News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Centerton, AR--March 2-3 AAR

Started by hornet41, March 04, 2013, 09:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornet41

We had 4 hardy Americans show up to learn marksmanship and hear the REAL story of April 19, 1775! Saturday morning was very cold! The wind would carry you away!! We all had all the cloths on we owned and still were cold!! In spite of the harsh conditions everyone carried on!!! umdaddy, bless his heart built a fire with his fire dragon machine (propane bottle with a large burner on a length of hose)! Several engaged in gathering firewood and keeping a supply through the day. mother cobbler kept hot water available for hot choc and coffee. Lifesaver!!!!!
Everyone learned the difficulties of slinging up with bulky jackets and keeping the slings up high in the arm pit!! As well as getting into position in bulky cloths! I was very surprised at the good groups most shot on the squares. Three required sight adjustments. As the day progressed, the wind never let up. We had a devil of a time keeping tarps and shooting mats stationary. The strong cross winds played heck with keeping NPOA through the weekend. Perry required sight adjustments to his Ruger Tech sights and maintaining a good hard front sight focus. He made good progress through the weekend. Todd and his wife, Tamara and daughter, Liesl, were real troopers! Tamara and Liesl progressed through the weekend. Todd brought his M4 Sunday and was going BOOM-BOOM BOOM on the far right side of the line! Music to our ears!!
Sunday afternoon for a break and change, brought out some "fun" guns for the folks to shoot. We had an M1A Scout with eotech, AK47
and two mosins. Todd, Perry and Tamara, as well as a couple of instructors shot these and had a blast! Telling of history (around that wonderful fire) was absorbed and some very good questions were asked. Trajectories, target detection, BSZ ect. were covered and in particular, wind as we were all about to blow away!! I estimate well over 20 MPH gusts all weekend.
The Instructors, Kat, Libby and Smiler performed their duties well! When I was having a "senior moment" they were quick to get me on the right track!! mother cobbler and umdaddy were a great help with Registration, fire building and hot water!
Liesl was awarded a young patriot's patch.
Everyone went away having learned new skills and an appreciation of real history story!! Our duty photographer, mother cobbler will be along to post pictures!!!

Ratchett

Congratulations Mo and Ark cadre!! Sounds like a great time despite that 'wonderful' Centerton wind tunnel!!

4 Patriots with the heart of Riflemen, no one can ask for better...
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Mother Cobbler

Mo,
Thank you so much for coming back to our AS.  We really appreciate you and your time you spend with us.  The weather was pretty cold, and windy is our usual Centerton challenge. 

It was great meeting our shooters. I am glad that Perry decided not to camp out Sat. night, he was a fast learner and improved immensely during the two days.  Leisl you were a trooper being as cold as you were and still getting nice groups was great congratulations on the Young Patriots Patch.  Todd it was a pleasure to have you at our shoot, you did excellent with the factory sights and we hope you get your tech sights soon.  Tamara thanks for spending the two days with us, we saw great improvement with your shooting.  We hope you can all come again and spend some time with our AS family.   

Thank you to Ken and Frank for the use of their range it was wonderful as usual.  A special thank you to Ken and Frank for the use of their fire dragon machine and getting the clean port-a-potty. 

Thank you
Mother Cobbler

Mother Cobbler

Mother Cobbler

spray paint froze

Mother Cobbler

Mother Cobbler

Mother Cobbler

Mother Cobbler

Mother Cobbler

Mother Cobbler

You can check out the face book page for Arkansas.
https://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedArkansas
Thanks
Mother Cobbler

Nero

Hey, MC:  If you put {img}{/img} tags around those URLs (replace my curly braces with square braces), it will display images right in your post, so your shooters don't have to click through.

Thanks for all you do!
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

pdholden

Thanks to everyone for making this possible. Mo is super knowledgeable, and I learned a lot about history that I never knew. Plus it's always great to meet another fellow Mississippian.  :) Umdaddy, Mother Cobbler, and the girls are a truly awesome family, and they were immensely patient and helpful. It was also great meeting Todd, Tamara and Leisl too. I think it's cool to see an entire family participate, and I was impressed that everyone stuck with it, despite the cold and the wind.

I will say that one thing that surprised me (and I shared with Mother Cobbler) is that while shooting the "fun guns," I found out that all the practice on the .22 quickly and easily transferred over to the larger calibers. I was informed that after this event, the skills we learn should apply to almost any rifle off the shelf.

With everything I've learned, my confidence has greatly improved, and I'm so pleased about what I've learned thus far. Overall, I had an absolute "blast" :--- , and I learned a great deal. I'll definitely be coming back for an additional Appleseed event. In the meantime, I'll have to practice, practice, practice.

Herky

Tamara, Liesl and I had an absolutely wonderful time.  Yes, it was cold, but the shooting was hot!  And, Mother Cobbler kept me sane with hot coffee.  The history lessons reminded me of sitting around hunting campfire with my dad.  I've been shooting since I could barely walk, learned to shoot in military, but I learned a ton from.  Tamara and Liesl went in skeptical, came out loving it.  We all really appreciate the time, effort and professionalism.  We plan on attending again and finding away to give back.  Whoever reads this, sign up, go in with an open mind/ready to learn no matter how much experience you have.  Perry, hope to see you again.  Cheers, all, Todd