News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

IBC - Battle Ground, WA - 19-20 Jan 2013 AAR

Started by Earl, January 21, 2013, 01:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

You can tell I haven't been around, just found this after the IBC was OVER! ???

But I did attend both days, was pleasantly surprised by old familiar faces from far away places. Good History shared and learned, good teaching techniques and plenty of encouragement to continue on the trail and telling the tales.

Good food, laughter, sharing, and a very nice place to play. Glad to start this Appleseed Year with an IBC.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Transform

A HUGE thank you to everyone there for making this such a GREAT IBC weekend! I'm bleary-eyed but incredibly jazzed about 2013! In the haze of my present delirium, I imagine that I can already feel the NW Region growing!

(Although no one said a thing, I'll be the first to admit that I most likely snored much louder than paulw.)

hawkhavn

Thank you everyone, it was great to see old friends and make new ones!

More soon,
HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

George Hacker

Wow...

Thank you, hawkhavn, for coming out to our neck of the woods to teach this IBC.  I learned a lot of practical tidbits that I didn't pick up on the Appleseed Trail.  You provided a safe learning environment and answered all of our questions about Appleseed.  Thank you.

It was a blessing to spend the weekend with old friends, new friends, and Transform and I finally met face to face.  I learned a lot from the comments and questions posed by the other participants.  If you haven't been to an IBC, you need to attend one.

Thank you, Venersborg Homemaker's Club, for letting us use the one room schoolhouse.  It was a perfect environment for classroom instruction (go figure).  Once we figured out the wood stove we stayed nice and toasty while freezing fog chilled to the bone outside.  A couple people commented that the schoolhouse would be a perfect venue for a history boot camp, so you may be hearing from us again.

Thank you to all of the instructors who attended, especially those of you who travelled quite a distance.  Everyone who brought food to share - thank you!  It was a pleasure getting to know you better over meals.

Finally, congratulations, Gunman Doc and Athena 1775 for spending your 10th wedding anniversary with us.  Many of the other instructors talked about your team presentation of the second strike.  May you both have many more years together.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

George Hacker

Check out the following link - it goes to Earl's blog post about this event.

Quote from: Earl on January 21, 2013, 02:00:20 PM
http://earl-earlsview.blogspot.com/2013/01/good-morning-america-seems-we-must.html

I had a wonderful time, and am broadcasting it where I haunt, will be walking around speaking up, see you on the range and the trail.

Earl, thanks for coming.  It was a pleasure having you there to share in the fun and to share your perspectives about the history.  You shared with us a soldier's perspective concerning the events of April 19, 1775 and that helped me better understand why the regulars took the actions they did.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

kenjo

+1 on a great weekend and Thank You! to hawkavn for making the journey to be with us and sharing his knowledge. I learned a lot and got to meet some folks from other parts of the country I might not have been able to meet otherwise. Definitely time well spent. I highly recommend an IBC to all instructors and IITs who haven't had the chance to do one yet.
"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."  Abraham Lincoln

Joni

Thank you everyone for coming and bringing food and making it so easy!! I have put the pics I took in my Picasa Album for you and here is the link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/GretaStuff/January20212013IBCVenersburgWA?authkey=Gv1sRgCJaVnM6audfEVA

as usual please take any you want!!
...and our Appleseed Family grows! Love it!
Joni

Athena 1775

What a wonderful event! Gunman Doc and I had a blast. I never thought that I'd spend my tenth wedding anniversary sleeping on the floor in a schoolhouse... with roommates!  But we were blessed with the company of some of the finest folks we'll ever hope to meet.  All I have to offer in return is gratitude (and Orange Hat cookies).

A big thank you to:
- hawkhavn for sharing so much knowledge and advice with us, and for his infinite patience with my zillions of questions.  :bow:
- ShadowMan for mentoring me through my first shoot last month.  I felt so much more prepared to drink from the "Instructor fire hose"!  And I look forward to using my new cookie cutter for my next shoot.
- Theopholis and Joni for their infinite kindness and support... and the warm jacket and blanket that they loaned me so that I didn't die from exposure on Saturday.  And special thanks to Joni for making sure everyone got fed.  I shudder to think what we would have done without her.
- tionico for tending the wood-burning stove and meeting everyone's caffeine needs each morning.
- paulw for my newly-beloved green Appleseed polo, and the best pancakes I've ever scarfed down in my footie pajamas.  Oh, and Joe still hasn't stopped raving about your ribs either.
- Earl for sharing his wisdom, military perspective, and quick wit.  If you haven't seen Earl throw himself on the ground and roll into the prone position, you haven't lived.
- Transform for his thoughtful feedback. (And I want you to know that I was unaware of any snoring.)
- Kimber Custom, kenjo, Tracy_B, RL, and Prescott for more things than I can list here.  Thanks for being a part of my IBC experience!

Gunman Doc and I presented our version of the Second Strike, where I narrated the colonists' actions and he narrated the British side.  We received some priceless feedback, and were encouraged to try the same format for the remaining two strikes.  We plan to do so, and hope to roll out the First and Third Strikes at our next shoots (assuming we have the blessing of our future Shoot Bosses, of course).

We must have been super-inspired by the end of the IBC... On our way back home Sunday night, we stayed in Portland and made a trip to Powell's Books.  And I think there was a bit of a theme in our shopping.  ;)  Check out the photos below.  There's one from Saturday night (when Gunman Doc and I were caught doing our nighttime reading), and then another from Sunday night (with our future nighttime reading all laid out on our hotel room bed).

One of the books in particular (center of bottom row) warranted a photo of its contents.  Look, Theophilus!  I totally understand cartridge boxes now! :)

Another book warrants some pictures, just because you might not believe me if I didn't have photographic proof.  Check out that back cover!  Revolution 1776: proof that you can't believe all of the history you read.

Thank you all for making us feel like we were a part of your Northwest Instructor corps, and thanks for bearing with this long post!  Hope to see you all again in the (relatively-near) future.

Athena 1775 (Jen)
"Spirit, that made those spirits dare / To die, and leave their children free..." -Emerson, "Concord Hymn"

"A day can press down all human things, and a day can raise them up." -Athena to Odysseus, Sophocles, "Ajax"

Transform

Quote from: Athena 1775 on January 22, 2013, 02:51:57 AM
All I have to offer in return is gratitude (and Orange Hat cookies).
(And your cookie and icing recipes.)

(And I want you to know that I was unaware of any snoring.)
That's so sweet of you to say!
(And pure fiction. I was so **** loud, I woke myself up.)

Thank you all for making us feel like we were a part of your Northwest Instructor corps,
Whaddya mean "feel like"? You were inducted! It's already time to start planning your next trip back up here...

Athena 1775

"Spirit, that made those spirits dare / To die, and leave their children free..." -Emerson, "Concord Hymn"

"A day can press down all human things, and a day can raise them up." -Athena to Odysseus, Sophocles, "Ajax"

Prescott

I would like especially thank George for setting up the IBC and Hawkhavn for flying out and leading the boot camp.

I am regretful that I missed Saturday, but I felt a need to support my fellow Oregonian on the steps on the Capitol.   The rally was good to show our law makers that our Constitutional rights are not negotiable and something they will not easily take away.

It was great seeing our new IIT's demonstate their mastery of teaching to the AS standard.   It was also great seeing Jen and Joe's rendition of the second strike.   I have heard the stories so many times, that it was fantastic to see a new rendition done so well.

I am glad I was able to attend to Sunday and pick up a few tips from other AS instructors.   It is always invaluable to attend any training program, as there is always a new tip or trick that can be picked up to incorporate into an event.

Thanks everyone for the great food and comraudery.   I am looking forward to seeing everyone at upcoming shoots in February.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln