News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Club affiliation for CMP garand purchase

Started by Boston, January 10, 2013, 05:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: Boston on January 29, 2013, 12:54:04 AM
Did you use the minwax tung oil or another brand?

Minwax tung oil is not pure tung oil, it is a "tung oil finish". These are mixtures with varnish and driers. You do not want these, they will gloss and look more like a poly (yuck). You want 100% pure tung oil, nothing but nut if you will. In my case I used Hope's pure tung oil I got from Amazon. You do not meet a lot, 8 oz would last a lifetime.

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: Prairie Eagle on January 10, 2013, 06:28:00 PM

Good luck, now is a great time to get a Garand from the CMP. The golden era may be ending soon. Orest (the COO) said that they thought they had a few months of service grade specials last month, but with the recent influx of orders don't know how long they will last now.

The Springfield Service Grade sold out today, this was put on the CMP sales site

SOLD OUT NOT ACCEPTING ORDERS - Effective 2-5-13

ETA: Springfield Field Grade gone today as well with the same announcement.

Boston

Holy cow! Glad I went when I did. Looks like the buying "panic" is hitting all over.

The ones I saw at the store when I went where not that nice. Sorry I passed one up now but I am happy with mine.

Also saw they are limiting ammo to 12 cans a year. Two guys bought 22 and 17 cans while I was there so I am glad they did that so more people have an opportunity to get some of the ammo.

Prairie Eagle

Yep, if I wanted to get a Garand in 2013, I would really think hard and long about ordering one now. There are some HRAs left, and the specials, but given the low production numbers of HRAs I can't think there are a lot.

I am glad to see the 12 can a year limit too (to give everyone a chance). They have said that they have 1-2 years of the .30-06. I have stepped up my own 2 cans/month plan a bit myself (already got 6 before the limit) and I'm sure I will limit out. FWIW, the .30 carbine also sold out today, but that was never destined to last long.

IMHO the .30-06 HXP is the best thing going right now at .49 cents/round (stayed constant through all this). Who'da ever thunk .30-06 would be the "cheap stuff" ;-) Stack it deep. Heck, 22LR is selling for .30/round at many places, so I also ordered a case of Aguila from CMP (still.05/round there).

Boston

Just got the M1 out this weekend to zero it in. Had a great time shooting it and had my uncle in law and his son try it out as well. Quite a difference from shooting the old Matlin .22! Was missing the " ping" after the last round of the 22. :-)

Can't wait to get it out again and even try an AQT. Got the two round clip in case I can't manage the cross round trick in the 8 rounder.

Did you get a chance to fire yours yet?

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: Boston on February 18, 2013, 12:36:42 AM

Sadly, not yet for me  :'( . I need to get off the couch and get to it!  :---

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: Prairie Eagle on February 05, 2013, 09:02:40 PM

Good luck, now is a great time to get a Garand from the CMP. The golden era may be ending soon. Orest (the COO) said that they thought they had a few months of service grade specials last month, but with the recent influx of orders don't know how long they will last now.

The Springfield Service Grade sold out today, this was put on the CMP sales site

And now the Springfield Service Grade Specials are sold out as well. If anyone were sitting on the fence about a garand purchase it would be a very good time to get into action.

jwebster

Quote from: Prairie Eagle on February 22, 2013, 02:29:51 PM
Quote from: Prairie Eagle on February 05, 2013, 09:02:40 PM

And now the Springfield Service Grade Specials are sold out as well. If anyone were sitting on the fence about a garand purchase it would be a very good time to get into action.

If you keep up on the CMP forums it seems that the Springfield Service grades are really just on hold until they get the backlog of orders caught up. No point in having people order and have to wait a year to get one. This way they will catch up in a couple months and then offer more up.

The Service Grade Specials on the other hand, I haven't heard that they plan on selling more later.

KNAK

Quote from: Prairie Eagle on February 19, 2013, 02:12:59 PM

Seems like most everybody got to this weekend!
Thanks for the chance to experience a very nice rifle (and all the lessons learned at my first Appleseed).

hawkeye

The thing to do if your going to a store is to send your paper work in ahead of time so they can process it and tell you if your good or not. When you go to the store or the games there is less of a delay and more time to shop.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: KNAK on March 04, 2013, 10:49:40 AM
Quote from: Prairie Eagle on February 19, 2013, 02:12:59 PM

Seems like most everybody got to this weekend!
Thanks for the chance to experience a very nice rifle (and all the lessons learned at my first Appleseed).

Yep, finally a chance to break it in. I surprised myself with how well I was able to shoot with it. I could definitely see doing an AQT well with one.

Best part was sharing it with some new friends and helping them to shoot it as well. As long as it was dirty, might as well make it real dirty  ;D

Boston

Glad you got to break it in. I had a family commitment that arose last minute and had to picture myself on the firing line on Sunday afternoon. Looks like it would have been a good day to be shooting.

I will bring mine out in April so we can compare rifles. Already looking forward to next month.