News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2013 APPLESEED MATCHES

Started by N1YDP22, February 26, 2013, 06:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N1YDP22

this appleseed shooting sounds like alot of fun. is there alot of gun clubs that do this? i have some bolt action 22's i could use.do they shoot at 25 meters or longer?

2 clicks low

Welcome.

Appleseeds are lessons in heritage via the events that started the Revolution in 1775 and marksmanship. There are no matches. We do not compete except against ourselfs. What we do is teach you how to be a "Rifleman". If you "shoot the score", score expert on our adaptation of the Army Qualification Test we give you a patch and associated bragging rights. If you do this we will probibly ask you to join us and teach others.

Events are held all over the country. Check the schedule for a shoot near you.

Your bolt 22 is fine. Do bring a GI-Web sling.We teach at 25 meters. If the distanse is available and depending on the student needs and instructors we may take you out to 100 yds to prove what we teach at 25 works at 100. Sometimes we have gone farther but you would need a centerfire.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

N1YDP22

i think capital city gun club in augusta does this.i will have to get some more info on the course of fire and targets so i can practice.

Transform

N1YDP22, it is not necessary for you to practice before your first Appleseed, we will teach you everything you need to know to shoot our course of fire. Also, it is not common to shoot Rifleman at the first Appleseed, there is simply too much to learn. Please attend, and then plan to practice a lot, after your first Appleseed!

From http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_faq.html
Should I practice before I come?
It would definitely be a good idea to zero your rifle 3" high at 100 yards, then clean and lubricate it before your Appleseed. It would also be a good idea to get in the prone position at home, and dry-fire 10 "shots" 3 times a week to stretch your body out. That'd be one less thing to worry about on the day of the shoot.
As you see, it simply isn't necessary to practice shooting at our targets before you attend.

You will find most of the information you need to prepare for your first Appleseed at this link:  http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

ItsanSKS

Just as a point of clarification, the caution to not practice before attending your first Appleseed event is an effort to ensure that you are not simply ingraining bad habits.  We instructors all agree that teaching someone who has never handled a rifle before tends to result in better results, simply because the student had no bad habits to break.  There are certain things that you can learn from pictures and videos, but there is no substitute for hands-on correction from an experienced instructor.

You have likely heard all your life that "practice makes perfect". 

It isn't true. 

Practice makes permanent. 

Perfect practice makes perfection permanent. 

Which would you prefer?
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

N1YDP22

i am not new to shooting, i have shot silhouette,hi power rifle,idpa and steel plate.but maybe i will learn something to help my shooting. i just got a savage 64btv thumbhole stock heavy barrel with no sights.can i use a red dot or scope?

TOMINCT

PM incoming

Quote from: N1YDP22 on February 26, 2013, 07:52:03 PM
i think capital city gun club in augusta does this.i will have to get some more info on the course of fire and targets so i can practice.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Transform

N1YDP22, none of us assume that you're new to shooting. It's just that we get lots of experienced shooters who are surprised by how much they learn at an Appleseed. And many are surprised to learn that they have some "bad habits" to break before earning their Rifleman's patch. Either way, you're right, Appleseed is a lot of fun!

While we encourage people to consider an LTR (Liberty Training Rifle), feel free to "shoot what ya brung". We encourage the use of aperture sights, but your scope will be fine. You will want a USGI-type sling for each rifle, and a minimum of two 10-round magazines for the 64. The rest of the equipment needed is outlined in the two links I gave you earlier. Feel free to ask more questions, we're all volunteers and we're here to help!

TOMINCT

Ditto what Transform said. Use what you have and are used to. Nothing wrong with a bolt rifle for AS, used one myself.

Sent a pm, hope to get more info in the open soon. There are events pending for Maine as we speak.
Ramseur 2-12!

2 clicks low

Quote from: N1YDP22 on February 27, 2013, 08:22:24 PM
i am not new to shooting, i have shot silhouette,hi power rifle,idpa and steel plate.but maybe i will learn something to help my shooting. i just got a savage 64btv thumbhole stock heavy barrel with no sights.can i use a red dot or scope?

You can use eithor. I am wary of red dot's as many have a 4 to 6 MOA dot and the target we shoot is 4moa, thus I recomend the scope.
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

N1YDP22

thanks for all the info.i have a few 22's.a mossberg 44us and a 144lsa,savage 64 and mark ii fv,marlin 7000 and 1935 model 100,cz 425 and 455.

TOMINCT

And now there's the Appleseed event being held at PRFGCA range in Columbia that you can get to try them out at!

FWIW even when a shoot is closer it might still be a couple hour drive. But if you've the time and the notion, the 4/19 shoot on the 20-21 of April would be a great one to attend. More than the regular shoot, you won't be disappointed!

Quote from: N1YDP22 on March 07, 2013, 08:28:14 PM
thanks for all the info.i have a few 22's.a mossberg 44us and a 144lsa,savage 64 and mark ii fv,marlin 7000 and 1935 model 100,cz 425 and 455.
Ramseur 2-12!

The Old Guide

I know a guy in Maine who made Rifleman with a CZ 425. Very accurate rifle.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

N1YDP22

how much does it cost to shoot?