Sportsman Club in Kingman, AZ reserved for a Veteran's Day weekend KD RBC (or Centerfire KD?) Nov 9 through Nov 12.  Saturday, Sunday, Monday will be the standard 3 day marksmanship KD clinic as described above, with Tuesday tacked on as an "instruction free" shooting day for those who want extra time to refine and commit to memory what they've just learned - and also to give the instructors a day to play too.  (The 1,000yd bay will also be available to all shooters on Tuesday - publicly open, i.e. not reserved excusively for us like the 500M bay - for folks who want to explore their limits.)
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Long Rifle

AZbastiat,
Come to Whittington for your RBC. The location is spectacular. The facility is world class. The instruction is well organized, well sequenced, and fun. You'll leave with an intimate knowledge of your rifle and your abilities at full distance. Most of our shooting will be from 100 to 500 yards but there will be targets available out to 1100 yards.

Here's a thumb nail sketch of the 3 days.

Day 1
Warm Up Shooting (45 min.)
Target Detection (1-2 hours)
Range Estimation (2-3 hours)
IMC Review (30 min.)
Determining Baseline Sight Settings (30 min.)
Trajectory (30 min.)
Zero Verification at Distance (45 min)

Day 2
Warm Up Shooting (45 min.)
Adv. Trajectory including Angle shooting, Moving targets (20 min.)
Comeups (20 min.)
Wind - Speed Estimation, Correction (1 hr.)
Shooting at Distance in Wind (30 min.)

Full Distance Squares (3 hours)

Day 3
Warm Up Shooting (30 min.)
Discussion of Mechanical Sight Corrections vs. Holdoffs (15 min.)
Wind Holdoffs (10 min.)
MOA Exercises using Silhouette Targets (15 min.)
Full Distance AQTs. (6 hours)
Those that can, DO. Those that can DO MORE, teach.
Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

AZBastiat

Quote from: Long Rifle on April 02, 2013, 11:05:53 PM
AZbastiat,
Come to Whittington for your RBC. The location is spectacular. The facility is world class. The instruction is well organized, well sequenced, and fun.

This is referring to the Raton, NM RBCs, correct? http://www.nrawc.org/

TaosGlock

Quote from: AZBastiat on April 03, 2013, 12:25:35 AM
Quote from: Long Rifle on April 02, 2013, 11:05:53 PM
AZbastiat,
Come to Whittington for your RBC. The location is spectacular. The facility is world class. The instruction is well organized, well sequenced, and fun.

This is referring to the Raton, NM RBCs, correct? http://www.nrawc.org/
Yes!
We have 2 of these scheduled this year. One on May 17-19 and one from Sept. 13-15. Both dates are perfect weather for the outdoor classroom.
They will fill up fast. Sept has 7 already! Sept has cool temps, with the aspen are turning and the elk bugling.
Here is an AAR:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=29768.0
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose