News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona Appleseed, October 18-19

Started by Francis Marion, July 02, 2008, 05:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Marion

Folks, there are three and a half months to prepare to score Expert at the upcoming Corona Appleseed at Raahauge's- next one is October 18-19. 
Honor your right to keep and bear arms by working to do so well.

"Well, I already do that, I shoot plenty," you say.

You might get proficient shooting on your own, (after awhile), but there is nothing like an Appleseed to ramp up the learning process.  Most lifetime informal shooters will walk into an Appleseed on Saturday morning... and by the end of the day, they're amazed at their improvement.  Appleseeders commonly print groups that are, by the end of the day, half to a third the size of their initial Saturday morning test group. 

What's the reason for such improvement?  Simply this:  It is the natural, expected result of a shooter who has received proper instruction, and is executing sound techniques. 
Suppose you're interested in becoming a better rifle shot, and you go to your favorite range from time to time to work toward this goal.  You have a rifle, ammo, and a range, but what you're very likely missing out on is fundamental technique coaching.  If somebody has never informed you of rifle shooting fundamentals- that is, how to build solid positions, use your sights, and squeeze that trigger- you're really unlikely to stumble across them on your own. 

It's very well to be a gun owner- but practicing rifle shooting fundamentals makes you a good shot.  I'll bet many would pay three figures to a coach to improve their golf game.  That's purely for leisure and recreation.  Suppose, friend, your country issued you a rifle, and that your family and nation's survival- let alone that of your squad- depended upon how well you knew how to use it.  I believe that Appleseed can take you nearer, and faster, to that skillset than a year's worth of unstructured primer-punching at your regular range. 

Thinking about joining the military, or are you already signed up for the delayed entry program?  Appleseed teaches you how to distinguish yourself positively during your future range time.  Show up with a copy of your signed service contract, your Appleseed instruction is free!

This is key to shooting well: it is not the number of rounds you fire over your lifetime that makes you a good shot.  You can expend thousands of rounds- but with poor shooting form, you generate poor groupings, smoke, and noise.  What a difference, though, a little solid coaching makes, and in a very few rounds. 

Your average inexperienced (but Appleseeded) rifle owner will often shoot a rifle more accurately than an experienced (but never coached) rifle owner.  To prove this out, all you have to do is observe the people who shoot at Appleseeds, and chat with them about their shooting background. 
Two trends crystallize:  The fact that people have been shooting 'for years' has no bearing necessarily on their ability to shoot well.  However, the fact that people may have fired fewer than a hundred shots prior to Appleseed does not prevent them from shooting extremely well, after some proper coaching. 

Come on out- if shooting is worth your time, then it's worth learning how to do it well. 
Appleseed is such a stand-out program precisely because American shooting is often done informally and absent solid coaching.  As such, many times we simply shoot for fun, but seldom for the purpose of improvement, and almost never after having been coached properly.  I'm all for fun.  But a weekend of Appleseed builds you a solid foundation for you to practice, refine and improve your shooting over your lifetime.  And that, friends, is true fun that is also the proper tribute due Liberty. 

Anybody planning to carpool?  Great way to meet your fellow gun owners, just yak all the way in, talking guns and politics to your heart's content without the inevitable eye glaze-over of your non-shooting buddies who wish you followed sports or TV.

So, who's coming out?  What're you shooting?

bob 210

This event is only a month away.......who's coming? Make sure you pre-reg!
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

kman62

I have tickets for both days. Is it ok to bring an OLL p50 or BB?  If not are there still rentals available?

kman62

Arc,
Thanks for the feedback. The only rifle I currently own at this time is an OLL AR. I also have about 450 rounds of 55 grain and 400 rounds of m855 green tip ammo.

Don't have a shooting jacket, but may be able to pick up one this week. I read somewhere that you can buy a sling at the event. 

Lots to do to get ready for this weekend. I just heard aout the event last Thursday and I didn't want to miss out.

See you there this weekend.   

SavageShootr

Hey Kman,

Welcome to the forum!!

I happen to know that Bob 210 has a few slings available (I saw him last weekend at a Gun Show) for sale. Get in touch with him and tell him you need one. Please don't quote me but I think they are in the neighborhood of 10.00.

Enjoy the weekend. You are right, you really don't want to miss out!  ;D

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

kman62

Thanks, guys for all your help. I'm really looking foward to meeting you'll this weekend.

MrBill

kman62

I would however recommend bringing soft elbow pads if you don't get a shooting jacket.  It takes a while to build up the elbow calluses.

See you this weekend

Cheers

Mr Bill
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."  Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi

kman62

How many people normally show up for the Corona event?

So far, I've got tickets, got ammo, got rifle, got water, got teachable attitude. Need to get elbow pads and ground cover. Going to the range tonight to attemp to sight in at 25yrds.

Happy happy joy joy

SavageShootr

kman,

While it is okay to sight it in, you will be taught how, at the event. If you are on paper, that is helpful. Have a good day at the range. Oh, wait, any day at the range is a good day.  :D :D :D

When I checked to numbers for Corona, they were at 35, but I checked another source and there were a dozen or so more than that, as of now.  :o

I attended the Corona AS event in March. There were over 50 but I am not certain exactly how many. I had way more to think about that weekend.  :-\

I was looking at your list of items that you have. Remember to take lunch. While there are places in town to eat, you are going to want to have lunch at the range, with the rest of the group. It really is the best part of Appleseed. Bringing a teachable attitude is key. It is good that you have that.  ;D

I am packing my stuff and heading North to Piru this weekend. Two AS in CA this weekend!! Who'd have thought that would ever happen?  :o ;D 8)

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete