News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Camping Information for the Montpelier Shoots

Started by jmdavis, April 01, 2013, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

If you are interested in Camping at Cavalier Rilfe and Pistol Club (the range for the Montpelier shoots), please contact me here or by email at jmdavis45@gmail.com (use subject line "Appleseed Camping". I will then get you my phone number so that we can coordinate arrivals etc.

The basic information is that I plan to be at the range by Friday at 5 pm for the Spring and Summer shoots. I will be there over the course of the weekends.

The range is equipped with restrooms each with a shower, a clubhouse, pond for fishing with a valid VA license and shooting facilities. Camping amenities include electric hookups, firerings, picnic tables, and close proximity to the range. Appleseeders are authorized only to shoot on the designated range during the course of the Appleseed.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

FiremanBob

Mike, thanks for posting that. I just PM'd it a guy on vagunforum who is registered with his family for the April 19 shoot and asked about camping.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

BadFishy

Mike,

Any recommendations on Hotels/Motels ?
Thanks,
Brian in Va. Beach
"The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance." -- John Philpot Curran

jmdavis

Hello Brian (are you the Brian from all of our C2 shoots?)

The nearest hotels would be in Ashland ~20 miles away. There are a number there. Prices seem to range from $44-$100 per night with a variety of reviews on google. Expect a 30-40 minute trip to and from the range.

Mike

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

Monkey

Quote from: FiremanBob on April 01, 2013, 03:15:53 PM
Mike, thanks for posting that. I just PM'd it a guy on vagunforum who is registered with his family for the April 19 shoot and asked about camping.

Mike, that would be me.  Email sent.

Thanks!
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

BadFishy

Mike,
That would be me from C2, sure wish we could have set up something there:).  Thanks for the info, I may go up and visit my daughter at UVA and stay around there.
Regards,
Brian
"The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance." -- John Philpot Curran

jmdavis

I thought that it might be you. Convince her that she should come and shoot! I hope to see you there.

Mike

Monkey

Quote from: jmdavis on April 01, 2013, 10:28:28 AM

The range is equipped with restrooms each with a shower, a clubhouse, pond for fishing with a valid VA license and shooting facilities. Camping amenities include electric hookups, firerings, picnic tables, and close proximity to the range. Appleseeders are authorized only to shoot on the designated range during the course of the Appleseed.

Mike

For those interested in camping during future AS shoots here, a little more detail:

- The camping area right across the road from the AS range.  Makes it awful more convenient than getting up at 5-6am to drive a few hours.

- Several of the sites have 20A service, with electrical outlets just like the ones you have at your home.  I had brought a small travel trailer that had a 30A cord.  For those who are uninitiated in RV camping, 30A and 50A cords have different plugs than 20A.  Fortunately, I had an 30A to 20A plug adapter; however the outlet cover door prevented the plug adapter from completely seating.  We were able to get everything to work though.  YMMV.

- Two large fire rings at the site.  There is also firewood stacked there from felled trees.

- For RVs, there is a dump station right next to the restrooms.  There are no water connections at each site, but there is a spigot to draw water for cooking, filling water tanks, etc.

- The camping sites are right next to the lake.

Overall, my family and I had a great time last weekend.  The facilities were great and the staff was superb.  Definitely looking forward to coming back.

ATB,
Monkey

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

jbritely

I'm planning on camping for the shoot next weekend (probably Saturday night only).  So, the nearest hotel is 40 minutes away.  What about food?  I can pack lunch for two days but would prefer to buy dinner or groceries for Saturday night.  What are the closest options?  Thanks.  Do I need a camping reservations?

thanks

jmdavis

Here is a repost of the email that I sent a few minutes ago to give others the same information. If you will be arriving Friday, remember to contact me via email and I will get you my cell number so that we can make arrangements for you to get into the club.

If you are arriving Saturday morning, you don't need to make any arrangements. There is an Italian place, a BBQ place, and a Chinese place as well as a Food Lion and a couple of gas stations in Montpelier (around 6 miles away). The gate at the entrance to the club is by card access only so you will need to call me if you leave to get back in. I plan to be on-site all weekend.

jmdavis

If you are attending the Montpelier shoot and plan to camp Friday night, YOU MUST CONTACT ME to make entrance arrangements. You may PM me here on the site or email me at jmdavis45@gmail.com and I will provide you with my phone number. At the last event there were several people who made no arrangements for friday camping and arrived when I was unavailable. If this continues to happen there is a chance that the venue will be lost.

jmdavis

Last call to make arrangements for Friday night camping at Montpelier, VA. If you do not make arrangements for Friday night you will not be able to camp.

Mike

jmdavis

If you are attending or instructing at the Montpelier, VA Appleseeds and plan to camp on Friday, you MUST contact me beforehand to arrange access. Cavalier is a gated range and the Gate will be locked.

You can PM here on the Appleseed Forums and we can coordinate via email. Once you contact me I will provide my phone number and we can arrange things.

Mike Davis

jmdavis

As of now, 11 am Friday, no one has contacted me about friday camping. I am not planning any specific arrival time.

This thread should make it clear that a non member attendee cannot camp at Cavalier on the Friday before a shoot without contacting me for access. Period!

jmdavis

Bringing this back up to the top. If anyone is planning to camp Friday night Sept. 18, you must contact me. You may email jmdavis45@gmail.com. Camping at Cavalier is ONLY available the night before a shoot with prior notice.

Mike

jmdavis

If you are planning to camp Friday night (March 11, 2016) for the Montpelier VA shoot, you must contact me to make arrangements to get into the gate. I plan to be at the range by 18:30.

PM me here with your email address and we will communicate via email and I will provide my cell number to you. 

Monkey

Mike,

Plan to camp for Cavalier August 12-13.  Will show up ~1800ish on the 11th.

Team Monkey will be bringing a larger trailer this time.  Not "Moriarty large", but of comparable size.

Thanks,
Jesse

― Hyman G. Rickover

jmdavis

If you are planning to camp Friday,  you need to contact me so that you can get in the gate. Send me a pm here with your email info and we will coordinate. Right now The Monkeys are the only people that have contacted me.

jntragesser

Have fun folks, I shot Montpelier last year but had to shoot in Fairfax this year due to scheduling problems.  I really like the Cavalier gun club and their range at Montpelier.  Just watch the 10 mph limit entering the gravel road to the range, keep it lower if you can; residents are watchful for any infractions, don't feed them ammo.
John N. Tragesser
www.tragworks.com