News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

East TN

Started by BringMeSunshine, March 25, 2013, 01:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BringMeSunshine

I tried messaging tncolonel but, apparently, I am not allowed.  "You are not allowed to access this section"

So here goes.

Where is the closest Appleseed to East TN.  That would be Knoxville and East of Knoxville.  Adjacent states are KY, VA, GA.

I know there is one at Manchester but that is 3 1/2 hours away.

Anything closer to North east TN ?

Maximum Ordinate

There is an Appleseed in Rising Fawn, GA on the weekend of 4/5 May.

That's about 3 hours from Knoxville. 
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

crankybones

Sunshine, there is also one each in Elon, NC (almost 5 hrs) and Charlotte, NC (3 3/4 hrs) on the weekend of April 20-21.
Not too far for an excellent weekend of fun and learning  ^:)^  ~~:)

Plain Old Dave

Haven't posted much here, but this is a valid point. I live in Oak Ridge and can be over on the Watershed in Norris in 20 minutes. 3 1/2 hours seems like a long way to go shoot.

9mm4545

Seems I recall there is a pretty nice shooting range in Oak Ridge. Has anybody contacted them to see about sponsoring an Appleseed there? At one time in the past there was an Appleseed in Maryville. Is that venue no longer available?
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Nero

I don't see any Maryville location in the past AS records (I've got them back through 2007), but there were two shoots in 2009 and 2010 on private property at the end of Crystal Mountain Rd south of Maynardville.  Looks like about 20 air miles NNE of Knoxville. 

Here's the old event info page:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11056.msg91089#msg91089
which should be visible to non-instructors.  Maybe someone should find out if that location is still available?
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

BringMeSunshine

I found this private shooting range.

http://www.odellsshootingrange.com/

Although for numbers, something closer to Knoxville would be better for most people.  Greater population and all that.

Ramblin' Wreck

We expect to have some events scheduled in Sevierville by mid-summer. We're just waiting on the dirt work to be completed at the range.

Stay tuned.

Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

tncolonel

FYI  -  I have made multiple trip to the Oak Ridge Sportsman's Association (ORSA) and spoken to their  board of directors twice.  I even joined their rifle club for $120 a year to try and get an audience to get access to one of their multiple rifle ranges to do an Appleseed. They just do not seem to think that an Appleseed fits their club mission.  Even though they have a couple of nice ranges they apparently rarely use that would be perfect. They have multile shooting ranges in their 860 acre complex.  Ramblinwreck has started the process to get access to a range in Sevierville, TN and I will do a site visit to a possible range at Strawberry Plains, TN in the near future.

TNColonel

BringMeSunshine

Sounds good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoxville,_Tennessee

• City    178,874
• Metro    848,350
• Combined Statistical Pop    1,029,155

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Tennessee#Demographics

2000 census it had 2,119,505 inhabitants

That's a sizeable population within an hours drive of somewhere central in East TN, like Morristown (pop, 30,000).

Ramblin' Wreck

I just got word today that the range being constructed to Appleseed specs in Sevierville, TN should be ready within the next 30 days. Watch the schedule for dates.

Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

TN.Chaplain

Excited about the possibility of an Appleseed in Sevierville, that only an hour from the house.
Last year we had a Glock GSSF shoot in Knoxville at a facility that had several ranges, with
restrooms and plenty of parking.  Has anybody spoke to

Volunteer Rifle & Pistol Club

John Sevier Hunter Education Center
2327 Rifle Range Dr.
P.O. Box 5115
Knoxville, Tennessee 37928
Club Phone:    865-687-9945

Also the F.O.P. range in Loudon County maybe an option.
It is very close to Exit 76 off of I-75
Also close to Fred Feddersen's shop - the ultimate in 10/22 barrels  ;)

Much better options than Oak Ridge......
Patriot = An Everyday American That Has Had Enough!