News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Book Recommendation

Started by Prof. C.J., February 28, 2013, 02:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. C.J.

I posted a longer version of this in the "History" section, but I figured I'd put something here for my fellow Floridians as well.  This is a book I've mentioned to a few of you in conversation, and that I've been meaning to post about for a couple of months (ever since I read it) and finally got to today.

The book is American Insurgents, American Patriots:  The Revolution of the People by T.H. Breen, published in 2010.  I found it to be a very readable and interesting book that covered a lot of things of which even I (who have taught college history for seven years) was completely ignorant.  It was also a book that I found to be a wonderful complement to Paul Revere's Ride and other works about Lexington and Concord, because it really puts the events of April 19 in a broader context.

Here's the first paragraph of the book, to give you an idea of what it's about:

"Two years before the Declaration of Independence, a young, evangelical colonial population accomplished something truly extraordinary.  In small communities from New Hampshire to Georgia, it successfully challenged the authority of Great Britain, then the strongest empire in the world.  The vast majority of Americans have never heard the people's story.  Instead, we have concentrated attention on the lives of a small group of celebrated leaders.  Without the people, however, there would have been no independent nation.  Confident of their God-given rights, driven by anger against an imperial government that treated them like second-class subjects, American insurgents resisted parliamentary rule, first spontaneously, as loosely organized militants who purged the countryside of Crown officials, and then, increasingly after late-1774, as members of local committees of safety that became schools for revolution."

I put a little bit more info and a bit of review on the History section of the forum, so please check that out if you're intrigued.
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken

9mm4545

Amazon delivered via the Brown Truck 'O Happiness and I must say, this is a great book. If you are telling the story, you need this book.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Engineer shooting

Thanks, Prof C.J. I'm enjoying the read.
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther