News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Virginia Appleseeds?

Started by Rem870Fan, January 05, 2013, 09:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem870Fan

It has been a couple of years since I attended an Appleseed, and as a part of my New Year's resolution, I decided to sign up for one.  In checking out the Schedule page, I'm shocked to find there are ZERO Appleseeds scheduled in Virginia in 2013.  Specifically I'm looking for something in Central VA, near Richmond.

I had a great time at the last Appleseed in 2010, and was looking forward to finally achieving my Rifleman tab this year.  I'm hoping there are several that are being planned and they just haven't made the schedule yet. 

Let's hope it becomes a Happy New Year for Virginia!

hawkhavn

Yep, slight delay as we are implementing new scheduling software right now.
Manually inputting and maintaining 1000+ Appleseeds a year was a huge drain on our volunteers.

Stand by they will be up soon.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Rem870Fan on January 05, 2013, 09:40:31 AM
It has been a couple of years since I attended an Appleseed, and as a part of my New Year's resolution, I decided to sign up for one.  In checking out the Schedule page, I'm shocked to find there are ZERO Appleseeds scheduled in Virginia in 2013.  Specifically I'm looking for something in Central VA, near Richmond.

I had a great time at the last Appleseed in 2010, and was looking forward to finally achieving my Rifleman tab this year.  I'm hoping there are several that are being planned and they just haven't made the schedule yet. 

Let's hope it becomes a Happy New Year for Virginia!

Excellent New Year's resolution!  Best wishes in 2013 for a Rifleman badge.  Then you can take an orange hat and help get more shoots going in Virginia! 

You might be interested in something new since 2010; AppleCore.  Also known as "blue hats", these are individuals who have either not shot a Rifleman score, or have shot Rifleman and decided, for whatever reason, not to take an orange hat...yet. 

AppleCore are extremely valuable to the mission and provide all kinds of support services, both behind the scenes and also at shoots.  At a shoot, a blue hat can be invaluable by greeting shooters and running check-in, demonstrating positions, being an extra set of eyes for safety, clearing the line (when RSO qualified), and generally helping to support instruction.

You should think about volunteering for a blue hat and helping your state coordinator.  I am sure they would appreciate it.  Good luck!

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

BD

The various ranges have their annual meetings in the next few months and that is when we finalize the schedule.
Hang in there and rest assured we will start filling up the calender soon.
I look forward to seeing you and handing you a patch.
Up the Republic

Charles McKinley

Go forth and get a range near you to HOST APPLESEED!  VA could use a boost and you can be a key part in it.

Thanks for picking up a bucket and bailing.  O0  (PS you  have just been recruited)

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

The Wolfhound

Yeeesh!  I get run off my computer for a few days and so much happens.  Rem870fan, you will be happy with the schedule as nearly everthing is likly to be in the Richmond area.  Black Creek in Mechanicsville and Cavalier in Montpelier have hosted for us in the past and I expect they will again.  Some other private land options will likely come up and those are also near Richmond.  Stay tuned, as they say..........

j1mmyd

Glad to hear some are planned in VA. I'm a pretty green IIT, happily relocated from CA almost a year ago - which is where I last did a shoot. :-(  I'm eager to keep progressing, but not thrilled with going into the People Republic of Maryland as has been suggested. I'm happy to drive a few hours into any relatively free state. Hell, I flew from NYC to Sacramento for my first AS and took my son from NYC to Myakka for his!

In other words, "sign me up".

On the topic of ranges, has anyone talked to Silver Eagle in Ashburn?

FiremanBob

Jimmy, don't write off Maryland. We need to educate our fellow citizens in every state so that they can become active citizens in the process of preserving our republic. Every blue-state voter who comes to see the light is a big step forward.

That said, I look forward to meeting you on an AS this year, in whichever state.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Charles McKinley

There are some Pennsylvania shoots that aren't too bad of a drive from VA.  Chambersberg and the on near State College I will post the actual location when I think of it.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

The Wolfhound

I just heard from our friends at Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club.  We again have "Range 1" for 4 shoots:  April20-21, June 15-16, September 21-22 and November 16-17.  Official listings will be up in a few days.  Black Creek shoots should confirm this week.

misawa

Is Black Creek a 25m shoot also?  Cavalier is closer to me, but I've been wanting to check out Black Creek before making a commitment to a range.

Looking forward to patch #2!

Transform

Quote from: misawa on January 15, 2013, 10:36:28 PM
Cavalier is closer to me, but I've been wanting to check out Black Creek before making a commitment to a range.

If you're referring to which range to choose for your next Appleseed, sign up for BOTH ranges!
And remember to bring along some friends!

If you're referring to which range to join as a member, seriously consider becoming a member of both ranges.
Supporting ranges offers benefits beyond the ability to go shoot there. Without enough members, ranges tend to disappear. Although some new ranges open, there has been a net loss of ranges across the country in recent years. After a year or two, you might end up "making a commitment" to one range over the other, but you'll have better information about them at that point than you can get from just checking them out for a weekend.

jmdavis

Cavalier is an excellent facility which boasts ranges out to 500 yards and sporting clays, active High Power, silhouette, PPC, IDPA, Bullseye, cowboy action, 3 Gun and club shoots and  hosts over 110 matches per year as well as the Boy Scouts, 4H, Sea Scouts, and Appleseed. However the current wait list is between 1 and 2 years.

Black Creek is also an excellent facility with ranges to 100 yards, trap, active IDPA, cowboy action, and 3 Gun and it is possible to gain membership at this time of year, usually.

Mike
(who is a CAVRPC member and has been a Black Creek member as well)
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Pain Killer

There will be a Boot Camp for a week at the RWVA home range in Ramseur NC starting February 17 and another in August. You should come join us. There are camp ground facilities at the range.

Steve
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.