News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The move to Iowa is soon becoming a reality!

Started by Publican, March 07, 2013, 10:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publican

Howdy all!

Been planning a move to Iowa for about 2 years now. But it really just hit home while discussing a PA event I am going to try to attend this May. I had to tell a fellow AS'er that I will be there IF I am still in PA.

My wife and I are actually coming out in about 9 days to spend 1 week viewing as many homes as possible - Statewide.

I am not sure how active I will be able to be this year (2013) but I am looking forward to meeting some more like minded folks once we get settled.  I am sure Chainsaw, Stand and Sgt Rock would be glad to dish out the dirt on me if you want it &)

I will start to follow the Iowa board in addition to the PA so I can start to learn a bit about life in my new home.

Hope to see you all soon! Can't Wait.
"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Charles McKinley

God's speed Sir,

You will be missed.  All the best in your new home.

Hope to see you on the trail.

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Chainsaw

Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Miller

Welcome to the cadre Publican.
It's a small crew here at present but a good bunch.

Can't wait to see you on the trail.
Fearful but resolute.

CiviSoldier

I am happy to hear that your plans are coming to fruition.  Good luck with the house hunt, the right one will jump out at you as ours did when we made our move here. 
Keep us updated with how things go!
Warm regards to you and your wife, V
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
When there is little hope
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far
Remember Who We Are" - Krista Branch

sgtrock

Publican

You take care my friend,, Hope to see you again. maybe I'll be passing through that way in the near future if the laws here don't get repealed,,

As far as any Dirt on you,,, None to be found,,,, Just an American Patriot that I am Proud to know,,,

You have the best D.O.M. presentation that I have ever witnessed at a shoot, very ingenious,, keep up the good work,,,

Keep in touch,,,

Stoner

Publican

As soon as I get a permanent addy, I will send it to you all.

Even though I just started to get to know everyone I can not be thankful enough for all that I have been (given) LENT. I will pass forward all that I am able.

We plan to have a small "hobby" farm once we are settled. Want to start to provide some of our own meat, eggs, herbs, vegies, etc.

There will be plenty of room for folks who need a spot  O0

(looks like I just may get to practice my DOM in Harrisburg if still here)

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

CiviSoldier

For herbs and veggies, or even a good grow-your-own chicken feed, check out www.sustainableseedco.com. They have good varieties of heirloom seeds, a poultry package, and even safety seed cans.

We are getting our coop and chickens soon...   O0

Best of luck!  V
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
When there is little hope
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far
Remember Who We Are" - Krista Branch

Fred

You might want to "check in" with the IA Appleseed crew, to make sure they have room for one more ASer! :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Publican

Already got a few PM's stating that they were all filled up - no room for a noob ;)

Publican

Quote from: CiviSoldier on March 09, 2013, 10:18:47 AM
For herbs and veggies, or even a good grow-your-own chicken feed, check out www.sustainableseedco.com. They have good varieties of heirloom seeds, a poultry package, and even safety seed cans.

We are getting our coop and chickens soon...   O0

Best of luck!  V

THANKS for the link! GL on your new critters.

Yankeedutch

Publican,

Welcome to Iowa!!
We always have room for one more.
Where are you going to be?
Will you be at our upcoming shoots in Ames or Winterset?

Dutch
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Publican

HEY IOWA!

It is now a reality. I have PM'd a few goodby's to those I worked with. I know I have forgotten 2 folks (no slight intended) and hope to get those off ASAP.

@Dutch: Sorry I have been pre-occupied with all that has been going on and did not get an answer back to you.

Closing is beginning of May - WOOT!!! Will be in Iowa for at least a week to sign papers, set up things for the new home and such. Then will have to find a job, head back to PA to make the actual move, head back out to Iowa.......AND keep my sanity while doing the above.

SPEAKING of jobs.....yep, networking is a great way to find folks who need a new hard working employee. Qualifications you say? SALES, SERVICE, CUSTOMER relationship building, Persuasion, Leadership by example....Psychology degree focusing on business, sales, social interaction and persuasion. OH yeah - I enjoy public speaking - Especially about Hezekiah Wyman  ^:)^

AND I push a mean broom and am not afraid to start at the bottom :cool2:

Now, since  :pics:   here is a link showing what some of our blank slate will look like (once current folks are moved out) https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101777624019856069386/albums/5871232247752693825?authkey=CIH4jc61_bTGxQE

We will be in the North West corner of Iowa - In the spencer area. My research on AS in Iowa showed not much close to me but not afraid to travel once things get settled.

See ya soon I suspect...

BuzzG

Publican,

Keep an eye on the Minnesota board too. There is a shoot coming up in mid May at Wells, MN and one in Fairmont, MN mid July.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

BuzzG

Miller

Quote from: Publican on April 28, 2013, 06:10:12 PM

We will be in the North West corner of Iowa - In the spencer area. My research on AS in Iowa showed not much close to me but not afraid to travel once things get settled.

See ya soon I suspect...

NW Iowa is a bit sparse at the moment.
Rather than traveling though why not find a range or three up there to host?
And some of us will travel to you. :)
Fearful but resolute.

Publican

Publican

Since this is basically a continuation about the move to Iowa, I will add on to this thread.

We have settled in and finally gotten back on our feet. Not ahead of the game but not behind the 8 Ball either.

The first job I got here in the Spencer Iowa area had me working EVERY WEEKEND  :wb: I have done this all my life basically but when I became involved with AS in PA I was an independent contractor so I could take time off as needed to work shoots.

Now for the good news/bad news: The only time I was ever "let go" from a job was this "weekend working job" I got when I first came to Iowa. Was hired as a temp but it still stung the pride. The good news is that the new position I secured after that debacle is permanent/full time/ and currently only every other weekend. It will give me TIME to get back into the swing of things w/AS  ^:)^  I can't wait.

The goal will be to try and get to the closest shoot to me as often as I can. Expenses are still tight so camping (something I love to do) will also determine which shoots I can attend.

I offer up my current knowledge as a beginner with AS but am more than willing to tackle the Hezekiah story as often as you will let me. My plan this winter will be to try and work on another story as well (now with that said out loud I will be forced to work on it).

Can't wait for that first night camping in a new place - and those uncertain few minutes as I meet new AS folks. If they go half as good as they went in PA I know I will feel like I am with old friends.

Until we meet:

Publican

Twineagles

We will be willing to put you to work. Iowa schedule will be getting laid out in the next couple of months. I am going to be the new state coordinator and located in the Winterset area.

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

Pitspitr

Hey Publican
Now that you're an Iowan, keep your eye on that Miller feller. He's  been known to lead newbys astray. O0

Publican

I hear "astray" can be a fun place to be sometimes!

I see the drive to Winterset area isn't too far from me. The getting home after a long Sunday may be interesting but as fired up as I always feel after an AS weekend, this should not be an issue.

Can we typically camp on the grounds of the clubs where we hold events? That was a nice perk back in PA and a great way to save a lot of money.

Twineagles

We can accommodate anyone coming to Winterset. Not all of the ranges have that option.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

Publican

Pitspitr

Publican

Pitspitr

;D ;D
It's one of the forgotten states between the Peoples Republic of Illinois and the Peoples Republic of California  ;)

mac3647

Free camping in S/W Iowa  when we have a Seed.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"  Thomas Jefferson

Miller

Lead newbies astray?
Moi?
@)

Hopefully the new year will put damp down the chaos that seems to have become my life and I can get back to the line.

My first shoot of '14 may well be in the mud with the un-hatted masses.  I've darn near forgotten what burnt powder smells like.

And Publican, just because you're so comfortable with the tale of the Mr. Wyman I'm officially calling dibs on it for any shoots we work together. ;)
Best crack your copy of Fisher and bone up on Whittemore, Lamson, Russell, and maybe get started on a Strike.
Fearful but resolute.

Publican

Quote from: mac3647 on December 29, 2013, 09:49:29 AM
Free camping in S/W Iowa  when we have a Seed.

Free is within my budget...most excellent.

Publican

Quote from: Miller on January 01, 2014, 12:53:01 AM
Lead newbies astray?
Moi?
@)

Hopefully the new year will put damp down the chaos that seems to have become my life and I can get back to the line.

My first shoot of '14 may well be in the mud with the un-hatted masses.  I've darn near forgotten what burnt powder smells like.

And Publican, just because you're so comfortable with the tale of the Mr. Wyman I'm officially calling dibs on it for any shoots we work together. ;)
Best crack your copy of Fisher and bone up on Whittemore, Lamson, Russell, and maybe get started on a Strike.

Welll, getting another personalized story under my belt is definitely the goal. Stand in PA used to (if I remember correctly) practice speaking to his dog (sorry stand if I mangled that). I just talk to myself in the jeep and while doing yard work.

And as to my version of the Wyman tale....sounds like a face off to me ..:..  I say bring it on and let the best tale win!!!

;D 

Twineagles

Quote from: Publican on January 01, 2014, 10:24:11 AM
Quote from: Miller on January 01, 2014, 12:53:01 AM
Lead newbies astray?
Moi?
@)

Welll, getting another personalized story under my belt is definitely the goal. Stand in PA used to (if I remember correctly) practice speaking to his dog (sorry stand if I mangled that). I just talk to myself in the jeep and while doing yard work.

And as to my version of the Wyman tale....sounds like a face off to me ..:..  I say bring it on and let the best tale win!!!

;D

Sounds like the gauntlet has been laid down. Dueling Wyman's sounds good to me.

Mike