News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Introductions - check in here!

Started by Bullet, December 27, 2012, 12:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Do you have some contact info from some of the movers and shakers for the VA homeschool group?

Or even local some local contacts? Maybe we can help fill the lines. I'll even ask if we can get some homeschool discounts. We have plenty of space at the upcoming Montpelier, VA events - one is coming up on August 16-17, 2014.

Give me a PM.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

bryanrheem

Hello all!

Just attended my first AS event this past weekend in VA!  My wife has been homeschooling our son (age 9) has been home schooled from the beginning and our older daughter up through 7th grade (she now attends a Christian private school).  We're part of a classical conversations Co-Op and we supplement with American Providential History with resources such as 'American Patriot's Almanac'.

The AS program seems like a perfect fit as well and I thoroughly enjoyed the 'history' lessons.  I'm looking forward to getting my family involved with AS and seeing how I can get my HS community involved as well!

COSSACK

Hello everybody,  I am a Ukrainian (''ain't from around here" as they say in this part of country) Got my citizenship last Sept. We have 4 kids ages 14 through 5. All home schooled. Just got my rifleman score of 229 yesterday.  That was my 2nd Appleseed event.
I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out
    in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
    of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.
                        Jack London

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: COSSACK on October 27, 2014, 01:50:02 PM
Hello everybody,  I am a Ukrainian (''ain't from around here" as they say in this part of country) Got my citizenship last Sept. We have 4 kids ages 14 through 5. All home schooled. Just got my rifleman score of 229 yesterday.  That was my 2nd Appleseed event.

Welcome, Ivan... and congratulations on your shiny new Orange Hat!

-Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

inSANEmom

Hi, Ivan! It was so great to meet you yesterday! I look forward to "seeing" you around here!
-----AMY-----

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have. - Ronald Reagan

COSSACK

Thank you you Amy and Rusty. :bow: :bow: I figured the remark about the shiny new hat meant go get it sweaty and grimy. Or is it "Make sure it stays shiny, as in uniform shiny."  ??? Oh, this English language laced with hidden agendas!!!!!!  :shootself: 15 years and I still cant get it all. Just kidding. I had very good time. Meeting old friends and making new ones, that is what makes us feel alive.
I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out
    in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
    of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.
                        Jack London

Sparkee

My name is Sandra, wife of James and mom of Grace and Gus in Tennessee.  Two years ago, we took the kids to their first Appleseed and I spent the day reloading magazines. We were so moved by the stories of brave Americans, I asked for my first rifle as a Mother's Day present.  The entire family participated in the next shoot and I scored Rifleman the first day and earned the "Shoot Like a Girl" cap.  It's all about having a teachable attitude!  After several requests to advance to orange hat, they convinced me with the sale tactic of my ability to teach since I was a "mature woman" (they don't know me well enough...wrinkles does not mean maturity).  We homeschool because we love God and want Him to be driving force in our children's life.  We pray everyday that our leaders exhibit the  moral integrity of our forefathers and our citizens to use wisdom.  We are blessed to be associated with such a wonderful group in the TN-GA-AL region.

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: Sparkee on May 13, 2015, 02:10:00 PM
My name is Sandra, wife of James and mom of Grace and Gus in Tennessee.  Two years ago, we took the kids to their first Appleseed and I spent the day reloading magazines. We were so moved by the stories of brave Americans, I asked for my first rifle as a Mother's Day present.  The entire family participated in the next shoot and I scored Rifleman the first day and earned the "Shoot Like a Girl" cap.  It's all about having a teachable attitude!  After several requests to advance to orange hat, they convinced me with the sale tactic of my ability to teach since I was a "mature woman" (they don't know me well enough...wrinkles does not mean maturity).  We homeschool because we love God and want Him to be driving force in our children's life.  We pray everyday that our leaders exhibit the  moral integrity of our forefathers and our citizens to use wisdom.  We are blessed to be associated with such a wonderful group in the TN-GA-AL region.

I told y'all to lock the door or people like this will start showing up.   #) :wb:   &)

Hi Sandra!  Glad you made it.    ..:..
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

OleSlewFoot

My name is CJ and my wife and I will begin homeschooling our oldest soon.  We currently reside in Wisconsin on our farm in New Auburn.  Our kids are five, almost two, and three months, one boy and two girls.  We have been determined to homeschool our children for over 16 years, mostly because we were both public schooled and don't necessarily want our children exposed to the bad habits of other peoples children and/or them being ill-educated by well meaning people.  Public schooling exposed us to so many things we didn't need to know about.

I have attended three AS events over the last couple of summers as a shooter and look forward to becoming an AS Instructor so my family can help spread the AS message in our community.  The idea that citizens should be active in their governance seems so novel; however, it is amazing how many people I come into contact with that are non participatory and really could care less about the destiny of their country.  I'll be honest, I signed up for my first AS simply to learn how to shoot better.  I had no idea about the historical lessons I would be learning and that was great!  I really enjoyed hearing the stories that my instructors told as it reinforced my personally held beliefs about how great many of the colonist were and how they sacrificed everything to give us a nation that revered liberty and honored God!

I'm hooked and hope that all of my family will, in time, find AS in high esteem as well. 

OleSlewFoot  :---
OleSlewFoot

Bravo_Alex

Looks like it's been a hot minute since any Appleseed homeschoolers checked in here...I know there are a bunch of new homeschoolers this year; where're ya at?

I guess I'll start...I'm Alex, just completed my first Appleseed in Maryland together w/my 2 oldest sons. My eldest even earned Rifleman! Motivation for the rest of us, I guess...my wife & I have homeschooled our 6 kids since 2010. I was homeschooled K-12, so we have a bit of experience. We definitely enjoy the ability to direct our kids' education. As they enter high-school, though, we're learning to give them more responsibility for their own learning.

On, new & old homeschoolers, how are you all?!

Nashville Stage

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Sheepdog87

Didn't really see this thread, or I might've checked in sooner.

I too am a Marylander! Father of 6, 4 of which are currently being homeschooled by my amazing wife. My first Appleseed was this last Spring with my oldest. He did not make Rifleman, but is itching to go back for another try. My second also wants to go out to an event, which I will take him once he is old enough. Trying to teach all my kids the importance of marksmanship. I also just did my second event, this time a one-day that I organized with 5 of my co-workers. I will say that I enjoyed the amount of and focus on history in the 2-day event more than the 1-day, but it was still a ton of fun and learning.
--ARW
Morgan's Shingle and Redcoats Cleared 07 MAR 2020
Rifleman 07 MAR 2020
Distinguished Optics 08 MAR 2020
Winterseed 23 JAN 2021

Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
-1 Corinthians 10:31

Bravo_Alex

Nice to see you here! Did you shoot at Annapolis?

Good to know about the 2 vs 1 days...I'm looking at doing a 2-day with my wife,  then a 1-day with the boys. Both in December.

I've taught all my children except the youngest about firearm safety, but waiting for them to be interested to get them in an AppleSeed. I think it'll happen.

Sheepdog87

My first event was at Marriotsville. The last one was at Annapolis. I liked the Annapolis range more, although it was closer quarters, but it was shaded and private, so we didn't have to wait for the funky cease-fire schedule that happens at Marriotsville.
--ARW
Morgan's Shingle and Redcoats Cleared 07 MAR 2020
Rifleman 07 MAR 2020
Distinguished Optics 08 MAR 2020
Winterseed 23 JAN 2021

Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
-1 Corinthians 10:31

ErsatzMacGuffin

I am originally from Florida and was homeschooled up until the 5th grade. 

I have started with Appleseed for the purposes of developing my marksmanship and honoring my heritage.  I have several ancestors who fought in the War and their actions deserve recognition in whatever way I can.
Rifleman - 18 October 2020
Orange Hat - 18 October 2020
Known Distance Rifleman - 22 November 2020
Pistoleerâ„¢ - 12 June 2021

Captain Amos Horton, Jr. - Kershaw Regiment / Camden District Regiment - South Carolina
Richard Hannah, Sr., James Eaddy, and Samuel Eaddy - "Marion's Men" - South Carolina
James McDaniel - 2nd South Carolina Regiment
Joseph Stonecipher - Wilkes County Militia - North Carolina
Reuben Ard - Washington District Militia - North Carolina
Phillip Hildebrand - 4th Company, 4th Pennsylvania Battalion
Robert Henderson, Sr. - 1st Company, 2nd Pennsylvania Battalion
Shadrick Jones - 3rd New York Regiment
Francis Coley - Charles City Militia / Second Virginia Brigade

Jakob Barthel - Grenadier Regiment von Rall

Bravo_Alex

Agreed, AGC's cease-fire schedule is wonky. I guess that's what you need to do with 100 firing points!

Ersatz, I think you've come to the right place ;D

CNC Apps Guy

Not new to Homeschooling, but new to Appleseed. We just attended our first one this past weekend in Piru, California.

We've home-schooled 3 of our 4 children. Homeschooling since about 2002-2003. Our 2nd some we home schooled from 2nd grade to 10th. He was an athlete (starting QB) and he felt it was important to actually go to the school to bond with the other players. Served him well. He started Varsity mid-way through his sophomore season. Our 3rd, we home-schooled from K-12. He is currently pursuing a career in Law Enforcement so he had to get a GED as well as his Home School Diploma. Part of some state regulation for civil servants. And our 4th son is the last one left in the nest. He's in 11th grade. Hopefully we can implement some of the stuff we learned and go into more detail in his US History and Government classes. Great thing about homeschooling is it's easy to add items to the instruction.

Nashville Stage

Welcome! I was homeschooled in California back in the early 90s and took the CHSPE. Glad you could attend an event!
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Bravo_Alex

CNC Apps Guy, your family really shows how flexible schooling can be! We've had our kids in public school, charter homeschools, "traditional" homeschooling, and now use a coop. Our oldest is 14, but it seems to be working so far...

How many of you were at the Appleseed event?

Mrs. America

I am a homeschool mom married to Captain America with one daughter, pepper spray, still in high school. I have graduated two already. I am trying to figure out how to count the hours for Appleseed. Riflery counts as PE and the history  hours count for history,  but how do I make a class out of those?I need to make a class description and I'm thinking I'm going to have to separate the hours spent running the range versus hours studying for and giving instruction. And whether it is history instruction or riflery instruction. Anybody have any ideas?I need to turn Appleseed language into education-ese. I also need some kind of writing assignments or tests of some kind that I can document.