Author Topic: Marksmanship: Dry Fire Practice (March - April, 2013)  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Nero

• Inactive Instructor
  • Don't fiddle while your country burns.
Marksmanship: Dry Fire Practice (March - April, 2013)
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:27:21 PM by Nero »

Offline cyclingbob

Re: Marksmanship: Dry Fire Practice (March - April, 2013)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
Great article on preparation but need clarification

Nero says re:
Let's take a look at the typical sequence for putting rounds down range during a transition stage:

3: As trigger hand reaches ground to support the bodies' descent, it finds and grabs the first magazine

But the AQT for stage 2 and 3 says:

...Start from standing with 2 rds loaded drop to sitting/prone.

From 3 above it sounds like first mag. change is made at the ground where AQT says something different. (Grabs the first mag....but the first mag. is in the rifle at standing per AQT)

So bottom line: 3 should read: ...."grabs the second mag."

More fun to have 2 rds loaded...

Thanks for clarification.

Bob

Offline FiremanBob

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »
CyclingBob: I don't know how old the AQT sheet is that you're referring to, but the practice of transitioning with a loaded rifle is no longer used. We now transition, in both stage 2 and stage 3, with no magazine in the rifle and both mags placed on the mat.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"
1022Companion.com

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Offline cyclingbob

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »
FiremanBob

Thanks for the clarification.

I will just have to move faster with both mag changes "on the clock."

Will still be fun.

Cheers!

Bob

Offline Nero

• Inactive Instructor
  • Don't fiddle while your country burns.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 01:21:52 AM »
The copy on the masters for the AQT (and probably some of the other targets) haven't been updated in years.  Any volunteers?   ::)   :pop:

Offline FiremanBob

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 09:06:43 AM »
cyclingBob: As long as you get your first shot off in 12-14 seconds, and take one shot per breath, you will have no trouble completing the stage within the time limit with two mag insertions.

This is why finding your natural, steady position for NPOA and practicing transitions are so important. In my experience, most shooters don't put enough time into experimenting with their position to get to the point where all the steady hold factors come together naturally, so they fidget and muscle the rifle after getting into position. Remember, accuracy and speed both come from consistency, which means doing everything the same way every time. Also remember that smooth is fast, but hurried is slow.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"
1022Companion.com

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Offline cyclingbob

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 11:20:45 AM »
FiremanBob

No doubt NPOA is where the money is. If your not on target the rest does not matter.

Thanks.

Bob

Offline AMRoberts

Re: Marksmanship: Dry Fire Practice (March - April, 2013) ... Where to buy?
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
Apologies for bumping an older thread, but it seems most closely-related.  After attending my first Appleseed at Ramseur, I hope to get more practice in at my local range.  Unfortunately, I think any sitting or prone shooting I can do there will require the target to be at 100 yards (berm issues, I'll skip the long story).

So the quick solution for my issue ... Does anyone know where I can purchase a correct-sized AQT-style target for 100 yards?

Seeking some knowledge, I played around with printing the "AQT - Page 1.PDF" file I downloaded from this thread.  Scaling up by 365.76% (i.e., from 25 meters up to 100 yards, per the text on the target) did not make the black square on the upper-right of the target 4 inches/MOA.  Am I correct in assuming that should be a 4-inch square?

Scaling by 400% I get a 4-inch square in the upper right.  However this seems to produce a target that is substantially wider than head-and-shoulders (or at least wider than mine).  The only reference I've been able to find (thus far) for, "Target, Rifle D" (per the PDF) seems to refer to a 200 yard target.  If I end up trying to find a local printer to make a run of 100-yard targets I'd like it to be a reasonable approximation of correct ... Am I messing up the scaling somehow?

Thanks,
Alan Roberts
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:15:14 PM by AMRoberts »

Offline Charles McKinley

• Shoot Boss
  • Formerly Stand
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 09:38:11 PM »
http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page4.html

Appleseed Store has them at the link above.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Offline jmdavis

• Ramseur IBC 1108
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:53:41 PM »
A D Target is not representative of "head and shoulders."  As you have discovered it is wider. That is because the D target represents a prone figure.

You can make your 400% target for offhand at 100 yards. For sitting, use a 300% target.  For rapid prone use at 200% target and for 400 at 100, use the top target on the AQT. 

Then again you could simply make some circles that are 12", 8", 6" and 4 inches. This would be tagets of 12moa for standing, 8moa for sitting, 6 moa for rapid fire prone and 4 inches for slow fire prone. Shooting these would give you good practice. They will be smaller than the appleseed target and shooting them well will help you improve.

But you can have free practice at home through dry fire. Use it.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner