News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Fourth Strike of the Match

Started by Gunman Doc, February 22, 2013, 03:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunman Doc

Hey all,

So I was researching some history tonight, and I came across the website for the Menotomy Minuteman Trail:

http://www.menotomytrail.com/MenotomyMinutemanTrailGuide2.pdf

In the Prologue, Howard B. Winkler, of the Arlington Historical Society, states:

"Lexington and Concord could be seen as unfortunate sets of accidents, which could possibly be reversed by skillful diplomacy. In Arlington, the fierce combat between the forces, the murder of innocents, the looting, and burning were no accidents. It sealed the fate of the British force occupying Boston. The Siege of Boston would soon begin."

I don't intend to discount the importance of the events at Meriam's Corner.  The impact of the colonists' decision to fire upon the Regulars without being directly fired upon cannot be understated.  I feel that the events that took place in Menotomy that day deserve the same amount of reverence that we give to the three strikes.  I think that, on the whole, we tend to give a good account of the events that took place in Menotomy.  However, when we promote our story as "The Three Strikes of the Match" and the story of Menotomy happens after the third strike, it almost seems to be overshadowed.  I agree with Mr. Winkler that the atrocities perpetrated by the Regulars at Menotomy added a great deal of fuel to the revolutionary fire, and thus deserve to be considered a strike on their own.  I think that, after the events of Meriam's Corner, the British would have found it hard to forgive the colonists, but that the colonists might have let things go.  After the atrocities committed by the Regulars at Menotomy, however, I think there was no turning back for the colonists.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Gunman Doc
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. "
--Samuel Adams

"Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent."
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Ratchett

My third strike spends time telling of Meriams Corner, Parkers Revenge etc but spends a lot of time (in comparison) highlighting the fierce fighting and atrocities of Menotomy. I do not feel we would do justice if the story of Jason Russell was left out.

My .02---
ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Transform

When I go out to light the barbecue, it usually takes me a few matches to get the coals well started. Then, when I become impatient at the slow fire and pour gasoline on the coals to really get 'em going (extra flavor!), I don't consider that as having used another match. The fire was already going, all I did was cause it to flare up even bigger (and add some extra flavor!).

Enough atrocities had already been committed to light the fire and feed the flames; adding even more atrocities just caused the existing fire to flare up bigger.

Oz

I like Ratchett's approach.

You're right...there is more story to tell in Menotomy than at Meriam's Corner.  From a "looking at that 5 minutes" view, Meriam's Corner is arguably smaller than the Portsmouth raid, for pete's sake.  Colonists attacked a fort, overwhelmed the (tiny) garrison, and hauled off cannon, muskets, and powder.  That seems like a really big deal--it would be in 2013!  But nothing more happened after Portsmouth--no war.

The scattering of shots at Meriam's Corner (and I wish there were more details, the history seems as much of a hash as Lexington--did the rearguard "present"? Did the rearguard fire? Did pursuing militia fire? Personally I'm satisfied that this was the 3rd Strike in that at a minimum it seems clear unengaged militia stepped up and engaged even though not threatened themselves.) was not as large a battle as Menotomy, but it signaled the start of the running battle that continued the rest of the day.  It doesn't get its significance through screenplay-ready details of houses ankle-deep in blood...it's significant just because it happened, and because of what followed directly and continuously.

So Menotomy doesn't feel like a fourth strike to me...it is part of the fire that followed. IMHO. I might have a different answer next week. 

I like the barbecue metaphor but we're already rushed for the weekend, best not to keep stretching things beyond 1st-2nd-3rd Strike to include new history segments on "The Placement of the Charcoal", "The Seasoning of the Burgers", and "The Dropping of the Potato Salad Bowl".   :)  Besides, new history segments would push my PC 4 farther out unless I start doubling or tripling up!
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

ATM

I agree with many of the others in the general respect that Menotomy was an intensifier rather than a fresh spark.
The fresh troops of Percy's relief were made well aware of that fire despite not having played a direct roll in the mornings skirmishes.
Similarly, the militia pouring in from other areas joined in to engage based upon reports of what had already happened and was continuing to unfold.
They didn't wait for (not that they would have needed to wait long) any new atrocity to further convince them that it was on like Donkey Kong.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Ratchett

the BBQ is good  ;)

I will tell you I start Sunday out with history... We tell folks on Saturday that the American Revolution was won in the hearts and minds of the colonists decades before the first shot on Lexington Green was ever fired... how, what caused them to win Liberty in their hearts and minds???? What planted that seed?  We have historical facts tat it was a group of men known as the Black Robe Regiment. It is historical and of the period. Many shooters who miss church on Sunday morning appreciate the story and the role 'religion' did play in the Revolution. "God created government and who can fathom that He would expect His people to not take part in something He created..." Opens a few eyes and light bulbs again snap on...

I consider it an enhancement story just like DOM and DD.  ;)

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

TaosGlock

To be clear, yes, the 3rd strike of the match itself actually starts at MC.
The whole 3S story as we usually tell it, starts at Concord and usually is finalized at Boston (Charlestown) when the exhausted and defeated Regulars stumble onto Bunker Hill.
Not only was this about sunset, per Lord Percy, on April 19, but the sun sun was setting on the ruins of the British Empire in America.

Jason Russell is a great stand alone story but I always include it in S3.
The modern words "A man's (from JR's word Englishman's) home is his castle" and the legal concept of "Castle Doctrine" in relation to our current CCW laws evolved from this story.

The Russell house still stands as a monument to the sacrifice he made to give us our liberties.
His story and Parkers Revenge can often be the point of the spear to delivering the message we want. The heart and soul so to speak.

Menotomy was a nightmare for sure and there are many authors that give vivid detail, John Gavin-The Minute Men and Stephen Hallahan-The Day the American Revolution Began for instance.

It is easy to over analyze the strikes, give too much detail, and lose the audience.
Thanks for starting this GD!

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose